Neil Jones

Default What's this pipe?

When I chopped through my rising main yesterday (yes, it was planned) I
found that the plastic pipe had an o/d of 22mm and an i/d of just 13mm.
After a moment of panic due to not being able to get pipe supports in, I
just pushed it into the fitting (Tectite) and it seems to have made a
good join.

However, I'd like to know what type of pipe this is, and whether my
connection is as good as it seems. If not, what type of connector should
I use instead?

Many thanks

Neil

Grunff

Neil Jones wrote:
When I chopped through my rising main yesterday (yes, it was planned) I
found that the plastic pipe had an o/d of 22mm and an i/d of just 13mm.
After a moment of panic due to not being able to get pipe supports in, I
just pushed it into the fitting (Tectite) and it seems to have made a
good join.

Is it a soft, black plastic? If so, it's old 3/4" LDPE. I don't know
what type of connector you used, but it doesn't sound like anything I'd
trust at mains pressure - you need to get hold of the correct
insert/collar for this pipe. Most plumbers merchants stock them.

--
Grunff
Neil Jones

"Grunff" wrote in message
Neil Jones wrote:
When I chopped through my rising main yesterday (yes, it was

planned) I
found that the plastic pipe had an o/d of 22mm and an i/d of just

13mm.
After a moment of panic due to not being able to get pipe supports

in, I
just pushed it into the fitting (Tectite) and it seems to have made

good join.

Is it a soft, black plastic? If so, it's old 3/4" LDPE. I don't know
what type of connector you used, but it doesn't sound like anything

I'd
trust at mains pressure - you need to get hold of the correct
insert/collar for this pipe. Most plumbers merchants stock them.

--
Grunff

It may have been soft once, but it's now quite hard. I put a pair of
vernier calipers on it to measure the outside diameter and it was spot
on 22mm, which made me think it was a metric pipe.

Anyway, I'll look into the LDPE stuff.

Cheers

Neil

mike ring