Mike Jones

Default Radiators

What's the correct way to remove a radiator from a wall? Do you have to cut
the water supply and what tools do I require.

Thanks

Mike Hibbert

"Mike Jones" mikey776655@dontspam blueyonder.co.uk wrote in message
What's the correct way to remove a radiator from a wall? Do you have to

cut
the water supply and what tools do I require.

I do the following, turn off the valves at both ends. If you have a TRV at
one end then turn it right down to 0. Put a washing up bowl inder each nut,
and then undo the nuts, remember that one is attached to the radiator, so it
seems to turn the wronf way (I use a mair of mole grips to give counter
leverage as you dont want too much twisting on the pipes).

Water will start to come out after you loosen then, I open the bleed valve
to allow air back in, makes the emptying faster.

You'll need a big pair of smanner or mole grips.

Set Square

Mike Hibbert wrote:

"Mike Jones" mikey776655@dontspam blueyonder.co.uk wrote in message
What's the correct way to remove a radiator from a wall? Do you have
to cut the water supply and what tools do I require.

I do the following, turn off the valves at both ends. If you have a
TRV at one end then turn it right down to 0. Put a washing up bowl
inder each nut, and then undo the nuts, remember that one is attached
to the radiator, so it seems to turn the wronf way (I use a mair of
mole grips to give counter leverage as you dont want too much
twisting on the pipes).

Water will start to come out after you loosen then, I open the bleed
valve to allow air back in, makes the emptying faster.

You'll need a big pair of smanner or mole grips.

Don't use Mole grips - you'll damage the chrome. Use either the correct size
of spanner for the union nuts, or an adjustable spanner,

Be careful not to spill any black gungy water on your carpets - it is a
fairly indelible stain. [Use old towels etc. to protect the carpets.

Once you have drained all the water out of the radiator, you can undo the
unions fully (but leave the valves firmly attached to the pipes!) and lift
the radiator off its brackets.

[I assume you want to remove it temporarily for decorating etc. rather than
permanently?]

--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andrew McKay

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:40:21 GMT, "Mike Hibbert"
wrote:

I do the following, turn off the valves at both ends. If you have a TRV at
one end then turn it right down to 0. Put a washing up bowl inder each nut,
and then undo the nuts, remember that one is attached to the radiator, so it
seems to turn the wronf way (I use a mair of mole grips to give counter
leverage as you dont want too much twisting on the pipes).

You missed an important step:

REMOVE CARPET FROM THE AREA AROUND THE RADIATOR BEFORE STARTING.

The gunk that comes out of a CH system is likely to leave a permanent
mark on carpets, so it's best to move the carpet out of the way first.

Trying to protect the carpet with a towel or similar arrangement is
likely to result in a splash just where the towel doesn't reach....

IMHO, as everything else I post here is.

Andrew

Paul

I do the following, turn off the valves at both ends. If you have a TRV at
one end then turn it right down to 0. Put a washing up bowl inder each
nut,
and then undo the nuts, remember that one is attached to the radiator, so
it
seems to turn the wronf way (I use a mair of mole grips to give counter
leverage as you dont want too much twisting on the pipes).

I use a wet vac, such as a Vax. Then just loosen one nut and the bleed
valve, then use the Vax to collect all the water.

I find this method tends to stop the splashes of mucky black water all over
the wall !

Good luck,

Paul.