stuart noble

Default cat flap in DG door

Yeah, I know. Sorry to drag this up again but, assuming one opts to replace
the lower half of a glazed door with a plastic panel, what is the product
you're looking for? I assume it has some sort of foam interior and is the
same thickness as the glazed unit? My local plastics supplier suggests 2
sheets of 6mm foam board and wood to fill the voids, but I'm really looking
for an off-the-shelf solution that I can cut to size.
Any thoughts anyone? TIA

Andy Hall

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:15:39 +0100, "stuart noble"
wrote:

Yeah, I know. Sorry to drag this up again but, assuming one opts to replace
the lower half of a glazed door with a plastic panel, what is the product
you're looking for? I assume it has some sort of foam interior and is the
same thickness as the glazed unit? My local plastics supplier suggests 2
sheets of 6mm foam board and wood to fill the voids, but I'm really looking
for an off-the-shelf solution that I can cut to size.
Any thoughts anyone? TIA

Lateral suggestion.

Could you put the cat flap in a wall?
You can get plastic liner components from the flap manufacturers to
facilitate a clean tunnel. I did this in the conservatory and it
works well...

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Alex

normally 24mm foamcore or even 28mm is used for this purpose though the
later is less usual.,if you can find some company that will cut it to size
for you expect to pay £20.00 for 600 x 600 mm

Tim Mitchell

In article , Alex
writes
normally 24mm foamcore or even 28mm is used for this purpose though the
later is less usual.,if you can find some company that will cut it to size
for you expect to pay £20.00 for 600 x 600 mm

This isn't very secure though, our neighbour had a break-in with a panel
like this. They just pushed it through the frame.
--
Tim Mitchell
Rob Morley

In article , "stuart noble"
says...
Yeah, I know. Sorry to drag this up again but, assuming one opts to replace
the lower half of a glazed door with a plastic panel, what is the product
you're looking for? I assume it has some sort of foam interior and is the
same thickness as the glazed unit? My local plastics supplier suggests 2
sheets of 6mm foam board and wood to fill the voids, but I'm really looking
for an off-the-shelf solution that I can cut to size.
Any thoughts anyone? TIA

Could you use multiwall polycarbonate (conservatory roof panels)?
(Just an idea - I've never worked with it myself.)

stuart noble

Alex wrote in message ...
normally 24mm foamcore or even 28mm is used for this purpose though the
later is less usual.,if you can find some company that will cut it to size
for you expect to pay £20.00 for 600 x 600 mm

Foamcore eh? Thanks. I'll take a look.

stuart noble

Tim Mitchell wrote in message ...
In article , Alex
writes
normally 24mm foamcore or even 28mm is used for this purpose though the
later is less usual.,if you can find some company that will cut it to size
for you expect to pay £20.00 for 600 x 600 mm

This isn't very secure though, our neighbour had a break-in with a panel
like this. They just pushed it through the frame.

If it's only the beads holding it in, I guess you could push a glazed panel
through the frame too.

stuart noble

Lateral suggestion.

Could you put the cat flap in a wall?
You can get plastic liner components from the flap manufacturers to
facilitate a clean tunnel. I did this in the conservatory and it
works well...

Thought about that, but there just isn't any wall space left in this
particular kitchen, and the idea is to confine the cat (and things he might
bring home) to that one room.

Jonathan Pearson

stuart noble wrote:
Yeah, I know. Sorry to drag this up again but, assuming one opts to
replace the lower half of a glazed door with a plastic panel, what is
the product you're looking for? I assume it has some sort of foam
interior and is the same thickness as the glazed unit? My local
plastics supplier suggests 2 sheets of 6mm foam board and wood to
fill the voids, but I'm really looking for an off-the-shelf solution
that I can cut to size.
Any thoughts anyone? TIA

Why don't you get a new DG unit made up with a hole in, we replaced a full
length window (approx 1.7m x 0.5m )from a DG unit, the local glaser came out
measured up, gave him the cat flap to take with him, one week later came
back with new toughned sealed unit and fitted new unit with cat flap in,
total cost incl VAT was around £90 (something like £60 to fabricate and £30
fitting).

Jon

Andy Hall

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:20:17 +0100, "stuart noble"
wrote:

Lateral suggestion.

Could you put the cat flap in a wall?
You can get plastic liner components from the flap manufacturers to
facilitate a clean tunnel. I did this in the conservatory and it
works well...

Thought about that, but there just isn't any wall space left in this
particular kitchen, and the idea is to confine the cat (and things he might
bring home) to that one room.

