truman

Default Applying silicon sealant

Hi all

I've just fitted my new bathroom and it's time for the silicon sealant,
around the edges of the new vinyl flooring as well as the 3-piece suite. In
the past I have used my finger to smooth it, and made a really crap job of
it - sealant oozing out on either side of finger and difficult to get a nice
neat bead. Any tips anyone for applying silicon sealant neatly?

--
cheers,
truman

Jape

I found a site that had instructions - use masking tape either side of
the intended run, then put the sealant on, and use a shaped piece of
plastic to make a smooth shaped run, then straight away, remove the
masking tape. the key is to prepare the surfaces before - get rid of
all dust and moisture

EricP

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 20:11:49 +0100, "truman" wrote:

Hi all

I've just fitted my new bathroom and it's time for the silicon sealant,
around the edges of the new vinyl flooring as well as the 3-piece suite. In
the past I have used my finger to smooth it, and made a really crap job of
it - sealant oozing out on either side of finger and difficult to get a nice
neat bead. Any tips anyone for applying silicon sealant neatly?

B&Q do a smoothing tool and as mentioned masking tape.

Richard Savage

truman wrote:

Hi all

I've just fitted my new bathroom and it's time for the silicon sealant,
around the edges of the new vinyl flooring as well as the 3-piece suite. In
the past I have used my finger to smooth it, and made a really crap job of
it - sealant oozing out on either side of finger and difficult to get a nice
neat bead. Any tips anyone for applying silicon sealant neatly?

Asked exactly the same question a few weeks back. Lots of very erudite
answers from experts. It's well worth Googling through the archives.
The gist(s) involved laying masking tape guides and a bowl of water and
washing up liquid to freqently wet your finger. None of the answers
resolved the problem of laying enough silicone down to ensure complete
gap coverage without building up a huge 'snowplow' of excess silicone as
you smooth it with your finger.

SWMBO thinks that I should ask a friend who's wife claims is 'brill' at
applying siliconce. Something about a load of ******** and lasts was
muttered!

BOL

Richard
rrh

Others have given tips on application. Also, I have found that it often
looks neater to use clear silicone - even when sealing two surfaces which
are the same colour as the sealant (eg white sealant used on white tiles
meeting a white bath). The inevitable cockups seem to stand out less. Of
course you must make sure that no unsightly things show through from
underneath the sealant!

Derek *

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 20:30:18 +0100, Richard Savage
wrote:

SWMBO thinks that I should ask a friend who's wife claims is 'brill' at
applying siliconce. Something about a load of ******** and lasts

Does she mean Cobblers and Lasts?

http://www.skiptonweb.co.uk/tourist/...n/10_cobblers/

was muttered!

DG
Richard Savage

Derek * wrote:

Does she mean Cobblers and Lasts?

http://www.skiptonweb.co.uk/tourist/...n/10_cobblers/

DG

Indeed!
The Natural Philosopher

truman wrote:

Hi all

I've just fitted my new bathroom and it's time for the silicon sealant,
around the edges of the new vinyl flooring as well as the 3-piece suite. In
the past I have used my finger to smooth it, and made a really crap job of
it - sealant oozing out on either side of finger and difficult to get a nice
neat bead. Any tips anyone for applying silicon sealant neatly?

Disposable bog roll - soaked in white spirit.

Use a whole roll, and keep wiping till surplus is all gone.

Use a fresh piece EVERY wipe.

You can also use a sponge rinses out in whie spirit EVERY WIPE, but the
final tidying up needs absorbent throway bog roll.
Pete C

wrote:

I've just fitted my new bathroom and it's time for the silicon sealant,
around the edges of the new vinyl flooring as well as the 3-piece suite. In
the past I have used my finger to smooth it, and made a really crap job of
it - sealant oozing out on either side of finger and difficult to get a nice
neat bead. Any tips anyone for applying silicon sealant neatly?

Asked exactly the same question a few weeks back. Lots of very erudite
answers from experts. It's well worth Googling through the archives.
The gist(s) involved laying masking tape guides and a bowl of water and
washing up liquid to freqently wet your finger. None of the answers
resolved the problem of laying enough silicone down to ensure complete
gap coverage without building up a huge 'snowplow' of excess silicone as
you smooth it with your finger.

It's doable, but not with a finger!

cheers,
Pete.
Bob

news
wrote:

[...]

What with then? I'm about to do my kitchen (been putting it off for ages
'cos I hate silicon!)

anthony james

"truman" wrote in message ...
Any tips anyone for applying silicon sealant neatly?

i saw it done very neatly last week.

- apply thin bead
- spray area with dilute washing up liquid
- wipe with finger, use lots of kitchen roll

the washing liquid stops the silicon sticking when it spreads beyond
the original bead as you wipe it. seemed to work

Ian White

wrote:

I've just fitted my new bathroom and it's time for the silicon sealant,
around the edges of the new vinyl flooring as well as the 3-piece suite. In
the past I have used my finger to smooth it, and made a really crap job of
it - sealant oozing out on either side of finger and difficult to get a nice
neat bead. Any tips anyone for applying silicon sealant neatly?

