Mark

Default Plastering in Spain

Plastering in Spain
Im just about young enough to remember how easy it is to get plastered in
Spain, however im going to spend a week with the in-laws who have retired
out there and have asked me to plaster a wall and a ceiling during the
visit.
So question is, anyone done work out there and know What the Spanish use as
plaster, do they use gypsum and if so what types are available.
TA
--
Mark

dp

I don't know how good your Spanish is, but these sites should hold some
useful information.

http://www.aki.es
http://www.leroymerlin.es

I would imagine there are regional differences between what is used and I am
sure there will still be some plasterers who mix their own from what is
available. I believe horse urine was a popular ingredient at one time in the
Home Counties.

Dave Stanton

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 23:52:27 +0000, Mark wrote:

Plastering in Spain
Im just about young enough to remember how easy it is to get plastered in
Spain, however im going to spend a week with the in-laws who have retired
out there and have asked me to plaster a wall and a ceiling during the
visit.
So question is, anyone done work out there and know What the Spanish use
as plaster, do they use gypsum and if so what types are available. TA

I remember on one TV prog, cant think which it was maybe DIY SOS, the
british plasters were suprised how fast the plaster went off in the heat.

Dave

Michael Mcneil

"Dave Stanton" wrote in message
news
So question is, anyone done work out there and know What the Spanish use
as plaster, do they use gypsum and if so what types are available. TA

I remember on one TV prog, cant think which it was maybe DIY SOS, the
british plasters were suprised how fast the plaster went off in the heat.

I rmember a similar type one where the secret aditive for the red and
brown effects is soil or clay. I don't know what the stuff was added to
though, possibly lime & sand?

Lobster

"Mark" wrote in message
Plastering in Spain
Im just about young enough to remember how easy it is to get plastered in
Spain, however im going to spend a week with the in-laws who have retired
out there and have asked me to plaster a wall and a ceiling during the
visit.
So question is, anyone done work out there and know What the Spanish use

as
plaster, do they use gypsum and if so what types are available.

Someone will no doubt jump in here if I'm wrong but AFAIK the UK is the only
country which uses a two-coat plaster system; everywhere else it's
single-coat. But I don;t know any more than that...

David

Mark

dp no@mail typed:

So question is, anyone done work out there and know What the Spanish use
as plaster, do they use gypsum and if so what types are available.

I don't know how good your Spanish is, but these sites should hold
some useful information.

http://www.aki.es
http://www.leroymerlin.es

Non existent, I can see me asking for a bag of plaster and getting a box of
band-aid.

Dave Stanton

Non existent, I can see me asking for a bag of plaster and getting a box
of band-aid.

You might also want to check the previous thread on here about getting
plaster out of a bucket!! G

Dave

chris French

In message , Dave Stanton
writes
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 23:52:27 +0000, Mark wrote:

Plastering in Spain
Im just about young enough to remember how easy it is to get plastered in
Spain, however im going to spend a week with the in-laws who have retired
out there and have asked me to plaster a wall and a ceiling during the
visit.
So question is, anyone done work out there and know What the Spanish use
as plaster, do they use gypsum and if so what types are available. TA

I remember on one TV prog, cant think which it was maybe DIY SOS, the
british plasters were suprised how fast the plaster went off in the heat.

Was it that one a little while ago were a groups were doing up a house
in Spain, and each week one couple got knocked out?

I remember that one chap was a plasterer or builder, and the stuff they
used in Spain was very different
--
Chris French, Leeds

Dave Stanton

It wasn't the heat, but the local plaster they were using. It has to be
mixed sloppy, then left to stand for a while until it thickens, then
applied quickly before it goes off.

Ok fair point.

Dave

Lobster

"Mark" wrote in message
dp no@mail typed:

I don't know how good your Spanish is, but these sites should hold
some useful information.

Non existent, I can see me asking for a bag of plaster and getting a box

of
band-aid.

Like SWBO, unsuccessfully trying to buy butter in the corner shop..
"Er...burro? burro?"
When she got back and consulted the phrase book, she found why she'd been
glared at by the proprietor - she'd been asking for 'donkey'.

Tom

"Mark" wrote in message
Plastering in Spain
Im just about young enough to remember how easy it is to get plastered in
Spain, however im going to spend a week with the in-laws who have retired
out there and have asked me to plaster a wall and a ceiling during the
visit.
So question is, anyone done work out there and know What the Spanish use

as
plaster, do they use gypsum and if so what types are available.
TA
--
Mark

I think they call it Yesu, Geso or Yosa or something like that, and I've got
a feeling that someone told me it was plaster of Paris, but I can't be sure.
Good luck, at least the weather is good out there.
Tom

Anna Kettle

I think they call it Yesu, Geso or Yosa or something like that, and I've got
a feeling that someone told me it was plaster of Paris, but I can't be sure.
Good luck, at least the weather is good out there.
Tom

Gypsum plaster is plaster of paris with aggregate and retarders added
(and possibly other mystery ingredients like pink colouring ...) I
expect that more retarder is added in hot climates

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
tony sayer

In article , Anna Kettle
writes
I think they call it Yesu, Geso or Yosa or something like that, and I've got
a feeling that someone told me it was plaster of Paris, but I can't be sure.
Good luck, at least the weather is good out there.
Tom

Gypsum plaster is plaster of paris with aggregate and retarders added
(and possibly other mystery ingredients like pink colouring ...) I
expect that more retarder is added in hot climates

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

Why don't they use multifinish like wot we do?......
--
Tony Sayer

Fitz

"Tom" wrote in message ...
"Mark" wrote in message
Plastering in Spain

snip

anyone done work out there and know What the Spanish use
as
plaster, do they use gypsum and if so what types are available.
TA
--
Mark

I think they call it Yesu, Geso or Yosa or something like that

That's the stuff. Spelled with a 'g' I believe but pronounced
'yes-O'.

Don't know a lot about it, but FiL lives in Spain and told me they
have (at least) two types. Normal gesso, for rendering and gesso
rapido which sets ridiculously quickly. He described some tradesmen
putting in wall boxes for electrics. They carved out a big hole,
wired up, mixed up gesso rapido to the consistency of milk. Within
minutes it was like a paste and when thick enough they slap it into
the hole around the electric back boxes. It sets completely solid
almost straight away and holds the box in place very securely.

With normal gesso the conventional practice seems to be to slap it on
in as rough a manner as possible and not to even bother trying to
smooth it off. ;-)

--
Steve
G&M

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Anna Kettle
writes
I think they call it Yesu, Geso or Yosa or something like that, and I've

got
a feeling that someone told me it was plaster of Paris, but I can't be

sure.
Good luck, at least the weather is good out there.
Tom

Gypsum plaster is plaster of paris with aggregate and retarders added
(and possibly other mystery ingredients like pink colouring ...) I
expect that more retarder is added in hot climates

Why don't they use multifinish like wot we do?......

Cos they like rough scratchy walls ?

Tips Needed on Plastering Bodysnatcher UK diy 7 August 10th 04 01:36 PM
lime plastering - expected costs vs gypsum Stephen Fasham UK diy 42 May 22nd 04 03:59 PM
Old plastering and fireplaces Richard Owen UK diy 1 October 30th 03 12:42 PM
plastering JOE UK diy 2 September 19th 03 12:25 PM