TRK's dad

Default FAO Setsquare

Just a follow up to an old thread (Google groups won't let me post to
a thread more than one month old) - http://tinyurl.com/5ohxs

Thanks for all your help.

My father in law and I replaced our old hot water cylinder as the
tests you suggested confirmed that a dodgy coil was to blame. I was
even able to use the cylinder that he had taken out of his house to
have a solar hot water system installed so it cost next to nothing.

So far everything seems to be working satisfactorily.
Set Square

TRK's dad wrote:

Just a follow up to an old thread (Google groups won't let me post to
a thread more than one month old) - http://tinyurl.com/5ohxs

Thanks for all your help.

My father in law and I replaced our old hot water cylinder as the
tests you suggested confirmed that a dodgy coil was to blame. I was
even able to use the cylinder that he had taken out of his house to
have a solar hot water system installed so it cost next to nothing.

So far everything seems to be working satisfactorily.

I'm glad that we have a result - and that we rank amateurs (IMM please
note!) are able to provide some useful advice now and again.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andy Hall

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:20:40 +0100, "Set Square"

TRK's dad wrote:

Just a follow up to an old thread (Google groups won't let me post to
a thread more than one month old) - http://tinyurl.com/5ohxs

Thanks for all your help.

My father in law and I replaced our old hot water cylinder as the
tests you suggested confirmed that a dodgy coil was to blame. I was
even able to use the cylinder that he had taken out of his house to
have a solar hot water system installed so it cost next to nothing.

So far everything seems to be working satisfactorily.

I'm glad that we have a result - and that we rank amateurs (IMM please
note!) are able to provide some useful advice now and again.

You've probably been commutated to an armature now then :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Rumm

Andy Hall wrote:

You've probably been commutated to an armature now then :-)

Time to Brush up on your puns again? Is your stator aim to see this
thread winding up like some of the others??

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:40:02 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

You've probably been commutated to an armature now then :-)

Time to Brush up on your puns again? Is your stator aim to see this
thread winding up like some of the others??

It's part of a three phase approach - this is just the starter.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

John Rumm

Andy Hall wrote:

It's part of a three phase approach - this is just the starter.

The Induction course you might say then?

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:22:16 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

It's part of a three phase approach - this is just the starter.

The Induction course you might say then?

I knew I'd get shafted, but I'm bearing up.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Set Square" wrote in message
TRK's dad wrote:

Just a follow up to an old thread (Google groups won't let me post to
a thread more than one month old) - http://tinyurl.com/5ohxs

Thanks for all your help.

My father in law and I replaced our old hot water cylinder as the
tests you suggested confirmed that a dodgy coil was to blame. I was
even able to use the cylinder that he had taken out of his house to
have a solar hot water system installed so it cost next to nothing.

So far everything seems to be working satisfactorily.

I'm glad that we have a result - and that we rank amateurs (IMM please
note!) are able to provide some useful advice now and again.

You are are star, and don't arf torque some delta.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:34:16 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message
TRK's dad wrote:

Just a follow up to an old thread (Google groups won't let me post to
a thread more than one month old) - http://tinyurl.com/5ohxs

Thanks for all your help.

My father in law and I replaced our old hot water cylinder as the
tests you suggested confirmed that a dodgy coil was to blame. I was
even able to use the cylinder that he had taken out of his house to
have a solar hot water system installed so it cost next to nothing.

So far everything seems to be working satisfactorily.

I'm glad that we have a result - and that we rank amateurs (IMM please
note!) are able to provide some useful advice now and again.

You are are star, and don't arf torque some delta.

Very good. I'll give you that one. :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Christian McArdle

It's part of a three phase approach - this is just the starter.

I prefer an alternator approach, myself.

Christian.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:30:12 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

It's part of a three phase approach - this is just the starter.

I prefer an alternator approach, myself.

Christian.

Real dynamo, aren't we? :-)

Still, I suppose it always pays to be direct on line.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Christian McArdle

I prefer an alternator approach, myself.

Real dynamo, aren't we? :-)

Still, I suppose it always pays to be direct on line.

Just trying to generate some discussion. I like to get to the core of the
issue, rather than stalling for time.

Christian.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:29:38 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I prefer an alternator approach, myself.

Real dynamo, aren't we? :-)

Still, I suppose it always pays to be direct on line.

Just trying to generate some discussion. I like to get to the core of the
issue, rather than stalling for time.

Christian.

I think you're creating static - I can tell van der graaf (with
apologies to our Dutch readers).

In Wimshurst, you would be charged and probably die electric.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

I prefer an alternator approach, myself.

Real dynamo, aren't we? :-)

Still, I suppose it always pays to be direct on line.

Just trying to generate some discussion. I like to get to the core of the
issue, rather than stalling for time.

Christian.

I think you're creating static - I can tell van der graaf (with
apologies to our Dutch readers).

In Wimshurst, you would be charged and probably die electric.

IMM totally lost here

--
geoff
Brian Sharrock

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
I prefer an alternator approach, myself.

Real dynamo, aren't we? :-)

Still, I suppose it always pays to be direct on line.

Just trying to generate some discussion. I like to get to the core of the
issue, rather than stalling for time.

Is it to soon to talk about Fleming's *-hand rule/law.?
Jenny-Right-or
and
Motor-on-the-Left,

--

Brian

Owain

"Andy Hall" wrote
| In Wimshurst, you would be charged and probably die electric.

DOesn't have quite the same jingly feel-good feel as "cook electric"; I can
see why the Electricity Boards as were didn't have telly adverts urging
people to "die electric".

Owain

Andy Hall

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:03:00 +0100, "Owain"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote
| In Wimshurst, you would be charged and probably die electric.

DOesn't have quite the same jingly feel-good feel as "cook electric"; I can
see why the Electricity Boards as were didn't have telly adverts urging
people to "die electric".

Owain

When I lived in North Wales, there was a shop in the village run by a
venerable gentleman called Dai Jones.

It was a double fronted Victorian shop with a glass display window on
each side and the entrance door in the centre, like hundreds of
thousands of shops of its type around the country.

What was interesting here though, was the combination of merchandise.
The enterprising Dai was both the village greengrocer and the
electrical shop, one on each side.

If you went in there to buy a light bulb and he was selling potatoes,
he would take off his brown overall, go out to the back of the shop,
wash his hands and return in his white overall to serve on the
electrical side.

Then he'd change back

It took ages of course, but nobody seemed to mind.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Owain

"Andy Hall" wrote
| When I lived in North Wales, there was a shop in the village run
| by a venerable gentleman called Dai Jones.

Not Evans the Electric then.

| What was interesting here though, was the combination of merchandise.
| The enterprising Dai was both the village greengrocer and the
| electrical shop, one on each side.

When I lived in Mid Wales there was a shop that did electrics and bicycles.
And in Edinburgh there is a shop that is Darts and Television.

Owain

Andy Hall

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:46:42 +0100, "Owain"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote
| When I lived in North Wales, there was a shop in the village run
| by a venerable gentleman called Dai Jones.

Not Evans the Electric then.

| What was interesting here though, was the combination of merchandise.
| The enterprising Dai was both the village greengrocer and the
| electrical shop, one on each side.

When I lived in Mid Wales there was a shop that did electrics and bicycles.
And in Edinburgh there is a shop that is Darts and Television.

Owain

Don't tell my wife that. She already thinks in terms of throwing
darts at pictures of people in DIY and woodworking programmes.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:40:49 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Don't tell my wife that. She already thinks in terms of throwing
darts at pictures of people in DIY and woodworking programmes.

Bottom picture
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page32.htm