JJJ

Default water filter self-cutting connection question

I've just bought a water filter cartridge unit, which comes with the type of
self-cutting connection you normally install on the copper cold water pipe
to the tap.

The water pipes here, however, are all plastic. Will this still work or is
it just designed for copper?

Thanks,

Jim

Set Square

JJJ wrote:

I've just bought a water filter cartridge unit, which comes with the
type of self-cutting connection you normally install on the copper
cold water pipe to the tap.

The water pipes here, however, are all plastic. Will this still work
or is it just designed for copper?

Thanks,

Jim

I don't think I would want to use one on plastic pipe!

Having said that, I wouldn't want to use one on copper pipe either -
preferring a proper tee connection.

But at least it should *work* without leaking on copper. I doubt whether it
would on plastic, because the pipe would distort. I suspect that the
displaced piece would spring back and block the hole, and that the whole
thing would leak.

Doubtless if anyone out there has successfully done it, they'll come back
and refute my idle speculation!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

G&M

"Set Square" wrote in message
JJJ wrote:

[...]

They just about don't leak with copper so I think I'll back you.

gribblechips

"Set Square" wrote in message
JJJ wrote:

[...]

I`d be a bit dubious too. That said, it would be about 10 mins work to let
in a short length of copper pipe on a couple of push fits.

---

Christian McArdle

I`d be a bit dubious too. That said, it would be about 10 mins work to let
in a short length of copper pipe on a couple of push fits.

If you were going to do that, you might as well do the job properly, though.
I've seen a pushfit 'T' with washing machine valve preinstalled on the
branch.

Just cut off the water, chop the pipe using a plastic pipe cutter, insert
metal collars, stick pipe into either end of fitting and turn the water back
on.

Christian.

Set Square

Christian McArdle wrote:

I`d be a bit dubious too. That said, it would be about 10 mins work
to let in a short length of copper pipe on a couple of push fits.

If you were going to do that, you might as well do the job properly,
though. I've seen a pushfit 'T' with washing machine valve
preinstalled on the branch.

Just cut off the water, chop the pipe using a plastic pipe cutter,
insert metal collars, stick pipe into either end of fitting and turn
the water back on.

Christian.

I agree in principle - and would do something like that myself. A washing
machine valve isn't going to be the right size for a water filter, though,
so some reducing fittings will be required in addition. [I think washing
machine outlets are usually 3/4" BSP - whereas filters use something much
smaller - 1/8" BSP perhaps?]
--
Cheers,
Set Square

gribblechips

"I agree in principle - and would do something like that myself. A washing
machine valve isn't going to be the right size for a water filter, though,
so some reducing fittings will be required in addition"

Which is why I suggested using a simple piece of tube rather than a T or
washing machine valve though it must be said either of these would be neater
and somehow more elegant solutions.

I`m thinking of fitting a filter myself when I get round to doing the
kitchen - can you get them with proper fittings or do they all come with
those self cutting taps and the thin hose?

---