EricP

Default Water filters Domestic use

Are the six month change cartridge type any good? If not, what is
recommended?

I have seen a very strange one under a sink that seemed to have a
thing that looked like a gas bottle on it and made load moaning noises
when used. Damn nice water though.

Grunff

EricP wrote:
Are the six month change cartridge type any good? If not, what is
recommended?

What are you trying to achieve? If it's just a taste improvement, then
activated carbon filters will do a reasonable job.

I have seen a very strange one under a sink that seemed to have a
thing that looked like a gas bottle on it and made load moaning noises
when used. Damn nice water though.

That was probably an RO system. We have one to treat our drinking water,
which comes from a well. They are extremely effective, and the water
tastes great.

--
Grunff
EricP

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:38:34 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Are the six month change cartridge type any good? If not, what is
recommended?

What are you trying to achieve? If it's just a taste improvement, then
activated carbon filters will do a reasonable job.

Our water tastes like a solution of chalk and medicine.
We want a volume source of clean water for coffee, tea, cooking,
drinking and the steam iron.

I am sick of that jug thing that you have to fill up all the time and
fancied turning one of those little taps on. )

Grunff

EricP wrote:

Our water tastes like a solution of chalk and medicine.
We want a volume source of clean water for coffee, tea, cooking,
drinking and the steam iron.

I am sick of that jug thing that you have to fill up all the time and
fancied turning one of those little taps on. )

Hmm, well, an activated carbon filter will help a little, but if you
want really clean water, bite the bullet and fit an RO system. They've
come down in price enormously over the last few years - I've seen some
on the market for the £200 (but can't vouch for their quality).

--
Grunff
N. Thornton

EricP wrote in message news:

Our water tastes like a solution of chalk and medicine.
We want a volume source of clean water for coffee, tea, cooking,
drinking and the steam iron.

I am sick of that jug thing that you have to fill up all the time and
fancied turning one of those little taps on. )

carbon, or carbon and exchange resin. Carbon gets general muck out,
resin gets minerals out if necessary. Carbon filtering is very cheap.
Trouble with carbon is they soon become bacterial breeding grounds, so
do need regular relpacement.

RO also works, but at a price, unless youve got means to heat the
filters to red heat yourself to reactivate them.

NT

Grunff

N. Thornton wrote:

RO also works, but at a price, unless youve got means to heat the
filters to red heat yourself to reactivate them.

???

RO membranes are organic. Heating them to red heat will cause them to
burn. It will definitely not reactivate them!!

They are fairly cheap these days - £30 is about what I pay for the RO
membrane in my system, once a year.

--
Grunff
N. Thornton

Grunff wrote in message ...
N. Thornton wrote:

RO also works, but at a price, unless youve got means to heat the
filters to red heat yourself to reactivate them.

???

RO membranes are organic. Heating them to red heat will cause them to
burn. It will definitely not reactivate them!!

They are fairly cheap these days - £30 is about what I pay for the RO
membrane in my system, once a year.

not seen anything like that, the ROs I've seen are fired clay, and you
clean them out in a furnace. Deinitely wouldnt heat organics red,
unless you want to convert them to carbon filters

NT
Grunff

N. Thornton wrote:

not seen anything like that, the ROs I've seen are fired clay, and you
clean them out in a furnace. Deinitely wouldnt heat organics red,
unless you want to convert them to carbon filters

Odd. What application was that in?

The only RO membranes I've come across have been Cellulose Triacetate
(older technolgy, cheap, limited life) and Thin Film Composite (newer
material, used to be more expensive but price dropping, long life).

--
Grunff
N. Thornton

Grunff wrote in message ...
N. Thornton wrote:

not seen anything like that, the ROs I've seen are fired clay, and you
clean them out in a furnace. Deinitely wouldnt heat organics red,
unless you want to convert them to carbon filters

Odd. What application was that in?

The only RO membranes I've come across have been Cellulose Triacetate
(older technolgy, cheap, limited life) and Thin Film Composite (newer
material, used to be more expensive but price dropping, long life).

Domestic water filters, running at mains pressure. I think they may
have been a bit ancient. I have a book that explains how to clean them
out by heating them red hot. They just look like clay tubes closed at
one end, the water percolates through them very slowly.

NT

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM