Max

Default Cleaning plaster out of bucket

Hi this maybe a stupid question but how do you clean your buckets out
after you've done some plastering? I used to swill mine out with water
and dump it down the drain, till one day I forgot to tip the water away
and found in the morning the plaster had set under water which got me
thinking that cant do the drain much good :/.

I generally like to clean my bucket between mixes, and I'd rather not
buy extra buckets. So do you think its ok to tip it down the drain or is
there a better solution?

Michael Mcneil

"Max" wrote in message

I generally like to clean my bucket between mixes, and I'd rather not
buy extra buckets. So do you think its ok to tip it down the drain or is
there a better solution?

I don't think thee is a solution for gypsum is there? It will have
blocked your sewer somewhere. With luck it may have kept itself to the
water trap.

What you do is wipe the bucket with the trowel and then brush it out
with clean water then rinse it asap. Do try and remember next time,
there's a good chap.

You can use the old plaster on the garde if you have acid soil,
otherwise it should go in the bin.

Max

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 18:25:44 +0000 (UTC),
Michael Mcneil wrote:

I don't think thee is a solution for gypsum is there? It will have
blocked your sewer somewhere. With luck it may have kept itself to the
water trap.

What you do is wipe the bucket with the trowel and then brush it out
with clean water then rinse it asap. Do try and remember next time,
there's a good chap.

You can use the old plaster on the garde if you have acid soil,
otherwise it should go in the bin.

My drains still working ok thank goodness, I do scrape out as much of
the old plaster as I can but you can never get it a hundred percent
clean unless you give it a good swill round with water.

Anyway think I'll start buying new buckets in future. Someone should
invent a plastic bag type bucket that is cheap and easy to dispose of.

Thanks for ye help.

OldScrawn

Anyway think I'll start buying new buckets in future

Get one of the flexible moulded jobs with integral handles. You can just let
plaster and (ten times worse) grout set in these, then knock and flex them and
it all falls out. Can't remember the name but "farm supplies" places stock them

Rick Dipper

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 17:54:43 +0100, Max wrote:

Hi this maybe a stupid question but how do you clean your buckets out
after you've done some plastering? I used to swill mine out with water
and dump it down the drain, till one day I forgot to tip the water away
and found in the morning the plaster had set under water which got me
thinking that cant do the drain much good :/.

I generally like to clean my bucket between mixes, and I'd rather not
buy extra buckets. So do you think its ok to tip it down the drain or is
there a better solution?

Scrape it clean, let it dry. So little is left it don't much matter,
if it starts to build up, chuck it out. B&Q buckets are only 99 pence,
a lot less than a blocked drain. If I am feeling like not doing the 3
hour round drive to B&Q, I turn bucket over, and bang, it cracks off,
or I clean the bucket with a hose pipe and let the mess stay on the
garden.

Rick

raden

In message , Max
writes
Hi this maybe a stupid question but how do you clean your buckets out
after you've done some plastering? I used to swill mine out with water
and dump it down the drain, till one day I forgot to tip the water away
and found in the morning the plaster had set under water which got me
thinking that cant do the drain much good :/.

I generally like to clean my bucket between mixes, and I'd rather not
buy extra buckets. So do you think its ok to tip it down the drain or is
there a better solution?

Let it set and hit the bucket with a hammer

--
geoff
John Rumm

Max wrote:

Anyway think I'll start buying new buckets in future. Someone should
invent a plastic bag type bucket that is cheap and easy to dispose of.

I think it is called a "Wickes Builders Bucket" 98p / each.

--
Cheers,

John.

Michael Mcneil

"raden" wrote in message

Let it set and hit the bucket with a hammer

Guaranteed to crack the bucket. Also, if you leave plaster in the bucket
it will set the new stuff off toute sweetie.

You don't have to get the last tint of pink out though.

raden

In message lgate.org,
Michael Mcneil writes
"raden" wrote in message

Let it set and hit the bucket with a hammer

Guaranteed to crack the bucket.

Works for me (usually)

--
geoff
stuart noble

Max wrote in message ...
My drains still working ok thank goodness, I do scrape out as much of
the old plaster as I can but you can never get it a hundred percent
clean unless you give it a good swill round with water.

Do that but leave it for a an hour to let the plaster settle, drain off
water, residue in bin.

N. Thornton

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message news:832d52efd8cad801dd1dd90ef3699357.45219@mygat e.mailgate.org...
"raden" wrote in message

Let it set and hit the bucket with a hammer

Guaranteed to crack the bucket. Also, if you leave plaster in the bucket
it will set the new stuff off toute sweetie.

You don't have to get the last tint of pink out though.

Knock what you can out, swill out to remove remnants and dump it on
the garden. A hard layer builds up on the patch of soil, when the
works all done just lift the crust off the soil it and bin it.

NT
Arthur

"raden" wrote in message

Let it set and hit the bucket with a hammer

Guaranteed to crack the bucket. Also, if you leave plaster in the bucket
it will set the new stuff off toute sweetie.

You don't have to get the last tint of pink out though.

I use a piece of wooden batten and it loosens 90% of it.
But I get worried by the euphoric feeling I get from this action.

Arthur

dave

raden wrote in message ...
In message lgate.org,
Michael Mcneil writes
"raden" wrote in message

Let it set and hit the bucket with a hammer

Guaranteed to crack the bucket.

Works for me (usually)

I clean the bucket and chuck the dirty water into an old wheelbarrow.
The plaster settles to the bottom and leaves cleanish water which is
used to clean the next bucket.
chris French

In message , OldScrawn
writes
Anyway think I'll start buying new buckets in future

Get one of the flexible moulded jobs with integral handles. You can just let
plaster and (ten times worse) grout set in these, then knock and flex them and
it all falls out. Can't remember the name but "farm supplies" places stock them

'TubTrugs' well that's one brand name at least.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Max writes:
Hi this maybe a stupid question but how do you clean your buckets out
after you've done some plastering? I used to swill mine out with water
and dump it down the drain, till one day I forgot to tip the water away
and found in the morning the plaster had set under water which got me
thinking that cant do the drain much good :/.

I generally like to clean my bucket between mixes, and I'd rather not
buy extra buckets. So do you think its ok to tip it down the drain or is
there a better solution?

Swill out with water using an old washing up brush to dislodge
all the plaster from the bucket and empty over the lawn. When
it's dark outside, I empty it all in the same place in the
garden (which was a depression in the ground). Grass seems to
grow in the plaster without any problems.

I do this before applying the plaster I just mixed -- that can
wait for the time it takes to wash up the bucket and strirrer,
but they won't wait until I've finished putting up the plaster.

--
Andrew Gabriel

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
Tips Needed on Plastering Bodysnatcher UK diy 7 August 10th 04 01:36 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
How can I fix cracks in plaster of old house? Phil Munro Home Repair 5 October 18th 03 10:48 AM