Andrew McKay

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:40:21 GMT, "Mike Hibbert"
wrote:

I do the following, turn off the valves at both ends. If you have a TRV at
one end then turn it right down to 0. Put a washing up bowl inder each nut,
and then undo the nuts, remember that one is attached to the radiator, so it
seems to turn the wronf way (I use a mair of mole grips to give counter
leverage as you dont want too much twisting on the pipes).

You missed an important step:

REMOVE CARPET FROM THE AREA AROUND THE RADIATOR BEFORE STARTING.

The gunk that comes out of a CH system is likely to leave a permanent
mark on carpets, so it's best to move the carpet out of the way first.

Trying to protect the carpet with a towel or similar arrangement is
likely to result in a splash just where the towel doesn't reach....

IMHO, as everything else I post here is.

Andrew