AndyP

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
"AndyP" wrote:
Probably a simple question but:

When should I be using plumbers mait

Almost never.

and when should I use silicone sealant?

Most of the time.

So is there a brand of silicone suitable for total immersion in water - eg
round bath waste? As I mentioned, the stuff I've got (from Wickes) says it's
not suitable for this.

Thanks,
Andy

[snip]
As per another post, I'm also about to put a new tank connector into my

cw
cistern in the loft. If I want to be really paranoid, would putting some
plumbers mait in there make it less likely to leak, or would it be
pointless?

Whenever I've used plumber's mait in any joint, i've ended
up taking it out, cleaning it all off, and using silicone or the
correct washer. I reckon you'd be best to start with silicone
or the correct washer.

AFAICR, Belfast sink wastes need plumber's mait, but
I don't have one so I'm not sure about that.

HTH,
Al