Ed Sirett

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:41:06 +0000, raden wrote:

In message , Rob
writes
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 23:07:23 GMT, raden wrote:

I was told today that every Wimpy home in the UK built in the past X
years is fitted with a Suprima ... should keep me going for a while.

Can't speak for every area, but I know that every house on Barratt
estates in our area are fitted with Suprimas. And some other house
builders too....that's a LOT of Suprimas. Will keep you in PCBs for
ages, Geoff!

Can you say "down to a price......."?

That might hold as an argument if it were not for the fact that even at
trade prices the Suprimas are not that good a choice.

Apart from the very low powered units if you take a middling 60 kBtu/hr
(c. 18kW)
unit with the flue and the VAT you are talking about the same money as a
system boiler from Vaillant. The latter has the pump, filling loop and all
the sealed system components included. (That alone would be pushing £100 +
fitting labour).

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Capitol

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've never seen this. All the ones I've had dealings with had series
heaters with a series resistor. Some radios used special mains cord as the
resistor.

Rule of thumb, AC current flow, 80mA/uF. Use large oiled paper/foil
capacitors if you want trouble free operation.

Regards
Capitol
raden

In message , Malc
writes
raden wrote in message

Didn't anybody ever apply a brain to this?

Surely the cost of the returns in dealing with them would start to
compare with the cost of a better design.......

Andy you're on dangerous ground here, applying logic and such

Cloff.

Cloff ?

--
geoff
raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
This was of course before litigation became the business it is today..

Well.... they applied a brain at least, albeit not a heart.

I've always had the view that if the running of business is dominated
by one discipline (e.g. accountants, marketeers, engineers, sales) to
the point where the others have little influence, then it will
probably ultimately fail.

When accountants get a stranglehold of a company, you know it's about to
stagnate

As for marketing, what does everyone else feel about RS's new "vision"
statement - "Do great things" ...

"I want to buy some capacitors, I promise I'll do great things with
them, ... honest"
--
geoff
Malc

raden wrote in message ...
In message , Malc
writes
raden wrote in message

Didn't anybody ever apply a brain to this?

Surely the cost of the returns in dealing with them would start to
compare with the cost of a better design.......

Andy you're on dangerous ground here, applying logic and such

Cloff.

Cloff ?

Sorry it's an expression from Ye Shedde. A cloff is what you use to
clean whatever you've just sprayed over the screen/keyboard.

--
Malc

Views on Potterton Suprema and Megaflow? Dave UK diy 20 November 14th 05 07:36 PM
Replacing my Potterton EP2000 boiler controller with a Horstmann - wiring question ? JE UK diy 15 July 24th 05 06:25 PM
Potterton Suprima 80 "Lockout" David Longley UK diy 25 April 26th 05 11:49 PM
Potterton overheat steve_m UK diy 5 February 17th 04 04:28 PM
potterton boiler Ronald Walters Home Repair 1 December 12th 03 08:39 PM