tarquin

Default When to use plumbers mait/silicone sealant

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:59:08 +0000 (UTC), "AndyP"
wrote:

As per another post, I'm also about to put a new tank connector into my cw
cistern in the loft. If I want to be really paranoid, would putting some
plumbers mait in there make it less likely to leak, or would it be
pointless?

it would probably be counter-productive IMHO,just use the washers as
supplied with the tank connector fitting.

joe
Thanks,
Andy

Lee

AndyP wrote:
Probably a simple question but:

When should I be using plumbers mait and when should I use silicone sealant?

Use Fernox LS-X it's great for these applications.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
AndyP

wrote:

As per another post, I'm also about to put a new tank connector into my

cw
cistern in the loft. If I want to be really paranoid, would putting some
plumbers mait in there make it less likely to leak, or would it be
pointless?

it would probably be counter-productive IMHO,just use the washers as
supplied with the tank connector fitting.

Sadly no washers were supplied (tank connector bought from Wickes - they
sell many different types of washer separately, although it's not obvious
which sort I should use).

Cheers,
Andy

Al Reynolds

"AndyP" wrote:
Probably a simple question but:

When should I be using plumbers mait

Almost never.

and when should I use silicone sealant?

Most of the time.

[snip]
As per another post, I'm also about to put a new tank connector into my cw
cistern in the loft. If I want to be really paranoid, would putting some
plumbers mait in there make it less likely to leak, or would it be
pointless?

Whenever I've used plumber's mait in any joint, i've ended
up taking it out, cleaning it all off, and using silicone or the
correct washer. I reckon you'd be best to start with silicone
or the correct washer.

AFAICR, Belfast sink wastes need plumber's mait, but
I don't have one so I'm not sure about that.

HTH,
Al

AndyP

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
"AndyP" wrote:
Probably a simple question but:

When should I be using plumbers mait

Almost never.

and when should I use silicone sealant?

Most of the time.

So is there a brand of silicone suitable for total immersion in water - eg
round bath waste? As I mentioned, the stuff I've got (from Wickes) says it's
not suitable for this.

Thanks,
Andy

[snip]
As per another post, I'm also about to put a new tank connector into my

cw
cistern in the loft. If I want to be really paranoid, would putting some
plumbers mait in there make it less likely to leak, or would it be
pointless?

Whenever I've used plumber's mait in any joint, i've ended
up taking it out, cleaning it all off, and using silicone or the
correct washer. I reckon you'd be best to start with silicone
or the correct washer.

AFAICR, Belfast sink wastes need plumber's mait, but
I don't have one so I'm not sure about that.

HTH,
Al

Grunff

AndyP wrote:

So is there a brand of silicone suitable for total immersion in water - eg
round bath waste? As I mentioned, the stuff I've got (from Wickes) says it's
not suitable for this.

Then it's not silicone. Silicone is always suitable for immersion in water.

--
Grunff
Ed Sirett

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:59:08 +0000, AndyP wrote:

Probably a simple question but:

When should I be using plumbers mait and when should I use silicone sealant?

Obviously I use silicone for things like round edge of the bath etc.
However, on my new bath, the instructions said to use silicone around the
rim of the waste to seal it to the bath.. I thought I was supposed to use
plumbers mait. The sealant I got from Wickes (their kitchen and bathroom
stuff, which says it's suitable for baths, showers, etc) says it's not
suitable for continual immersion in water, which seems to suggest I
shouldn't use it for the bath. The bloke in Wickes recommended I use their
"external leak sealer and jointing compound" round the waste.. I'm a bit
confused by all this.

As per another post, I'm also about to put a new tank connector into my cw
cistern in the loft. If I want to be really paranoid, would putting some
plumbers mait in there make it less likely to leak, or would it be
pointless?

There are very few places where Mait (stay soft putty) is needed. Basin
wastes is one. Useful also when ceramic is on ceramic to soften the
contact, i.e. basin on pedestal, or WC pan on floor tiles.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Al Reynolds

"AndyP" wrote:
Probably a simple question but:

When should I be using plumbers mait

Almost never.

and when should I use silicone sealant?

Most of the time.

So is there a brand of silicone suitable for total immersion in water - eg
round bath waste? As I mentioned, the stuff I've got (from Wickes) says
it's
not suitable for this.

I always use Unibond Sanitary Sealant.
Never had any problems on wastes etc.

Al

Pete C

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:59:14 +0000 (UTC), "AndyP"
wrote:

So is there a brand of silicone suitable for total immersion in water - eg
round bath waste? As I mentioned, the stuff I've got (from Wickes) says it's
not suitable for this.

Hi,

If it's cheap stuff maybe it has fillers in. Silicone has long been
used for holding glass fish tanks together so the proper stuff can be
used in that way.

cheers,
Pete.
The Natural Philosopher

AndyP wrote:

Probably a simple question but:

When should I be using plumbers mait and when should I use silicone sealant?

Silicone sealant is not appropiate for surfaces which need to slide over
one another to seal - e.g. threads.

In every other way, its better than sliced bread, except for toast.

Andy Wade

AndyP wrote:

As per another post, I'm also about to put a new tank connector into my cw
cistern in the loft. If I want to be really paranoid, would putting some
plumbers mait in there make it less likely to leak, or would it be [...]

