Michael

Default Potterton

Hello folks! Yes its me again with the Potterton Suprima 80 which only
works on full temp setting. And then the water temp only reaches
60degree before the boiler goes off for 5mins. Comes for a few mins
when water out pipe from boiler reaches 45-50degree. Boiler is now 3
years, problem since new. Pump is set to fast speed, no problems with
pump, no air in system either. Previously had supurima 50 which worked
excellently with only half full temp setting, with all same pipe work.

What has happened so far...
1. New PCB
2. New Temp Sensor
3. New temp control pot
4. Another new temp sensor
1-4 made no difference, same problem.

Anyone with any advise welcome....
tony sayer

In article , Michael
writes
Hello folks! Yes its me again with the Potterton Suprima 80 which only
works on full temp setting. And then the water temp only reaches
60degree before the boiler goes off for 5mins. Comes for a few mins
when water out pipe from boiler reaches 45-50degree. Boiler is now 3
years, problem since new. Pump is set to fast speed, no problems with
pump, no air in system either. Previously had supurima 50 which worked
excellently with only half full temp setting, with all same pipe work.

What has happened so far...
1. New PCB
2. New Temp Sensor
3. New temp control pot
4. Another new temp sensor
1-4 made no difference, same problem.

Anyone with any advise welcome....

'Err, chuck it out and pretend that its been pinched and claim on yer
insurance for another one?

Tony Sayer

fellow Suprima 80 victim

Ed Sirett

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 20:48:58 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Michael
writes
Hello folks! Yes its me again with the Potterton Suprima 80 which only
works on full temp setting. And then the water temp only reaches
60degree before the boiler goes off for 5mins. Comes for a few mins
when water out pipe from boiler reaches 45-50degree. Boiler is now 3
years, problem since new. Pump is set to fast speed, no problems with
pump, no air in system either. Previously had supurima 50 which worked
excellently with only half full temp setting, with all same pipe work.

What has happened so far...
1. New PCB
2. New Temp Sensor
3. New temp control pot
4. Another new temp sensor
1-4 made no difference, same problem.

Anyone with any advise welcome....

Try new reconned PCB from cetltd.com I'd have no faith the new PCB was any
better than the original. There are Suprimas that do work OK. They seem to
be the main choice for current new build (more fool them).

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

raden

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Michael
writes
Hello folks! Yes its me again with the Potterton Suprima 80 which only
works on full temp setting. And then the water temp only reaches
60degree before the boiler goes off for 5mins. Comes for a few mins
when water out pipe from boiler reaches 45-50degree. Boiler is now 3
years, problem since new. Pump is set to fast speed, no problems with
pump, no air in system either. Previously had supurima 50 which worked
excellently with only half full temp setting, with all same pipe work.

What has happened so far...
1. New PCB
2. New Temp Sensor
3. New temp control pot
4. Another new temp sensor
1-4 made no difference, same problem.

Anyone with any advise welcome....

'Err, chuck it out and pretend that its been pinched and claim on yer
insurance for another one?

You'll be telling me next that there's a problem with Suprimas

OP - sorry, a bit short on ideas on this one, unless there's an
obstruction in the system, but then, the temperatures would prolly rise
higher on re-ignition. Is the pump circulating the water properly?

Are the LEDs behaving themselves?

Is it a new pcb or one of mine ?

(CET)

One has to ask, why you didn't get the problem sorted while it was under
warranty

--
geoff
raden

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
[...]

Thanks Ed, but basically you're measuring one resistance against
another, and unless he's so extremely unfortunate to have two boards
with a very rare fault, is extremely unlikely.

I must admit to being stumped on this one as the OP has changed all the
bits I would expect to be at fault. Having said this and had a ponder
.... the temp sensor is delicate and may have been damaged

OP - can you find out the resistance of the temp sensor at room temp and
the resistance when it cuts out ?

--
geoff

Michael

raden wrote in message ...
In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
[...]

--------------------------------

Thanks everyone once again, there must be a potterton guru who knows
what the problem is. Surely replacing a suprima 50 for a suprima 80
would mean more heat meaning less higher heat setting required. Half
setting for suprima 50, hot water after 30mins, now with suprima 80
full heat setting needs 1 hour for reasonable hot water only enough to
keep your hands in a running tap. Not really hot enough. Same issue
with the rads

Why I did not get the problem sorted within the 1st year, well you can
see no one actually knows what the problem is to apply a fix. So if
any potterson guru meaning person working in the suprima design office
at potterton/baxi should read this - please put us all out of our
misery, well me anyway, by revealing to us the answer.

