IMM

IMM wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news

The problem is that a water softener is a _huge_ restriction on the

flow

and

with any form of direct HW systems it will be the bottle neck.

Best have a phosphor in-line descaler.

As to whether this is best or not will depend on the reason the OP

wishes
to threat the water.
Adding phosphates is not the same as exchanging ions and that's not the

same

as removing ions.

This is a borderline mains pressure system. Anything that may restrict
flow/pressure should be avoided. Most people only want to descale.

That is simply not true.

It is true.

Christian McArdle

The Kinetico 2020c High Flow Softener has a service flow rate of 33 lpm
and
a peak flow rate of 51 lpm. Providing that I use a suitably large pipe
diameter, is this really going to appreciably slow down my 30 lpm supply?

You'll probably be alright. 2.8 bar is plenty strong enough to push through
a restriction. If your flow rate relied on wide bore pipes under low
pressure, the effect would be much greater than your high pressure system.

In any case, I suspect your supply might be capable of more than 25lpm. The
water company is only interested in there being more than 7lpm or 9lpm or
whatever their standards are. If they get 25lpm out of a thin bore mains
pressure only kitchen tap, they're going to say "that's fine" and not
investigate further.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Minimum flow rate required for unvented domestic hot water system

replying to IMM, Peter Clarke wrote:
interesting, I have a similar issue. But I would add that my concern is people
downstairs at breakfast time flushing loos and using mains cold at the kitchen
sink; this will reduce pressure and flow to the showers if everything depends
on incoming mains. In my case I am going to be using 2 tanks in the loft to
supply the 2 ensuites only. The main drawback will be the heat loss from the
existing combi , on its long journey to the new DHW cyclinder that I am
installing for the ensuites, and that in summer some of my central heating
flow/return will be running hot just to get heat to the DHW cylinder.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...-s-111292-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter, please read this.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/16 15:14, Peter Clarke wrote:
But I would add that my concern is people downstairs at breakfast
time flushing loos and using mains cold at the kitchen sink; this
will reduce pressure and flow to the showers if everything depends on
incoming mains.

Shouldn't do.

Not if you spilt 24mm cold from right after the stopcock to geed
everything but the hot water tank.
Roof mounted tanks are always less pressure than mains is. So as long as
you have adequately sized pipework you will always do better with mains
pressure than a header tank.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

Effect of pipe size on water flow rate? Dave UK diy 8 October 1st 04 01:04 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM