Dave P

Default Water pipes go BANG!

Whenever I turn off any tap (H or C) in my house, there is an almighty bang
as the water shuts off unless I do it v-e-r-y slowly indeed. Is this known
as 'water hammer', or is that just the 'juddering' sound some folk
experience?

I've been googling about this here, but am nor sure how to cure this easily?
I don't want to close the stop cock or any in-line valves to reduce the
pressure, as it's really not that great anyway (and I have a combi feeding
the shower - the whole place has mains pressure water, no H or C tanks).

Is an 'arrestor' what I need, or is that just for juddering pipes? If this
would do the trick, does it matter whereabouts it is fitted in the system?

Thanks

Dave P

"IMM" wrote in message

"Dave P" wrote in message

Whenever I turn off any tap (H or C) in my house, there is an almighty

bang
as the water shuts off unless I do it v-e-r-y slowly indeed. Is this

known
as 'water hammer', or is that just the 'juddering' sound some folk
experience?

I've been googling about this here, but am nor sure how to cure this

easily?

Sometime if a tap washer is lose this can occur. Check the washers and
replace to suit. They are so cheap you may as well replace all of them.

I don't want to close the stop cock or any in-line valves to reduce the
pressure, as it's really not that great anyway (and I have a combi

feeding
the shower - the whole place has mains pressure water, no H or C tanks).

Is an 'arrestor' what I need, or is that just for juddering pipes? If

this
would do the trick, does it matter whereabouts it is fitted in the

system?

Thanks

Fit a shock arrestor from BES:
http://www.bes.ltd.uk

Fit as near to the offending tap as possible. This will fully eliminate

the
problem.

Thanks for this - however it's ALL taps, so the shower, bath taps, sink
taps, kitchen taps and washing machine all do this (therefore washers
unlikely to be the culprit, also all taps are brand new too). So hopefully
I would't need 9 of them!? If I put these arrestors in the H & C pipes
under the bath - therefore pretty close to bath/sink/shower, would that sort
out the kitchen (probably about 6m of pipework away)?

Thanks
Dave

IMM

"Dave P" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote in message

"Dave P" wrote in message

[...]

You only need one arrestor. In systems were there is no water meter,
expansion is taken up down the mains pipe. Some water meters have check
valves in them preventing this occurring. So, you have to install expansion
provision yourself. They are small spheres.

In some cases when water meters have been installed the extra pressure
inside the installation can blow combi gaskets, shower joints and tap
joints. Some combi's come with arrestors already fitted, others have
provision.

Is the system a mains pressure system on H&C? What types of taps do you
have? 1/4 turn efforts?

Whenever I turn off any tap (H or C) in my house, there is an almighty
bang
as the water shuts off unless I do it v-e-r-y slowly indeed. Is this

known
as 'water hammer', or is that just the 'juddering' sound some folk
experience?

I've been googling about this here, but am nor sure how to cure this

easily?
I don't want to close the stop cock or any in-line valves to reduce the
pressure, as it's really not that great anyway (and I have a combi feeding
the shower - the whole place has mains pressure water, no H or C tanks).

Is an 'arrestor' what I need, or is that just for juddering pipes? If

this
would do the trick, does it matter whereabouts it is fitted in the system?

Thanks

Is it not just a pipe that isnt fastened securely to a wall and the pressure
increase when turning off a tap makes it bang against the wall?

Dave P

"IMM" wrote in message

"Dave P" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote in message

"Dave P" wrote in message

[...]

Surely 1 arrestor for hot and one for cold? (I don't have a meter.)

In some cases when water meters have been installed the extra pressure
inside the installation can blow combi gaskets, shower joints and tap
joints. Some combi's come with arrestors already fitted, others have
provision.

Is the system a mains pressure system on H&C? What types of taps do you
have? 1/4 turn efforts?

Yes, fully mains pressure; yes, taps are the 1/4 turn ceramic disc types
(which no doubt exacerbates the problem I'll admit; although it also happens
with the shower mixer which presumably has conventional rubber seals
inside).

Thanks
David

IMM

"Dave P" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote in message

"Dave P" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote in message

"Dave P" wrote in message

[...]

The 1/4 turn don't help at all. Yes. I would put one sock arrestor on the
hot and one on the cold. They are about £10 each.

Ian Stirling

IMM wrote:

"Dave P" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote in message

"Dave P" wrote in message
"IMM" wrote in message

"Dave P" wrote in message

[...]

I think I'd go for a generic filter, rather than just a sock arrestor.

BitsNBobs

If your water pressure is currently not that great and you get banging even
from standard taps/mixers, then I'd check how well the pipes have been
secured rather than just assume it is just water hammer.

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM
Grounding Rod Info Mark Wilson Home Repair 37 July 19th 03 02:34 PM