I completely understand.........

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Phil Addison

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:51:18 +0100, "Jonathan Pearson"
wrote:

stuart noble wrote:
[...]

Beware of the circular cat-flaps especially 'designed' for DG use. I had
one in a foam panel and it was useless. Replaced it with a decent square
one.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
ARWadsworth

wrote:

stuart noble wrote:
[...]

Do you know of a cat flap that is quiet when it is windy, or indeed one that
is quiet when the cat comes in at 3 in the morning? That would be a decent
cat flap.

Adam

Andy Hall

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:13:02 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

..

Do you know of a cat flap that is quiet when it is windy, or indeed one that
is quiet when the cat comes in at 3 in the morning? That would be a decent
cat flap.

Adam

We have a type which has a flexible magnet around the door and frame,
effectively holding it in place. It doesn't move or rattle when
it's windy.

There's also a four position cam which controls door operation from
opening both ways, one way only, the other way only or not at all.
So you can control which way the cats are allowed to go and when.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Grunff

ARWadsworth wrote:

Do you know of a cat flap that is quiet when it is windy, or indeed one that
is quiet when the cat comes in at 3 in the morning? That would be a decent
cat flap.

Yes! The most important thing is to avoind StayWell catflaps at all
cost. Evil, hateful things they are.

We've been using CatMate flaps for a while, and I can definitely
recommend them. They aren't perfect, but they are the best we've tried
so far.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/category.asp?dept_id=44

--
Grunff
ARWadsworth

wrote:

.

Do you know of a cat flap that is quiet when it is windy, or indeed one

that
is quiet when the cat comes in at 3 in the morning? That would be a

decent
cat flap.

Adam

We have a type which has a flexible magnet around the door and frame,
effectively holding it in place. It doesn't move or rattle when
it's windy.

What make, and will it work when Emley Moor is in direct line of sight of
the flap? It can get very windy.

Adam

ARWadsworth

"Grunff" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:

Do you know of a cat flap that is quiet when it is windy, or indeed one

that
is quiet when the cat comes in at 3 in the morning? That would be a

decent
cat flap.

Yes! The most important thing is to avoind StayWell catflaps at all
cost. Evil, hateful things they are.

We've been using CatMate flaps for a while, and I can definitely
recommend them. They aren't perfect, but they are the best we've tried
so far.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/category.asp?dept_id=44

And it is a StayWell. It did not StayWell when I set the cam to stop the cat
leaving the house when it had to go to the vets for his jabs. There was an
almighty bang and he had destroyed the flap. Replaced it with an identical
model.

Thanks for the link, time for an upgrade.

Adam

Andy Hall

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:04:32 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

.

Do you know of a cat flap that is quiet when it is windy, or indeed one

that
is quiet when the cat comes in at 3 in the morning? That would be a

decent
cat flap.

Adam

We have a type which has a flexible magnet around the door and frame,
effectively holding it in place. It doesn't move or rattle when
it's windy.

What make, and will it work when Emley Moor is in direct line of sight of
the flap? It can get very windy.

Adam

I'm not at home so I can't look. It was bought in France IIRC.

If Emley Moor is in direct sight then if you're lucky it might display
BBC2. However, be careful that it doesn't ice up in winter and fall
apart.......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
ARWadsworth

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:04:32 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

.

Do you know of a cat flap that is quiet when it is windy, or indeed

one
that
is quiet when the cat comes in at 3 in the morning? That would be a

decent
cat flap.

Adam

We have a type which has a flexible magnet around the door and frame,
effectively holding it in place. It doesn't move or rattle when
it's windy.

What make, and will it work when Emley Moor is in direct line of sight of
the flap? It can get very windy.

Adam

I'm not at home so I can't look. It was bought in France IIRC.

If Emley Moor is in direct sight then if you're lucky it might display
BBC2. However, be careful that it doesn't ice up in winter and fall
apart.......

Not to give my age away, but the lack of TV must have left my parents with
little else to do for 4 days in 1969.

Adam

Andy Hall

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:55:27 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

What make, and will it work when Emley Moor is in direct line of sight of
the flap? It can get very windy.

Adam

I'm not at home so I can't look. It was bought in France IIRC.

If Emley Moor is in direct sight then if you're lucky it might display
BBC2. However, be careful that it doesn't ice up in winter and fall
apart.......

Not to give my age away, but the lack of TV must have left my parents with
little else to do for 4 days in 1969.