For now, when the thing is knackered, the chance of the replacement
being a potterton, well it's a bit like NASA putting men on Mars,
fairly remote
tony sayer

In article , Michael
writes
raden wrote in message
In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
[...]

Why don't you write to them, recorded delivery, and ask them what they
intend to do, hopefully they might send one of their staff round, before
you throw it to the press or TV etc?. Course you won't do this, but it
might wake them up, after all that PCB has been to total pile of cack
right from the word go.

--
Tony Sayer

raden

In message , Michael
writes

Thanks everyone once again, there must be a potterton guru who knows
what the problem is. Surely replacing a suprima 50 for a suprima 80
would mean more heat meaning less higher heat setting required. Half
setting for suprima 50, hot water after 30mins, now with suprima 80
full heat setting needs 1 hour for reasonable hot water only enough to
keep your hands in a running tap. Not really hot enough. Same issue
with the rads

Why I did not get the problem sorted within the 1st year, well you can
see no one actually knows what the problem is to apply a fix. So if
any potterson guru meaning person working in the suprima design office
at potterton/baxi should read this - please put us all out of our
misery, well me anyway, by revealing to us the answer.

Well, I'm prolly as close as you are likely to get in uk-diy, and I
don't have an answer on the information you've given

As for Baxi / (potterton) admitting any sort of problem - forget it

They claim there is "no issue with the pcb" , despite the fact that half
the pcbs I repair are Suprimas

--
geoff
tony sayer

In article , raden
writes
In message , Michael
writes

[...]

There're lying toads then.

Feck 'em, next time we get a boiler there not on the guest list.....
--
Tony Sayer

Richard Savage

raden wrote:

They claim there is "no issue with the pcb" , despite the fact that
half the pcbs I repair are Suprimas

I was in my local Plumb Center 2 or 3 months ago and raised the subject
of my Suprima 80 constantly tripping out (this was before I re-made
every solder joint on the PCB thus fixing the fault). The bod behind
the counter told me that last year Potterton changed PCB supplier and,
wait for it, replaced all PCBs in Suprima boilers that were in store,.
i.e. pre-delivery. Does that sound likely?

Richard

Malc

"Richard Savage" wrote in message
.. .

raden wrote:

They claim there is "no issue with the pcb" , despite the fact that
half the pcbs I repair are Suprimas

I was in my local Plumb Center 2 or 3 months ago and raised the subject
of my Suprima 80 constantly tripping out (this was before I re-made
every solder joint on the PCB thus fixing the fault). The bod behind
the counter told me that last year Potterton changed PCB supplier and,
wait for it, replaced all PCBs in Suprima boilers that were in store,.
i.e. pre-delivery. Does that sound likely?

Not having seen the start of this thread I'm wading in. I used to work for
Potterton in the 80s in the R& D dept. A lot of their stuff was made down to
a price to compete with electromechanical stats etc. The cheapest
manufacturers were used at all points and some of the dodges used to make
the first electronic tank stats work were ludicrous. I made myself quite
unpopular with my boss by telling him so in a memo (first job out of uni
too). I dunno if they are like that now of course but....

--
Malc

raden

In message , Richard Savage
writes

raden wrote:

They claim there is "no issue with the pcb" , despite the fact that
half the pcbs I repair are Suprimas

I was in my local Plumb Center 2 or 3 months ago and raised the subject
of my Suprima 80 constantly tripping out (this was before I re-made
every solder joint on the PCB thus fixing the fault). The bod behind
the counter told me that last year Potterton changed PCB supplier and,
wait for it, replaced all PCBs in Suprima boilers that were in store,.
i.e. pre-delivery. Does that sound likely?

I've not seen any, it takes time for them to filter through to me, it
would make sense from their point of view, before victims actually get
together and bring a class action

I was told today that every Wimpy home in the UK built in the past X
years is fitted with a Suprima ... should keep me going for a while.

--
geoff
raden

In message , Malc
writes

"Richard Savage" wrote in message
. ..

raden wrote:

[...]

Were they totally ****e then?

I think not

They have gone a long way down hill recently, I know a lot of fitters
who will no longer fit a Potterton boiler

--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
Not having seen the start of this thread I'm wading in. I used to work
for Potterton in the 80s in the R& D dept. A lot of their stuff was
made down to a price to compete with electromechanical stats etc. The
cheapest manufacturers were used at all points and some of the dodges
used to make the first electronic tank stats work were ludicrous. I
made myself quite unpopular with my boss by telling him so in a memo
(first job out of uni too). I dunno if they are like that now of course
but....

