Pecanfan

Default Steel costs?

Can anyone give me an approximation of how much I'll be expected to pay for
12 x 2.3m lengths of 220x75 PFC / RSC? (pre-drilled, cut to precise lengths
and delivered). I've checked shop4steel.com but they only do 12m lengths
and it seems quite dear (and I don't fancy trying to cut this stuff in the
street).

Also, according to shop4steel.com the 200x75 stuff is 23Kg/m. How realistic
is it that I'm going to be able to lift the steel into a loft, precisely
manoeuvre it all into place and bolt it all together with 20mm bolts,
myself?

(search for "A loft hatch, joist cutting challenge for you..." on Google
Groups for the story behind this!)

TIA,

Andy

nightjar

"Pecanfan" wrote in message
Can anyone give me an approximation of how much I'll be expected to pay
for
12 x 2.3m lengths of 220x75 PFC / RSC? (pre-drilled, cut to precise
lengths
and delivered). I've checked shop4steel.com but they only do 12m lengths
and it seems quite dear (and I don't fancy trying to cut this stuff in the
street).

Also, according to shop4steel.com the 200x75 stuff is 23Kg/m. How
realistic
is it that I'm going to be able to lift the steel into a loft, precisely
manoeuvre it all into place and bolt it all together with 20mm bolts,
myself?

That is 53kgs, or about a hundredweight. Whether that is practical to move
alone will depend a lot on how strong you are. I know many people who have
trouble even lifting that, much less be able to manoeuvre it through a loft
hatch. In any case, for safety and control, I would use a hoist and / or
enlist the help of a couple of other people.

Colin Bignell

John Rumm

Pecanfan wrote:

Can anyone give me an approximation of how much I'll be expected to pay for
12 x 2.3m lengths of 220x75 PFC / RSC? (pre-drilled, cut to precise lengths
and delivered). I've checked shop4steel.com but they only do 12m lengths
and it seems quite dear (and I don't fancy trying to cut this stuff in the
street).

Don't know - will probably vary from area to area etc. I think I paid
about 450 for all my steel, but at least two thirds of the price was
bolts, joist hangers, dogs etc. The actual flitch plates I had made were
quite cheap (120 maybe). That was for 4 plates 200x8 mm all 4m or so.
Drilled, painted etc.

Also, according to shop4steel.com the 200x75 stuff is 23Kg/m. How realistic
is it that I'm going to be able to lift the steel into a loft, precisely
manoeuvre it all into place and bolt it all together with 20mm bolts,
myself?

I would enlist the help of a friend. My flitch plates were comparable
weight (although longer, and a bit floppy in one axis!). Lifting them is
one thing, getting them up ladders and through gaps on your own is quite
another - it was hard enough with two of us. If you plan to get them
through a loft hatch then it may be worth having a practice with a
similar length of 4x2" just to make sure you can get round all the
corners you need to.

--
Cheers,

John.

Richard

"Pecanfan" wrote in message ...
Can anyone give me an approximation of how much I'll be expected to pay for
12 x 2.3m lengths of 220x75 PFC / RSC? (pre-drilled, cut to precise lengths
and delivered). I've checked shop4steel.com but they only do 12m lengths
and it seems quite dear (and I don't fancy trying to cut this stuff in the
street).

Also, according to shop4steel.com the 200x75 stuff is 23Kg/m. How realistic
is it that I'm going to be able to lift the steel into a loft, precisely
manoeuvre it all into place and bolt it all together with 20mm bolts,
myself?

(search for "A loft hatch, joist cutting challenge for you..." on Google
Groups for the story behind this!)

TIA,

Andy

This may give you a rough idea at what you could be expected to pay:

I bought some steel a few weeks back, a couple of 100X100x4.0
Rectangular Hollow sections cut to around 7.5 ft in length and paid
£104 each.

I also bought a larger RHS 200X100x6.0 which was 3.3 metres long
(£180). This thing weighed a ton and me thinking I could of done this
myself!! it took 4 of us to lift into place resting ontop of the
other 100x100x4.0 sections. Ask a neighbour to help you out or recall
some favours from your mates. If your just dragging it and not lifting
over head you should be fine with one person helping you out I would
think.

Cheers

Richard
Pecanfan

This may give you a rough idea at what you could be expected to pay:

I bought some steel a few weeks back, a couple of 100X100x4.0
Rectangular Hollow sections cut to around 7.5 ft in length and paid
£104 each.

I also bought a larger RHS 200X100x6.0 which was 3.3 metres long
(£180). This thing weighed a ton and me thinking I could of done this
myself!! it took 4 of us to lift into place resting ontop of the
other 100x100x4.0 sections. Ask a neighbour to help you out or recall
some favours from your mates. If your just dragging it and not lifting
over head you should be fine with one person helping you out I would
think.

Mmm... OK, cheers for all the comments. Well, based on shop4steel.com it
was going to cost £518.25 for 3 x 12.2m lengths of 200 x 75 PFC, but that's
going to be completely impractical. I've phoned around a few steel
stockists and they're after ~£800 for the 12 lengths cut and pre-drilled.
Just waiting on one more company to get back to me.

Apart from anything else, I'm slightly concerned about the ceiling taking
the weight of all this steel while I'm manoeuvring it into position. In
case you hadn't guessed, I've had the drawings back from the structural
engineer and I need to bolt PFC to either side of the two big chords running
from the front to back of the loft
(http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/loftplan.gif). Think I might have to use some
temporary props to support the ceiling while I'm working on this, especially
if I'm going to have a few people up there helping me...

One final question, how realistic is it that I'll be able to drill 20mm
holes in this stuff myself? Not at all I suspect... For the sake of an
extra £150 or so I think I'll opt for pre-drilling.

I can see this being fun... :-)

Andy

Rick Dipper

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:16:27 +0100, "Pecanfan"
wrote:

Can anyone give me an approximation of how much I'll be expected to pay for
12 x 2.3m lengths of 220x75 PFC / RSC? (pre-drilled, cut to precise lengths
and delivered). I've checked shop4steel.com but they only do 12m lengths
and it seems quite dear (and I don't fancy trying to cut this stuff in the
street).

Also, according to shop4steel.com the 200x75 stuff is 23Kg/m. How realistic
is it that I'm going to be able to lift the steel into a loft, precisely
manoeuvre it all into place and bolt it all together with 20mm bolts,
myself?

(search for "A loft hatch, joist cutting challenge for you..." on Google
Groups for the story behind this!)

TIA,

Andy

It depends where you live, I got my steel for less than shop4steel,
but them my place is just round the corner from a big steel
fabricators, but if I had been in the city, I would have expected to
pay more.

The steel is not massivly heavy, I have a 7m 10*4 RSJ to get on my
roof (no crances can get in), its only 300KG. thats less than 4 men to
lift it.

Once is almost in place moving it small ammounts is just a matter of
nudging it with a hammer, but if you have a small slot in a wall to
get it into (for example) this may be somewhat harder.

Rick

Steel Choice? Paul Batozech Metalworking 5 April 28th 04 09:51 PM
Loft Conversion, Steel Trimmer end bearing support Kevin Walton UK diy 5 November 22nd 03 08:47 AM
Drilling through a steel pipe. Harold & Susan Vordos Metalworking 3 October 1st 03 06:24 PM
Plastering onto steel Frank Z UK diy 9 July 31st 03 01:18 PM
blue steel for carving tools? Bob Swinney Metalworking 7 July 17th 03 01:39 AM