Paul Mc Cann

Default 3 phase wiring

I disconnected a couple of 3ph machines this week and moved them to new
premises where the appropriate switches have been wired and installed.

I had been intending to have a 'Professional' in to wire them up but am
now considering doing it myself/

The wiring was left on the machines when they were moved but I'm now
looking at a cable end which has one earth wire and 4 other wires, all
of which are white !

The outlet is easier understood as it only has an earth and two other
terminals (I just had a quick look)

So what do I do with the 4 white wires. (I know, I really should have
paid more attention when I dis-connected them ;-( )

--
Paul Mc Cann
Sparks

I disconnected a couple of 3ph machines this week and moved them to new
premises where the appropriate switches have been wired and installed.

I had been intending to have a 'Professional' in to wire them up but am
now considering doing it myself/

The wiring was left on the machines when they were moved but I'm now
looking at a cable end which has one earth wire and 4 other wires, all
of which are white !

The outlet is easier understood as it only has an earth and two other
terminals (I just had a quick look)

So what do I do with the 4 white wires. (I know, I really should have
paid more attention when I dis-connected them ;-( )

If the outlet only has three connections, one of them being earth, then this
is a single phase circuit!

Sparks...

:::Jerry::::

"Paul Mc Cann" wrote in message
.. .
I disconnected a couple of 3ph machines this week and moved them to new
premises where the appropriate switches have been wired and installed.

I had been intending to have a 'Professional' in to wire them up but am
now considering doing it myself/

The wiring was left on the machines when they were moved but I'm now
looking at a cable end which has one earth wire and 4 other wires, all
of which are white !

The outlet is easier understood as it only has an earth and two other
terminals (I just had a quick look)

So what do I do with the 4 white wires. (I know, I really should have
paid more attention when I dis-connected them ;-( )

Sounds like you need a 3ph supply to start with !...

You are going to need a least (ph) terminals plus an earth, it sounds like
you only have a single ph, neutral and earth supply. I suggest you get in a
electrician as you can get 440 v shocks / shorts from a 3ph supply and you
also need to connect the motors up correctly if they are rotation critical.

Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:48:55 +0100, :::Jerry:::: wrote:

and you also need to connect the motors up correctly if they are
rotation critical.

A problem if the device must *never* run backwards. However if it's
not vital and you get it wrong simply swap two of the phases.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Capitol

Paul Mc Cann wrote:
So what do I do with the 4 white wires. (I know, I really should have
paid more attention when I dis-connected them ;-( )

Find a 3 phase and neutral supply! Sounds like a motor is involved. The
4 wires should be 3 phase wires and a neutral. The motor probably is a
star start(230V) Delta run(440V) connection.

IIRC correctly, if the motor runs backwards, it is only necessary to
reverse two of the Phase connections. NOT the Neutral!!

It's a few years since I played with these, so, I'd do a quick look up
on Google to get better information.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Capitol

Paul Mc Cann

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:13:54 +0100, Paul Mc Cann
wrote:

In article ,
says...
I disconnected a couple of 3ph machines this week and moved them to new
premises where the appropriate switches have been wired and installed.

I had been intending to have a 'Professional' in to wire them up but am
now considering doing it myself/

The wiring was left on the machines when they were moved but I'm now
looking at a cable end which has one earth wire and 4 other wires, all
of which are white !

The outlet is easier understood as it only has an earth and two other
terminals (I just had a quick look)

So what do I do with the 4 white wires. (I know, I really should have
paid more attention when I dis-connected them ;-( )

If the outlet only has three connections, one of them being earth, then this
is a single phase circuit!

Sparks...

Whoops ! I did say I only had a quick look ! I'll go back tomorrow and
look again.

Had another look. What I see are earth wire to connector block on
right. Return (?) blue wire to connector block on left and 3 brown
wires wired into top of actual switch.

I haven't removed the machine connector box cover but I am assuming
that both the earth and return will be easily identified amongst the
wires in which the lead terminates . After that is there any way I
can identify the correct wiring of the remaining 3 wires or do I just
give up and call in a professional ?

(The machine is a panel saw with main and scoring blade)

Paul Mc Cann

Andy Hall

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:16:14 +0000, Paul Mc Cann
wrote:

Had another look. What I see are earth wire to connector block on
right. Return (?) blue wire to connector block on left and 3 brown
wires wired into top of actual switch.

I haven't removed the machine connector box cover but I am assuming
that both the earth and return will be easily identified amongst the
wires in which the lead terminates . After that is there any way I
can identify the correct wiring of the remaining 3 wires or do I just
give up and call in a professional ?

(The machine is a panel saw with main and scoring blade)

Paul Mc Cann

You could ask the manufacturer if it matters if the machine runs
backwards, Paul.

Is this the CF731? Remember that the spindle can be reversed on the
switch and is done by transposing two of the phase wires, AFAIK.

If it is OK for the machine to be allowed to run backwards without
damage, then all you do is transpose two of the phase wires if it's
wrong.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Paul Mc Cann

wrote:

[...]

No Andy, the CF731 is single phase, I have it at home . This is an
Altendorf we use for manufacturing. I have a multi-spindle boring
machine to re-connect which is 3 phase also. I really wish I had paid
more attention when I dis-connected them but at the time thought I
would be calling in the pros.

Paul

Andy Hall

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:39:53 +0000, Paul Mc Cann
wrote:

No Andy, the CF731 is single phase, I have it at home . This is an
Altendorf we use for manufacturing. I have a multi-spindle boring
machine to re-connect which is 3 phase also. I really wish I had paid
more attention when I dis-connected them but at the time thought I
would be calling in the pros.

Paul

Of course - I remember the discussion about your problems with the
convertor.

As far as I am aware, the electricity suppliers don't guarantee the
relationship between the phases anyway, so test gear would be needed
to confirm them if you have to be sure about direction of rotation of
the motors before powering up.

I can't think of a reason that the motor running backwards on a saw
would be a problem (if you are not cutting obviously); but if you are
going to connect yourself, I would contact Altendorf and ask.