Were they totally ****e then?

I think not

I suppose the rot could have set in by then in R&D which took some time to
filter through to production.
Certainly their actual products until, what, the late '80s were among the
best in class. I sometimes wish my old Kingfisher would fail so I was
forced to fit a more efficient one.;-)

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Malc

raden wrote in message ...
In message , Malc
writes

raden wrote:

[...]

Fairly ****e yes. The boilers which generally speaking were designed
much earlier, were reliable, the controls much less so. At one point
we were selecting relays for the tank stats based on how slowly they
would switch, the slower the better. If we weren't getting enough slow
switching ones (for production) we'd adjust the timer so that more
passed (or failed dependent on your view point). The potentiometer for
the stats was a preset because the guys who designed them thought
people would just set one temp then leave the stat alone which is not
what happens. The stats and the EP range of controllers were powered
by capacitive droppers to save money which let through mains spikes
and cause the stats to blow up and the controllers to switch on
permanently and....................

enough?

--
MAlc

Rob

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 23:07:23 GMT, raden wrote:

I was told today that every Wimpy home in the UK built in the past X
years is fitted with a Suprima ... should keep me going for a while.

Can't speak for every area, but I know that every house on Barratt
estates in our area are fitted with Suprimas. And some other house
builders too....that's a LOT of Suprimas. Will keep you in PCBs for
ages, Geoff!

Can you say "down to a price......."?

-Rob

Ed Sirett

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 23:07:23 +0000, raden wrote:

In message , Richard Savage
writes

raden wrote:

They claim there is "no issue with the pcb" , despite the fact that
half the pcbs I repair are Suprimas

I was in my local Plumb Center 2 or 3 months ago and raised the subject
of my Suprima 80 constantly tripping out (this was before I re-made
every solder joint on the PCB thus fixing the fault). The bod behind
the counter told me that last year Potterton changed PCB supplier and,
wait for it, replaced all PCBs in Suprima boilers that were in store,.
i.e. pre-delivery. Does that sound likely?

I've not seen any, it takes time for them to filter through to me, it
would make sense from their point of view, before victims actually get
together and bring a class action

I was told today that every Wimpy home in the UK built in the past X
years is fitted with a Suprima ... should keep me going for a while.

Yep, they are the in choice for all new builds, even the more upmarket
builders. I think that Architects are specifying Poxi Battertons based on
the Profile and Netaheat stuff from 20 years back.
However next year there won't be anymore being fitted in new build 8-)
It remains to be seen what condensing model is going to be...
so long as its not the Baxi Barcelona....

As for the controls why would anyone want to fit an electronic tank stat,
the hysteris of a normal bi-metal drayton/horstman/honeywell unit is
useful. The low tech stuff is fine. OK the little neon showing
'sat'(isfied) is marginally helpful.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Andy Hall

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:50:31 +0100, "Ed Sirett"
wrote:

Yep, they are the in choice for all new builds, even the more upmarket
builders. I think that Architects are specifying Poxi Battertons based on
the Profile and Netaheat stuff from 20 years back.
However next year there won't be anymore being fitted in new build 8-)
It remains to be seen what condensing model is going to be...
so long as its not the Baxi Barcelona....

There could be a business opportunity though, just like Geoff has
found with Suprima boards.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
raden

In message , Malc
writes
raden wrote in message

[...]

As do at least half the control pcbs on a majority of boilers - really
doesn't help when it comes to Suprimas

--
geoff

raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

Yep, they are the in choice for all new builds, even the more upmarket
builders. I think that Architects are specifying Poxi Battertons based on
the Profile and Netaheat stuff from 20 years back.
However next year there won't be anymore being fitted in new build 8-)
It remains to be seen what condensing model is going to be...
so long as its not the Baxi Barcelona....

There could be a business opportunity though, just like Geoff has
found with Suprima boards.

.... And Barcelonas

--
geoff

Malc

"Pete C" wrote in message
On 5 Oct 2004 00:34:22 -0700, (Malc)
wrote:

Were they totally ****e then?

I think not

Fairly ****e yes.

LOL!

The boilers which generally speaking were designed
much earlier, were reliable, the controls much less so. At one point
we were selecting relays for the tank stats based on how slowly they
would switch, the slower the better. If we weren't getting enough slow
switching ones (for production) we'd adjust the timer so that more
passed (or failed dependent on your view point).

