JJJ

Default new consumer unit backboard

shortly to be relocating a consumer unit from a cupboard (which will become
a WC) to a small constructed wooden cabinet outside said cupboard.

Can I use 18mm ply as the backplane for the consumer unit to mount onto?
I'll need to extend the circuits to the new location - so what's the neatest
way? junction box for each circuit?

thanks,

Jim

--
---

Al Reynolds

"JJJ" wrote in message
shortly to be relocating a consumer unit from a cupboard (which will
become
a WC) to a small constructed wooden cabinet outside said cupboard.

Can I use 18mm ply as the backplane for the consumer unit to mount onto?
I'll need to extend the circuits to the new location - so what's the
neatest
way? junction box for each circuit?

Crimps, but practice first.
Al

Christian McArdle

Can I use 18mm ply as the backplane for the consumer unit to mount onto?

Not a problem for a modern consumer unit. I wouldn't fit an old fuse box,
though.

I'll need to extend the circuits to the new location - so what's the

neatest
way? junction box for each circuit?

No. Use appropriate crimps applied using a decent ratchet style crimper.

Christian.

Dave

Christian McArdle wrote:
Can I use 18mm ply as the backplane for the consumer unit to mount onto?

Not a problem for a modern consumer unit. I wouldn't fit an old fuse box,
though.

.... snipped
Christian.

Is there any problem with mounting a CU directly onto masonry?

--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)
Christian McArdle

Is there any problem with mounting a CU directly onto masonry?

No, but it makes it harder to attach and route cables.

Christian.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:10:52 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Is there any problem with mounting a CU directly onto masonry?

No, but it makes it harder to attach and route cables.

Christian.

Don't forget that CUs have knockouts into which grommets can be
inserted.....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
JJJ

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Can I use 18mm ply as the backplane for the consumer unit to mount onto?

Not a problem for a modern consumer unit. I wouldn't fit an old fuse box,
though.

I'll need to extend the circuits to the new location - so what's the

neatest
way? junction box for each circuit?

No. Use appropriate crimps applied using a decent ratchet style crimper.

I don't think I've seen this kind of thing for domestic wiring - can you
point me in the right direction? brand name, type of crimp connector etc?

thanks,

Jim

Al Reynolds

"JJJ" wrote in message
"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Can I use 18mm ply as the backplane for the consumer unit to mount
onto?

Not a problem for a modern consumer unit. I wouldn't fit an old fuse box,
though.

I'll need to extend the circuits to the new location - so what's the

neatest
way? junction box for each circuit?

No. Use appropriate crimps applied using a decent ratchet style crimper.

I don't think I've seen this kind of thing for domestic wiring - can you
point me in the right direction? brand name, type of crimp connector etc?

Crimper:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DVDHCR15.html

Crimps:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CTBUTTslashY.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CTBUTTslashR.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CTBUTTslashB.html

HTH,
Al

Christian McArdle

I don't think I've seen this kind of thing for domestic wiring - can you
point me in the right direction? brand name, type of crimp connector etc?

They're nothing special. Just insulated butt crimps with a standard ratchet
crimper. Available from almost any electrical wholesaler or DIY shop.

www.toolstation.co.uk items:
53586 (ratchet crimper)
68415 (red butt crimp)
95245 (blue butt crimp)
85191 (yellow butt crimp)

Christian.

JJJ

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
I don't think I've seen this kind of thing for domestic wiring - can you
point me in the right direction? brand name, type of crimp connector

etc?

They're nothing special. Just insulated butt crimps with a standard

ratchet
crimper. Available from almost any electrical wholesaler or DIY shop.

www.toolstation.co.uk items:
53586 (ratchet crimper)
68415 (red butt crimp)
95245 (blue butt crimp)
85191 (yellow butt crimp)

OK. Thanks to all replies. A big help.

Jim

Andy Hall

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:12:31 +0100, "JJJ" wrote:

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
I don't think I've seen this kind of thing for domestic wiring - can you
point me in the right direction? brand name, type of crimp connector

etc?

They're nothing special. Just insulated butt crimps with a standard

ratchet
crimper. Available from almost any electrical wholesaler or DIY shop.

www.toolstation.co.uk items:
53586 (ratchet crimper)
68415 (red butt crimp)
95245 (blue butt crimp)
85191 (yellow butt crimp)

OK. Thanks to all replies. A big help.

Jim

Stating the obvious maybe, but you still need to additionally insulate
or house the crimped joints in an enclosure.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Christian McArdle

Stating the obvious maybe, but you still need to additionally insulate
or house the crimped joints in an enclosure.

Yes, I should probably have given the codes for heatshrink tubing, too...

Christian.

Al Reynolds

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Stating the obvious maybe, but you still need to additionally insulate
or house the crimped joints in an enclosure.

Yes, I should probably have given the codes for heatshrink tubing, too...

Could you? I'm running out and my local store has
stopped selling it. I need stuff to cover 2.5mm2 T+E.

Thanks,
Al

Christian McArdle

Could you? I'm running out and my local store has
stopped selling it. I need stuff to cover 2.5mm2 T+E.

11950. ;-)

Christian.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Al Reynolds wrote:
Stating the obvious maybe, but you still need to additionally
insulate or house the crimped joints in an enclosure.

Yes, I should probably have given the codes for heatshrink tubing,
too...

Could you? I'm running out and my local store has
stopped selling it. I need stuff to cover 2.5mm2 T+E.

Go to the TLC website if you need to mail order

www.tlc-direct.co.uk

But any electrical wholesaler worthy of the name will have crimps, the
crimp tool and heat shrink sleeving. Probably not a shed, though.

If you're not sure about this, give your area and perhaps someone can
recommend a specific dealer.

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.