.... a disaster. AIUI you should _never_ use linseed oil based compounds
(such as plumbers' mait or boss white) on plastic fittings.

(I'm assuming you mean a plastic cistern, not an old galvanized one.)

--
Andy
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
AndyP wrote:
So is there a brand of silicone suitable for total immersion in water -
eg round bath waste? As I mentioned, the stuff I've got (from Wickes)
says it's not suitable for this.

Fernox LS-X as already mentioned.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Christian McArdle

AFAICR, Belfast sink wastes need plumber's mait, but
I don't have one so I'm not sure about that.

Nah. I cleaned all the plumber's mait off and replaced with silicone when I
installed mine. ;-)

Christian.

AndyP

"Grunff" wrote in message
AndyP wrote:

So is there a brand of silicone suitable for total immersion in water -

eg
round bath waste? As I mentioned, the stuff I've got (from Wickes) says

it's
not suitable for this.

Then it's not silicone. Silicone is always suitable for immersion in

water.

--
Grunff

Hmm. Well it definately says it's silicone on the tube. And it definately
says it's not suitable for continual immersion in water. Sounds like there
are different "grades" of the stuff with the Wickes variety being down the
bottom end.

Cheers,
Andy

Pete C

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:06:30 +0100, Andy Wade
wrote:

... a disaster. AIUI you should _never_ use linseed oil based compounds
(such as plumbers' mait or boss white) on plastic fittings.

(I'm assuming you mean a plastic cistern, not an old galvanized one.)

Hi,

Does the oil affect the plastic in any way?

cheers,
Pete.

Andy Wade

Pete C wrote:

Does the oil affect the plastic in any way?

I think it can do, with some types of plastic, possibly by a reaction
with any plasticiser, causing embrittlement. I first came across the
advice in the instructions that came with a Ferham plastic (PVC,
probably) cistern and have kept it in mind ever since.

--
Andy
Rob Graham

Andy Wade wrote in message ...
Pete C wrote:

Does the oil affect the plastic in any way?

I think it can do, with some types of plastic, possibly by a reaction
with any plasticiser, causing embrittlement. I first came across the
advice in the instructions that came with a Ferham plastic (PVC,
probably) cistern and have kept it in mind ever since.

Ah well, in that case I'm going to have problems sometime in the
future !! Firm believer in Plumber's Mait for traps and the likes.
At least I might now have an idea what was the cause.

As a side question - what is the best way of getting taps to tighten
properly onto the bath or basin; previously you could rely on the
stiffness of the copper pipe to help with this but with flexible
couplings and plastic washers I'm finding it difficult to get taps to
lock properly to the bath, etc.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Use what are called top hat washers. Fit tap in hole, slide top hat washer under and onto tap tail and lastly fit tap back it on to secure it all. Job done!

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...nt-115456-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 6:01:04 PM UTC+1, AndyN wrote:
Use what are called top hat washers. Fit tap in hole, slide top hat washer under and onto tap tail and lastly fit tap back it on to secure it all. Job done!

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...nt-115456-.htm

On the other hand why are you replying to questions asked eight years ago?

Homeownershub is rubbish
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jonathan wrote:
On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 6:01:04 PM UTC+1, AndyN wrote:
Use what are called top hat washers. Fit tap in hole, slide top hat washer under and onto tap tail and lastly fit tap back it on to secure it all. Job done!

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...nt-115456-.htm

On the other hand why are you replying to questions asked eight years ago?

Homeownershub is rubbish

That's assuming others even know what the question being asked was. I can
only guess.

--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So how is it on that site I can clearly see the age of posts, but apparently
the sighted cannot, Its a strange kind of reverse accessibility issue.
As you say most on line portals to Usenet are sensible and do not present
really old post simply in the order of month, they use the year and many
actually lock old ones to stop this, Mind you they do not present Usenet as
if it was their own message board and not allow quoting or keep a link to
any pictures either.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jonathan" wrote in message
On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 6:01:04 PM UTC+1, AndyN wrote:
Use what are called top hat washers. Fit tap in hole, slide top hat
washer under and onto tap tail and lastly fit tap back it on to secure it
all. Job done!

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...nt-115456-.htm
On the other hand why are you replying to questions asked eight years ago?

Homeownershub is rubbish

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

So how is it on that site I can clearly see the age of posts, but
apparently the sighted cannot,

Corse we can.

Its a strange kind of reverse accessibility issue.

Nope.

As you say most on line portals to Usenet are sensible and do not present
really old post simply in the order of month, they use the year and many
actually lock old ones to stop this,

Mind you they do not present Usenet as if it was their own message board
and not allow quoting

Yes they do.

"Jonathan" wrote in message
On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 6:01:04 PM UTC+1, AndyN wrote:
Use what are called top hat washers. Fit tap in hole, slide top hat
washer under and onto tap tail and lastly fit tap back it on to secure
it all. Job done!

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...nt-115456-.htm

On the other hand why are you replying to questions asked eight years
ago?

Homeownershub is rubbish

Sealant and showers Charles Middleton UK diy 3 October 12th 04 12:25 PM
Bath sealant Lawrie UK diy 4 February 25th 04 10:57 AM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 09:49 PM
bathroom sealant Reestit Mutton UK diy 13 December 1st 03 11:03 AM