roger

Default Table Tennis table top

Our stand is fine but the top needs replacing.
Two 5' 0" x 4' 6" sheets of chipboard or MDF?
Which would be best?
Plywood definitely doesn't seem to have the 'bounce'.

Is the matt green paint anything special?
Or do I just get Dulux matt oilpaint mixed to the right colour?

This *is* just a 'fun' table BTW.

TIA
--
roger
delete x's to email
Peter Taylor

"roger" wrote in message
Our stand is fine but the top needs replacing.
Two 5' 0" x 4' 6" sheets of chipboard or MDF?
Which would be best?
Plywood definitely doesn't seem to have the 'bounce'.

Is the matt green paint anything special?
Or do I just get Dulux matt oilpaint mixed to the right colour?

This *is* just a 'fun' table BTW.

OK, but you might as well get it right as get it wrong. These are the official
Rules of Table Tennis concerning the table:

2.1 THE TABLE
2.1.1 The upper surface of the table, known as the playing surface, shall be
rectangular, 2.74m long and 1.525m wide, and shall lie in a horizontal plane
76cm above the floor.
2.1.2 The playing surface shall not include the vertical sides of the tabletop.
2.1.3 The playing surface may be of any material and shall yield a uniform
bounce of about 23cm when a standard ball is dropped on to it from a height of
30cm.
2.1.4 The playing surface shall be uniformly dark coloured and matt, but with a
white side line, 2cm wide, along each 2.74m edge and a white end line, 2cm wide,
along each 1.525m edge.
2.1.5 The playing surface shall be divided into 2 equal courts by a vertical
net running parallel with the end lines, and shall be continuous over the whole
area of each court.
2.1.6 For doubles, each court shall be divided into 2 equal half-courts by a
white centre line, 3mm wide, running parallel with the side lines; the centre
line shall be regarded as part of each right half-court.

All the other Laws are on the International Table Tennis Federation website -
http://www.ittf.com/

Peter

Arthur

I think the rules of the game have a standard test for 'bounciness'.
I think it is something like this.
It involves dropping a TT ball from a height of 12" above the table surface
and it should bounce to height of about 10".

You will probably find the exact ruling on almost any table tennins web
page.

The thickness of the top will also have an effect. My guess is that any
material
greater than 20mm thick will provide an acceptable playing surface.
A table with an inch thick surface will
My youth club had a home made table built with 1" thick plywood a long long
long time ago.

Good luck.

Arthur.

"roger" wrote in message
Our stand is fine but the top needs replacing.
Two 5' 0" x 4' 6" sheets of chipboard or MDF?
Which would be best?
Plywood definitely doesn't seem to have the 'bounce'.

Is the matt green paint anything special?
Or do I just get Dulux matt oilpaint mixed to the right colour?

This *is* just a 'fun' table BTW.

TIA
--
roger
delete x's to email

roger

Arthur writes
I think the rules of the game have a standard test for 'bounciness'.
I think it is something like this.
It involves dropping a TT ball from a height of 12" above the table surface
and it should bounce to height of about 10".

You will probably find the exact ruling on almost any table tennins web
page.

The thickness of the top will also have an effect. My guess is that any
material
greater than 20mm thick will provide an acceptable playing surface.
A table with an inch thick surface will
My youth club had a home made table built with 1" thick plywood a long long
long time ago.

Thanks Arthur - it's Youth Club standard I'm aiming for.
--
roger
roger

Peter Taylor writes

OK, but you might as well get it right as get it wrong.

Absolutely.
These are the official
Rules of Table Tennis concerning the table:

Just what I needed. I had obviously been googling in the wrong places.

Many thanks.
--
roger
delete x's to email

Where can I find chrome table legs Daniel J. R. May UK diy 5 January 25th 04 02:52 AM
table saws? simon beer UK diy 13 October 24th 03 06:20 PM
Fitting router to 10" table saw? Peter Ashby UK diy 13 August 16th 03 07:45 AM