Why do they need to switch slowly?

Because it was a crap design basically. They used a capacitive dropper from
each side of the output relay (i.e. from the NC and the NO contact but not
the common) to provide power for the stat (both feeding into a common
rectifier, zener and smoothing cap). In some modes of wiring a CH circuit it
is possible for the power to arrive at the stat from the NC side of the
relay, as I'm sure you know. In this case the power had to charge up the
smoothing capacitor which kept power on the relay as it changed over. If the
relay moved too quickly then there wasn't enough charge in the capacitor to
power the relay across to the NO contact and it would oscillate and burn out
the zener.
If the circuit had been provided with bigger droppers and also a higher
wattage zener then it would have been fine but in the interests of cheapness
things were pared to the limit. As it was my job to analyse field returns I
got to know the various failure modes by sight without having to test the
stat. At one point we were running at 10% failure rate.

--
Malc

Andy Hall

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:44:42 GMT, "Malc"
wrote:

[...]

Didn't anybody ever apply a brain to this?

Surely the cost of the returns in dealing with them would start to
compare with the cost of a better design.......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Rob

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:41:06 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Rob
writes
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 23:07:23 GMT, raden wrote:

I was told today that every Wimpy home in the UK built in the past X
years is fitted with a Suprima ... should keep me going for a while.

Can't speak for every area, but I know that every house on Barratt
estates in our area are fitted with Suprimas. And some other house
builders too....that's a LOT of Suprimas. Will keep you in PCBs for
ages, Geoff!

Can you say "down to a price......."?

?

Houses/boilers built down to a price.....

raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

[...]

Andy you're on dangerous ground here, applying logic and such

--
geoff
raden

In message , Rob
writes
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:41:06 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Rob
writes
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 23:07:23 GMT, raden wrote:

I was told today that every Wimpy home in the UK built in the past X
years is fitted with a Suprima ... should keep me going for a while.

Can't speak for every area, but I know that every house on Barratt
estates in our area are fitted with Suprimas. And some other house
builders too....that's a LOT of Suprimas. Will keep you in PCBs for
ages, Geoff!

Can you say "down to a price......."?

?

Houses/boilers built down to a price.....

Ah, I see

"'ere y'are mate, I'll give you a deal on 10,000 " you mean
--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .uk,
Ed Sirett wrote:
As for the controls why would anyone want to fit an electronic tank stat,
the hysteris of a normal bi-metal drayton/horstman/honeywell unit is
useful. The low tech stuff is fine. OK the little neon showing
'sat'(isfied) is marginally helpful.

An electronic one is probably cheaper to make. When you're making millions
of the things, it nearly comes down to just the cost of the raw materials
and energy.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Malc

raden wrote in message ...

Didn't anybody ever apply a brain to this?

Surely the cost of the returns in dealing with them would start to
compare with the cost of a better design.......

Andy you're on dangerous ground here, applying logic and such

Cloff.

Eventually they did but it was two years after I joined, and they'd
set up their own electronics manufacturing facility (Enertech) in
Redditch, that anything was done. And then the managing director had
to step in and adjudicate between my boss and the director of Enertech
who were playing politics over the design instead of pulling together.
At one point my boss forbad me to talk to Enertech about the design
which given that we were different parts of the same company I chose
to ignore, which got me into more trouble.

--
MAlc
tony sayer

In article , raden
writes
In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

[...]

IIRC Ford in the USofA had a car, the Pinto, that almost blew up in a
rear end collision, apparently some bolts would tear the fuel tank
apart.

It seemed at the time it was cheaper for Ford not to modify production
but to argue the accident claims.

This was of course before litigation became the business it is today..
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer

In article , Malc
writes
raden wrote in message

Didn't anybody ever apply a brain to this?

Surely the cost of the returns in dealing with them would start to
compare with the cost of a better design.......

Andy you're on dangerous ground here, applying logic and such

Cloff.

Eventually they did but it was two years after I joined, and they'd
set up their own electronics manufacturing facility (Enertech) in
Redditch, that anything was done. And then the managing director had
to step in and adjudicate between my boss and the director of Enertech
who were playing politics over the design instead of pulling together.
At one point my boss forbad me to talk to Enertech about the design
which given that we were different parts of the same company I chose
to ignore, which got me into more trouble.

Such is the best of British management. World class;(
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer

In article , raden
writes
In message , Malc
writes
raden wrote in message

[...]

