tom w

Default solid fuel fires & tiled hearths

I'm in the process of re-fitting a fireplace to burn solid fuel, and have
come across conflicting opinions about the construction of the hearth that
is required.

After lifting the carpet and removing the hideous gas fire, we found a tiled
hearth fitted flush to the floor. A couple of the tiles were cracked, and
they were a grim colour anyway, but we've found imperial-sized hearth tiles
that are an exact match for the original sizes. As the concrete under the
old tiles was intact, we originally planned to just directly replace the
tiles that were there, assuming that if it worked OK in the 1930s (when the
house was built) it would work fine now. However, a professional fireplace
installer has told us that we can't just lay tiles onto this surface, as
recent building regs say that hearths must be raised above floor level on a
specially constructed concrete pad. Is this the case? What is the problem
with laying tiles where they were originally?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

----

to email directly, replace tlw_nospam with tom

Mary Fisher

"tom w" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know about the regs but wouldn't be surprised if what you've been
told is true.

But who would know if you laid new tiles were the old ones were?

If you're thrown into clink you'll have to put up with my company. We
removed nasty tiles from both our downstairs rooms a couple of years ago.
They were replaced in the dining room with floor-flush home-made faux
encaustic tiles and in the sitting room with floor-flush real encaustic
tiles.

Mary

Thanks in advance,

Tom

----

to email directly, replace tlw_nospam with tom

Nick Finnigan

"tom w" wrote in message

house was built) it would work fine now. However, a professional fireplace
installer has told us that we can't just lay tiles onto this surface, as
recent building regs say that hearths must be raised above floor level on a
specially constructed concrete pad. Is this the case? What is the problem
with laying tiles where they were originally?

The regs (which seem as clear as coke to me) are at:
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/
documents/page/odpm_breg_027748-19.hcsp

I'd guess the idea is to make sure the hearth area is
distinct, and kept free of combusible materials.

tom w

Thanks for the replies: My instinct is to replace the tiles and be done with
it. I'm not too bothered about complying with regs for "regs sake", rather
I'm concerned about the safety of the installation: can I assume that this
style of flush-to-floor tiled 1930s fireplace installations are pretty safe,
or should I be looking at the 'modern' and regs-compliant methods (bearing
in mind I wouldn't put up with 1930s wiring, for example).

It seems (from a lay-person's viewpoint) that the regs are a bit OTT when
you look at dimensions (height of hearth in particular). I can understand
the principle of 'keep hot things away from burnable things', but should I
consider the old tiled hearth 'unsafe'?

Cheers

Tom

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"tom w" wrote in message
[...]

Mary Fisher

"tom w" wrote in message
Thanks for the replies: My instinct is to replace the tiles and be done

with
it. I'm not too bothered about complying with regs for "regs sake", rather
I'm concerned about the safety of the installation: can I assume that this
style of flush-to-floor tiled 1930s fireplace installations are pretty

safe,
or should I be looking at the 'modern' and regs-compliant methods (bearing
in mind I wouldn't put up with 1930s wiring, for example).

That's a different matter.

It seems (from a lay-person's viewpoint) that the regs are a bit OTT when
you look at dimensions (height of hearth in particular). I can understand
the principle of 'keep hot things away from burnable things', but should I
consider the old tiled hearth 'unsafe'?

No. The tiles will keep anything hot away from burnable things even with an
open fire - which I doubt that you'll be having.

Do what you want - and be responsible for your own safety.

Mary

"tom w" wrote in message
[...]

The Natural Philosopher

tom w wrote:

[...]

Building inpsector never raised an eyebrow at my flush fitted hearth.

Think your builder is talking ********.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

----

to email directly, replace tlw_nospam with tom

andrewpreece

tom w wrote:

[...]

I can't say for certain, but as long as you are simply replacing a few tiles
(i.e. renovating ) then I reckon you'll be OK. Were you to decide all of a
sudden that you wanted a flush hearth where none had existed before then
since it would be 'new build', there'd be a problem.
Not all antique installations are acceptable though: my bedrooms
used
to have '30's gas fires in them ( dangerous enough ) that vented into the
attic space. We were told that was unacceptable by gas fitters brought in
for another problem, and removed the fires and blocked up the fireplaces
( got central heating put in of course ). I can still remember getting
goosebumps getting out of bed on a winter's morning and seeing feathers
of frost on the inside of the windows!

Andy.

Mary Fisher

"andrewpreece" wrote in message

I can still remember getting
goosebumps getting out of bed on a winter's morning and seeing feathers
of frost on the inside of the windows!

Weren't they beautiful though ... never see them except in the caravan these
days.

Mary

Andy.

The Natural Philosopher

andrewpreece wrote:

tom w wrote:

[...]

Mine was a new build to 200 regulations., I never saw anything about
raising hearths in the BR book.

Not all antique installations are acceptable though: my bedrooms
used
to have '30's gas fires in them ( dangerous enough ) that vented into the
attic space. We were told that was unacceptable by gas fitters brought in
for another problem, and removed the fires and blocked up the fireplaces
( got central heating put in of course ). I can still remember getting
goosebumps getting out of bed on a winter's morning and seeing feathers
of frost on the inside of the windows!

Andy.

andrewpreece

andrewpreece wrote:

tom w wrote:

[...]

AFAIK there are three types of hearths, constructional, superimposed, and
back.
The constructional hearth is the massive, undecorative cement slab,
typically
flush with the floor.
The superimposed hearth sits atop the constructional hearth and is
more
decorative. The back hearth is the bit inside the fire opening on which the
fire
is lit ( assuming a fire basket and solid fuel ). However, my source of info
states:

"Instead of a superimposed hearth, some fireplaces have a tiled
constructional
hearth that lies flush with the surrounding floorboards."

There are minimum dimensions for constructional and superimposed hearths
when planning new build, or reinstating a fireplace, but these would not
apply
to someone merely renovating a fireplace AFAICS, so whatever way you look
at it, it doesn't seem there will be a problem for the original poster.

Andy.