Richard Faulkner

Default Padding for low joists

Hi,

I have a small bedroom in a kind of roof space where the roof
joists/purlins, (not sure what they are called - the joist like timbers
which slope from an apex under the valley), intrude into the living
space below head height.

I want to fix some padding to them to avoid damage from banging one's
head on them. I thought of thick central heating pipe lagging, and
covering it in material, but dont really want to get into sewing and all
that.

Any ideas?

--
Richard Faulkner
G&M

"Richard Faulkner" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a small bedroom in a kind of roof space where the roof
joists/purlins, (not sure what they are called - the joist like timbers
which slope from an apex under the valley), intrude into the living
space below head height.

I want to fix some padding to them to avoid damage from banging one's
head on them. I thought of thick central heating pipe lagging, and
covering it in material, but dont really want to get into sewing and all
that.

10mm Kingspan. I bump my head on it almost daily without harm and it keeps
the room a little warmer as well.

Badger

Richard Faulkner wrote:

Hi,

I have a small bedroom in a kind of roof space where the roof
joists/purlins, (not sure what they are called - the joist like timbers
which slope from an apex under the valley), intrude into the living
space below head height.

I want to fix some padding to them to avoid damage from banging one's
head on them. I thought of thick central heating pipe lagging, and
covering it in material, but dont really want to get into sewing and all
that.

Any ideas?

http://www.seton.co.uk/perl/product....&ypage=&yname=
Foam edge protectors, cheaper from key industries IIRC
Richard Faulkner

In message , G&M
writes

"Richard Faulkner" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a small bedroom in a kind of roof space where the roof
joists/purlins, (not sure what they are called - the joist like timbers
which slope from an apex under the valley), intrude into the living
space below head height.

I want to fix some padding to them to avoid damage from banging one's
head on them. I thought of thick central heating pipe lagging, and
covering it in material, but dont really want to get into sewing and all
that.

10mm Kingspan. I bump my head on it almost daily without harm and it keeps
the room a little warmer as well.

Thanks for that - what is the actual product name? I've had a look at
the site, and there is insulation for walls, floors, roofs, etc., and
all types of different products for each.

Thanks again.

--
Richard Faulkner

Richard Faulkner

In message , Badger
writes

Richard Faulkner wrote:

Hi,
I have a small bedroom in a kind of roof space where the roof
joists/purlins, (not sure what they are called - the joist like
timbers which slope from an apex under the valley), intrude into the
living space below head height.
I want to fix some padding to them to avoid damage from banging
one's head on them. I thought of thick central heating pipe lagging,
and covering it in material, but dont really want to get into sewing
and all that.
Any ideas?

http://www.seton.co.uk/perl/product....&ypage=&yname=
Foam edge protectors, cheaper from key industries IIRC

Looks good - I'll have to consider giving the room a "Busy Bee" theme

What are key industries - googling brings up lots of generic things.

Many Thanks.

--
Richard Faulkner
Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Richard Faulkner wrote:
Hi,

I have a small bedroom in a kind of roof space where the roof
joists/purlins, (not sure what they are called - the joist like timbers
which slope from an apex under the valley), intrude into the living
space below head height.

I want to fix some padding to them to avoid damage from banging one's
head on them. I thought of thick central heating pipe lagging, and
covering it in material, but dont really want to get into sewing and
all that.

Any ideas?

In our roof space I tacked up some bubble wrap (the king-size bubbles,
about 20mm dia) on the purlin above the hatch. It works wonderfully, and
with care it could be made to look OK in a modern-style bedroom - the
natural colour would show through.

--
Mike Barnes
Richard Faulkner

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
In uk.d-i-y, Richard Faulkner wrote:
Hi,

I have a small bedroom in a kind of roof space where the roof
joists/purlins, (not sure what they are called - the joist like timbers
which slope from an apex under the valley), intrude into the living
space below head height.

I want to fix some padding to them to avoid damage from banging one's
head on them. I thought of thick central heating pipe lagging, and
covering it in material, but dont really want to get into sewing and
all that.

Any ideas?

In our roof space I tacked up some bubble wrap (the king-size bubbles,
about 20mm dia) on the purlin above the hatch. It works wonderfully, and
with care it could be made to look OK in a modern-style bedroom - the
natural colour would show through.

Knowing my luck, some smart arse would probably have a lot of fun
popping it, then crack their skull g

--
Richard Faulkner
G&M

[...]

Just the standard wall insulation. TF10 rings a bell but if you phone your
builder's merchant they'll only stock the standard stuff anyway,