Shabs

Default Central Heating System Balancing

I have read about a central heating system being balanced. I recently
removed all radiators to flush the gunge out of them. Whilst doing
this I had to close both sides of the radiator valves. Upon rehanging
the radiators I have opened fully the valve on the opposite side to
the thermostatic valve, ie the water inflow to the radiator. How
should these inflow valves be set as i have radiators over 3 floors
with 2 on the bottom, 4 on the 1st, and 2 on the 2nd. Any advice
greatly appreciated in getting the balance back.
Alistair

Shabs wrote:
I have read about a central heating system being balanced. I recently
removed all radiators to flush the gunge out of them. Whilst doing
this I had to close both sides of the radiator valves. Upon rehanging
the radiators I have opened fully the valve on the opposite side to
the thermostatic valve, ie the water inflow to the radiator. How
should these inflow valves be set as i have radiators over 3 floors
with 2 on the bottom, 4 on the 1st, and 2 on the 2nd. Any advice
greatly appreciated in getting the balance back.

Look at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/pl...html#balancing

Describes the process.

Alistair.
Phil Addison

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:59:00 +0000, Alistair
wrote:

Shabs wrote:
I have read about a central heating system being balanced. I recently
removed all radiators to flush the gunge out of them. Whilst doing
this I had to close both sides of the radiator valves. Upon rehanging
the radiators I have opened fully the valve on the opposite side to
the thermostatic valve, ie the water inflow to the radiator. How
should these inflow valves be set as i have radiators over 3 floors
with 2 on the bottom, 4 on the 1st, and 2 on the 2nd. Any advice
greatly appreciated in getting the balance back.

Look at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/pl...html#balancing

Describes the process.

I think this description is clearer, but then I'm biased.

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/rad-balance.html

--
Phil Addison
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Phil Addison

For an alternative view see http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/rad-balance.html

--
Phil Addison
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Set Square

wrote:

Shabs wrote:
I have read about a central heating system being balanced. I
recently removed all radiators to flush the gunge out of them.
Whilst doing this I had to close both sides of the radiator valves.
Upon rehanging the radiators I have opened fully the valve on the
opposite side to the thermostatic valve, ie the water inflow to the
radiator. How should these inflow valves be set as i have
radiators over 3 floors with 2 on the bottom, 4 on the 1st, and 2
on the 2nd. Any advice greatly appreciated in getting the balance
back.

Look at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/pl...html#balancing

Describes the process.

For an alternative view see
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/rad-balance.html

For future reference, it is a good idea to note the position of each
lockshield valve (by counting the number of turns required to close it) when
turning it off. Then you can restore it to more or less the same position.

I suspect that, even then, a further bit of fine tuning would be required.

When performing the balancing operation, it helps *enormously* to have a
non-contact IR thermometer (costing about 30 quid) - which enables you to
zoom round all the rads and to record the flow and return temperature of
each very quickly. This makes the iterative process (of progressively
restricting the flow to the rads with the lowest temperature drop) much
faster than it would otherwise be.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Phil Addison

wrote:

Shabs wrote:
[...]

Already there. "3. Record initial LSV positions in case you want to return the
system to what it was."

I suspect that, even then, a further bit of fine tuning would be required.

When performing the balancing operation, it helps *enormously* to have a
non-contact IR thermometer (costing about 30 quid) - which enables you to
zoom round all the rads and to record the flow and return temperature of
each very quickly. This makes the iterative process (of progressively
restricting the flow to the rads with the lowest temperature drop) much
faster than it would otherwise be.

Quite so. In fact I added the following to that part of the Balancing FAQ a
few weeks ago :-)

* Since writing the above I have obtained a non-contact (infra-red)
thermometer and this makes the task VERY much easier and quicker. As the
reading from this type of instrument depends on the emissivity of the surface
being measured, the reading will vary slightly depending on whether it is
pointed at a dark copper pipe, chrome fittings or white radiator paint. I
found the easiest way to overcome this was to fix a piece of black PVC tape on
each of the points I wanted to measure. That gave me consistent results which
agreed well with my old thermo-couple thermometer. The instrument I have is a
model IR-88 Pocket InfraRed Thermometer obtained from CPC
http://www.cpc.co.uk/ for £35, part number IN02293.
END QUOTE

--
Phil Addison
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Set Square

wrote:

[...]

snip

Sorry for re-inventing the wheel! I must admit that I didn't read the
updated FAQ before posting.

I tend to assume anyway that people (if they're like me!) will often read
in-line text before (and maybe in preference to) following up external
links.
--
Cheers,
Set Square