Adam

So you have a December/January birthday?
..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Tim Mitchell

In article , stuart noble
writes

Tim Mitchell wrote in message ...
In article , Alex
writes
normally 24mm foamcore or even 28mm is used for this purpose though the
later is less usual.,if you can find some company that will cut it to size
for you expect to pay £20.00 for 600 x 600 mm

This isn't very secure though, our neighbour had a break-in with a panel
like this. They just pushed it through the frame.

If it's only the beads holding it in, I guess you could push a glazed panel
through the frame too.

The beads didn't move, the panel just flexed and popped out.
--
Tim Mitchell

stuart noble

This isn't very secure though, our neighbour had a break-in with a panel
like this. They just pushed it through the frame.

If it's only the beads holding it in, I guess you could push a glazed

panel
through the frame too.

The beads didn't move, the panel just flexed and popped out.

Which would make the original bloke's suggestion of a upvc/ply/upvc sandwich
a good idea. That, or the new glazed panel
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Bloody cat doesn't even belong to us but,
as we often get lumbered with feeding him, I'm determined to get this flap
installed.

chris French

In message , stuart noble
writes

Lateral suggestion.

Could you put the cat flap in a wall?
You can get plastic liner components from the flap manufacturers to
facilitate a clean tunnel. I did this in the conservatory and it
works well...

Thought about that, but there just isn't any wall space left in this
particular kitchen, and the idea is to confine the cat (and things he might
bring home) to that one room.

I put a catflap in the corner of the kitchen, in a wasted corner with no
cupboards, with the washing machine adjacent.

Originally, there was another hole through into the nextdoor room, but
since that has changed use, I've blocked that up and the cats now have
to squeeze through a small gap twit the WM and the bottom corner of the
cupboard - they weren't impressed
--
Chris French, Leeds
Phil Addison

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:39:59 +0100, Grunff wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

Do you know of a cat flap that is quiet when it is windy, or indeed one that
is quiet when the cat comes in at 3 in the morning? That would be a decent
cat flap.

Yes! The most important thing is to avoind StayWell catflaps at all
cost. Evil, hateful things they are.

Yes, I'll go along with that - I'm pretty sure the hopeless circular one
was theirs.

We've been using CatMate flaps for a while, and I can definitely
recommend them. They aren't perfect, but they are the best we've tried
so far.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/category.asp?dept_id=44

Same here. Our current one is an older version of the model 914 on that
page, and seems pretty similar to andy's description. It is coded to
release only when the proper one of the six available colour coded
'magnets' is brought close to it. It doesn't blow open, but our cat has
learnt to play annoying tunes with the 'click' the solenoid makes when
he gets near it. If he approaches it slowly it clicks and the noise
makes him jerk back a little so the solenoid closes again, so he tries
again....

It's fine if he bounds through it in one go. Yes, yes, i know I should
hang a delay capacitor on the driver somewhere, maybe when I get round
to tracing the circuit diagram; unless a kind soul has already done
that.

Another thing - watch out for higher security door panels that have a
membrane of steel sandwiched in the foam. They are very difficult to cut
and have been known to prevent the magnetic flaps from working.

By the way... 6 colour coded magnets??? Well, there's north and south
poles; maybe they've invented magnets with NNW poles too :-)
I suppose the 'magnets' are really encapsulated tuned circuits.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
ARWadsworth

wrote:

What make, and will it work when Emley Moor is in direct line of sight

of
the flap? It can get very windy.

Adam

I'm not at home so I can't look. It was bought in France IIRC.

If Emley Moor is in direct sight then if you're lucky it might display
BBC2. However, be careful that it doesn't ice up in winter and fall
apart.......

Not to give my age away, but the lack of TV must have left my parents

with
little else to do for 4 days in 1969.

Adam

So you have a December/January birthday?

December. And thank God that my parents did not set the Beckhams trend of
linking names and conception or I would be called Emley or Austin 1100.
Enough said.

Adam

Andy Hall

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:14:16 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

What make, and will it work when Emley Moor is in direct line of sight

of
the flap? It can get very windy.

Adam

I'm not at home so I can't look. It was bought in France IIRC.

If Emley Moor is in direct sight then if you're lucky it might display
BBC2. However, be careful that it doesn't ice up in winter and fall
apart.......

Not to give my age away, but the lack of TV must have left my parents

with
little else to do for 4 days in 1969.

Adam

So you have a December/January birthday?

December. And thank God that my parents did not set the Beckhams trend of
linking names and conception or I would be called Emley or Austin 1100.
Enough said.

Adam

Pretty conclusive then.........