Capactive droppers or wattless droppers, are nothing new, they were used
in TV 's years ago to drop the voltage required to the heater chain. Not
a bad idea really.....
--
Tony Sayer

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Capactive droppers or wattless droppers, are nothing new, they were used
in TV 's years ago to drop the voltage required to the heater chain. Not
a bad idea really.....

I've never seen this. All the ones I've had dealings with had series
heaters with a series resistor. Some radios used special mains cord as the
resistor.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
tony sayer writes:

IIRC Ford in the USofA had a car, the Pinto, that almost blew up in a
rear end collision, apparently some bolts would tear the fuel tank
apart.

It seemed at the time it was cheaper for Ford not to modify production
but to argue the accident claims.

This was of course before litigation became the business it is today..

This was the case which changed that. ISTR Ford argued it would
have cost them $125M to change the design of the fuel tank so
the cars didn't all burst into flames on rear-end collisions,
in a case where they were being sued by someone who was badly
burned. So the Judge turned to them and said, in that case, the
damages will be $125M to make it clear you will not use finiancial
considerations in deciding if it's worth fixing a faulty design to
save lifes/injuries. Ford had been expecting damages of well under
a $1M based only on the injuries, loss of earnings, etc. and had
calculated it was cheaper to pay the damages to many victims than
to fix the design fault. This case changed that from then on.

--
Andrew Gabriel
IMM

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , raden
writes
In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

[...]

They were knowlingly prepared to allow people to be killed because it was
financially beneficial to them. I hate that company, have a look at what
they have done through history. Scum of the earth.

Pete C

wrote:

[...]

((

In these situations it's best to marvel at the wonders of paid
employment, but it's not easy to do as a graduate!

But they're still in business so it shows how bad things can get
without being terminal.

What was the application? It sounds like it was designed for
retrofitting if there was no provision for a separate mains feed to
the circuit. Not easy to power a circuit from both sides of a relay
alone.

cheers,
Pete.
Andy Hall

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:51:57 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , raden
writes
In message , Andy Hall

Didn't anybody ever apply a brain to this?

Surely the cost of the returns in dealing with them would start to
compare with the cost of a better design.......

Andy you're on dangerous ground here, applying logic and such

IIRC Ford in the USofA had a car, the Pinto, that almost blew up in a
rear end collision, apparently some bolts would tear the fuel tank
apart.

It seemed at the time it was cheaper for Ford not to modify production
but to argue the accident claims.

This was of course before litigation became the business it is today..

Well.... they applied a brain at least, albeit not a heart.

I've always had the view that if the running of business is dominated
by one discipline (e.g. accountants, marketeers, engineers, sales) to
the point where the others have little influence, then it will
probably ultimately fail.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Malc

Pete C wrote in message . ..

((

In these situations it's best to marvel at the wonders of paid
employment, but it's not easy to do as a graduate!

But they're still in business so it shows how bad things can get
without being terminal.

What was the application? It sounds like it was designed for
retrofitting if there was no provision for a separate mains feed to
the circuit. Not easy to power a circuit from both sides of a relay
alone.

The controls were electronic equivalents of a standard bimetallic
thermostat so they had to be retrofittable to an existing circuit and
would not confuse a plumber who was not an electrician.

--
Malc
Pete C

wrote:

IIRC Ford in the USofA had a car, the Pinto, that almost blew up in a
rear end collision, apparently some bolts would tear the fuel tank
apart.

It seemed at the time it was cheaper for Ford not to modify production
but to argue the accident claims.

This was of course before litigation became the business it is today..

Not the only example sadly:

http://www.officerjason.com/
http://www.officerjason.com/activism...203/index.html

Well.... they applied a brain at least, albeit not a heart.

I'd argue they have neither, it's those situations that corporate
manslaughter laws and heavy fines on company profits are needed for.

Another example closer to home:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=railtrack+%22project+destiny%22 +

cheers,
Pete.

Views on Potterton Suprema and Megaflow? Dave UK diy 20 November 14th 05 07:36 PM
Replacing my Potterton EP2000 boiler controller with a Horstmann - wiring question ? JE UK diy 15 July 24th 05 06:25 PM
Potterton Suprima 80 "Lockout" David Longley UK diy 25 April 26th 05 11:49 PM
Potterton overheat steve_m UK diy 5 February 17th 04 04:28 PM
potterton boiler Ronald Walters Home Repair 1 December 12th 03 08:39 PM