Asked exactly the same question a few weeks back. Lots of very erudite
answers from experts. It's well worth Googling through the archives.

It's in the FAQ.

The gist(s) involved laying masking tape guides and a bowl of water and
washing up liquid to freqently wet your finger. None of the answers
resolved the problem of laying enough silicone down to ensure complete
gap coverage without building up a huge 'snowplow' of excess silicone as
you smooth it with your finger.

It's doable, but not with a finger!

Smoothing it is certainly doable with a well-soaped finger - see the
FAQ.

Laying a smooth, even, perfect bead of silicone sealant is one of those
jobs that can only be done by someone who's doing it every day. But the
rest of us need all the help we can get, or else we end up with an
unsightly mess.

Masking tape makes sure that the finished edges will be straight and
clean, and there is no risk of smearing. When you're using masking tape,
any excess silicone is no big deal - just lift it off, dump it and carry
on smoothing.

The instructions that I wrote for the FAQ were given me by a
professional bath-fitter. Every time that I've followed them correctly,
the results have been perfect. Not just good - perfect.

--
Ian White
Abingdon, England
StealthUK

I mask off both sides and then use a gun all the way along with the
nozzle angle cut so the nozzle trails the gun. Then quickly run a wet
finger (washing up liquid mixed if you want) all the way along wiping
any major build up of excess silicone off onto a rag at the end of
each straight run (otherwise that crap gets everywhere!) Then strip
off the masking tape straight away. I leave at least a gap of 5mm each
side from the corner when applying the tape for decent adhesion or it
will just come away with a little flexing from the bath/work surface
etc.

Don't be tempted to keep touching up small imperfections cause you'll
only make it worse!
Pete C

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:50:10 +0100, "Ric" wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Sorry! It was a crafty attempt to flush out any finger sealant
smoothing experts

The FAQ covers it very well:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/decorating.html#silicone

The only thing I could add is that I found the end of a one piece
stainless dessert spoon best for smoothing a bead of sealant.

First use it at a shallow angle to get most of the excess sealant off,
then at a slightly steeper angle for the final smoothing.

If doing a line from two ends, start off slightly deeper from the
second and go shallower to blend it in with already smoothed stuff.
Then blend the 'join' in with a wet finger. It helps if the join is at
the least obtrusive end.

cheers,
Pete.
Bob

"Pete C" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:50:10 +0100, "Ric" wrote:

The FAQ covers it very well:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/decorating.html#silicone

The only thing I could add is that I found the end of a one piece
stainless dessert spoon best for smoothing a bead of sealant.

First use it at a shallow angle to get most of the excess sealant off,
then at a slightly steeper angle for the final smoothing.

If doing a line from two ends, start off slightly deeper from the
second and go shallower to blend it in with already smoothed stuff.
Then blend the 'join' in with a wet finger. It helps if the join is at
the least obtrusive end.

cheers,
Pete.

I have one run where the kitchen worktop meets a tiled window cill, both at
exactly the same height.
I'm wondering what the best way of tackling this might be - using a spoon or
finger would leave a channel, where I suppose a ridge would be better?

Bob

Pete C

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:51:45 +0100, "Bob"
wrote:

I have one run where the kitchen worktop meets a tiled window cill, both at
exactly the same height.
I'm wondering what the best way of tackling this might be - using a spoon or
finger would leave a channel, where I suppose a ridge would be better?

Hi,

Is the worktop secured to the wall below the cill in some way? How
about loosening it off a fraction, doing a flat seal, then tightening
it up. This should make the seal slighly convex and allow some
movement without the silicone coming under tension.

cheers,
Pete.

Bob

wrote:

I have one run where the kitchen worktop meets a tiled window cill, both

at
exactly the same height.
I'm wondering what the best way of tackling this might be - using a spoon

or
finger would leave a channel, where I suppose a ridge would be better?

Hi,

Is the worktop secured to the wall below the cill in some way? How
about loosening it off a fraction, doing a flat seal, then tightening
it up. This should make the seal slighly convex and allow some
movement without the silicone coming under tension.

cheers,
Pete.

Not directly - it's fixed to the base unit carcasses, two of which are then
fixed to the wall. It's also part of an 'L'. The whole length of the work
surface is around 14ft - so it would take some shifting! (The window cill is
only 5ft of this, however)

Maybe I'll try to cut a template that I can draw along the bead, to give it
the right shape (and try to avoid a dent every time I cross a tile grout
line!)

Bob

Pete C

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 12:11:56 +0100, "Bob"
wrote:

Not directly - it's fixed to the base unit carcasses, two of which are then
fixed to the wall. It's also part of an 'L'. The whole length of the work
surface is around 14ft - so it would take some shifting! (The window cill is
only 5ft of this, however)

LoL maybe not then!

Maybe I'll try to cut a template that I can draw along the bead, to give it
the right shape (and try to avoid a dent every time I cross a tile grout
line!)

If the template is bent into a square 'U' or used at an angle it
should help with this. Some masking tape either side of the join and a
batten as a guide would also help.

cheers,
Pete.