EricP

Default Push button water mains stopcocks?

The type that have the switch on the valve, not the one with the
remote. They seem to cost a load of money for what they do.

Worth the bother or use a full bore quarter turn tap?

Bob Eager

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:52:37 UTC, EricP wrote:

The type that have the switch on the valve, not the one with the
remote. They seem to cost a load of money for what they do.

Worth the bother or use a full bore quarter turn tap?

I have a full bore quarter turn lever operated (manual) one. Local water
company fits them for a fixed fee.

--
The information contained in this post
is copyright (C) RD Eager, 2004, and

Set Square

Bob Eager wrote:

The information contained in this post
is copyright (C) RD Eager, 2004, and
may not be published in, or used by
http://www.diyprojects.info, who are
FORBIDDEN from copying it.

Is there anything you can realistically do if they *do*?

Can someone please explain why everyone is getting so hot under the collar
about this mob. Is someone making money out of what we are contributing for
free?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andy Hall

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:55:32 +0100, "Set Square"

Bob Eager wrote:

The information contained in this post
is copyright (C) RD Eager, 2004, and
may not be published in, or used by
http://www.diyprojects.info, who are
FORBIDDEN from copying it.

Is there anything you can realistically do if they *do*?

Can someone please explain why everyone is getting so hot under the collar
about this mob. Is someone making money out of what we are contributing for
free?

It is a paid ads site so the content is being used to support a
commercial activity.

I wouldn't mind this too much if the site added some editorial content
of their own or some other added value.

One could argue that Google does something similar, but then they do
add a lot of value via their various search engine capabilties so I am
not concerned.

Anyway, having just looked at www.diyprojects.info it appears that
they have removed their forum of uk.d-i-y.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
EricP

On 24 Oct 2004 13:15:16 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:52:37 UTC, EricP wrote:

The type that have the switch on the valve, not the one with the
remote. They seem to cost a load of money for what they do.

Worth the bother or use a full bore quarter turn tap?

I have a full bore quarter turn lever operated (manual) one. Local water
company fits them for a fixed fee.

I will take that as a seal of approval then and happily abandon the
very expensive alternative.

Cheers

Bob Eager

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:54:51 UTC, EricP wrote:

I have a full bore quarter turn lever operated (manual) one. Local water
company fits them for a fixed fee.

I will take that as a seal of approval then and happily abandon the
very expensive alternative.

Incidentally, I had the water company fit it because it was a very
tricky job (and for another reason [1]). Took the guy (a good
experienced professional) nearly three hours. Not bad at 79.99 for parts
and labour. It was in a corner, 3 inches above the floor with a lot of
surrounding piping, and had been there MANY years.

[1] It was easier for the water company (rather than me) to explain to
the neighbouring brothel that their water supply (shared stopcock) would
be off for a while...stopping 'assisted showers' and the like.

--
The information contained in this post
is copyright (C) RD Eager, 2004, and
may not be published in, or used by
http://www.diyprojects.info, who are
FORBIDDEN from copying it.

EricP

On 24 Oct 2004 15:45:48 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:54:51 UTC, EricP wrote:

I have a full bore quarter turn lever operated (manual) one. Local water
company fits them for a fixed fee.

I will take that as a seal of approval then and happily abandon the
very expensive alternative.

Incidentally, I had the water company fit it because it was a very
tricky job (and for another reason [1]). Took the guy (a good
experienced professional) nearly three hours. Not bad at 79.99 for parts
and labour. It was in a corner, 3 inches above the floor with a lot of
surrounding piping, and had been there MANY years.

[1] It was easier for the water company (rather than me) to explain to
the neighbouring brothel that their water supply (shared stopcock) would
be off for a while...stopping 'assisted showers' and the like.

Many thanks!
I read this with a cup of tea in my hands, and suppose the keyboard
will dry out in a couple of hours. )

Andy Hall

On 24 Oct 2004 15:45:48 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:54:51 UTC, EricP wrote:

I have a full bore quarter turn lever operated (manual) one. Local water
company fits them for a fixed fee.

I will take that as a seal of approval then and happily abandon the
very expensive alternative.

Incidentally, I had the water company fit it because it was a very
tricky job (and for another reason [1]). Took the guy (a good
experienced professional) nearly three hours. Not bad at 79.99 for parts
and labour. It was in a corner, 3 inches above the floor with a lot of
surrounding piping, and had been there MANY years.

[1] It was easier for the water company (rather than me) to explain to
the neighbouring brothel that their water supply (shared stopcock) would
be off for a while...stopping 'assisted showers' and the like.

Is that like golden showers? ;-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Bob Eager

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:22:19 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

[1] It was easier for the water company (rather than me) to explain to
the neighbouring brothel that their water supply (shared stopcock) would
be off for a while...stopping 'assisted showers' and the like.

Is that like golden showers? ;-)

Well, the punters probably want one after one - IYSWIM...!

--
The information contained in this post
is copyright (C) RD Eager, 2004, and
may not be published in, or used by
http://www.diyprojects.info, who are
FORBIDDEN from copying it.

holkingers

"Set Square" wrote in message ...
Bob Eager wrote:

The information contained in this post
is copyright (C) RD Eager, 2004, and
may not be published in, or used by
http://www.diyprojects.info, who are
FORBIDDEN from copying it.

Is there anything you can realistically do if they *do*?

Can someone please explain why everyone is getting so hot under the collar
about this mob. Is someone making money out of what we are contributing for
free?

I personally find Usenet to web gateways very useful for viewing and
posting to newsgroups when I don't have access to a computer with the
appropriate software, for example I often use (including now) Google -
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...group=uk.d-i-y
or http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y
But to take action over copyright seems to me to be very hard when
there are so many and it would involve legal proceedings in many
countries
Eg France -
http://www.1001newsgroups.com/lmess.php?name=uk.d-i-y
and Italy -
http://www.newsland.it/nr/browse/uk.d-i-y/
Plus many more.

THIS POST IS COPYRIGHT FREE.
Stefek Zaba

holkingers wrote:

Can someone please explain why everyone is getting so hot under the collar
about this mob. Is someone making money out of what we are contributing for
free?

Yes, they seem to be trying to, in a lame-ass doomed-to-fail sort of way.

I personally find Usenet to web gateways very useful for viewing and
posting to newsgroups when I don't have access to a computer with the
appropriate software, for example I often use (including now) Google -
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...group=uk.d-i-y
or http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y

Me too, and I've no objection at all to AltaVista/Google/whoever's-next
doing an unedited, publicly-available, readily-searchable archive:
there's benefit to the newsgroup community being able to say "we had
that discussion a few months ago, try Googling for it". It's the
narrow-minded leeching off the cooperative efforts of all those who
contribute to this group to support some little wannabe-advice-source
which sticks in my throat, and probably those of the others now adding
little "try sucking some tasty caustic soda crystals, diyprojects.com"
additions to their postings...

Stefek
Paul C. Dickie

In article , Bob Eager
writes
[1] It was easier for the water company (rather than me) to explain to
the neighbouring brothel that their water supply (shared stopcock) would
be off for a while...stopping 'assisted showers' and the like.

And adding a whole new meaning to the term "stopcock"...

The information contained in this post
is copyright (C) RD Eager, 2004, and
may not be published in, or used by
http://www.diyprojects.info, who are
FORBIDDEN from copying it.

I'd be quite happy for them to copy my recommendation of Nitrogen
trichloride as a drain and patio cleaner...

--
Paul