mj

Default flooring question

I'm in the process of repairing my utility room floor prior to recarpeting
next week

I've laid a thin screed (10 - 25mm) in areas where the old damaged floor has
been brought up when I lifted the ceramic tiles & plan to finish off with
some floor leveling compound.

The screed was put down 2-3 days ago after sealing & priming the floor with
a solution of diluted PVA. The surface of the new screed seems to be
slightly powdery ~ is this normal or have I messed up the mix (I put a
dollop of FEB PVA into the screed also.

Should I use some concrete hardner/sealer before the leveling compound?

When do you think it will have dried sufficiently to put the leveling
compound down?

TIA
Mike

stuart noble

mj wrote in message ...
I'm in the process of repairing my utility room floor prior to recarpeting
next week

I've laid a thin screed (10 - 25mm) in areas where the old damaged floor

has
been brought up when I lifted the ceramic tiles & plan to finish off with
some floor leveling compound.

The screed was put down 2-3 days ago after sealing & priming the floor with
a solution of diluted PVA. The surface of the new screed seems to be
slightly powdery ~ is this normal or have I messed up the mix (I put a
dollop of FEB PVA into the screed also.

Should I use some concrete hardner/sealer before the leveling compound?

When do you think it will have dried sufficiently to put the leveling
compound down?

I'd give it a soaking with 4 water: 1 PVA and allow to dry before the
levelling.

mj

I'd give it a soaking with 4 water: 1 PVA and allow to dry before the
levelling.

Cheers Stuart ~ Will give it a go

I owe you one

ATB
Mike

The Natural Philosopher

mj wrote:

I'd give it a soaking with 4 water: 1 PVA and allow to dry before the
levelling.

Cheers Stuart ~ Will give it a go

I'll second that. PVA is essential before levelling to both toughen the
surface and stop rapid water absorption from levelling compound, which
buggers up its flow and setting characteristics.

I have also found that pouring huge quantities if thickish PVA down
screed cracks eventually binds them back together immovably.

Useful stuff, PVA.

I owe you one

ATB
Mike