Set Square

Default Central Heating System Balancing

Phil Addison wrote:

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:59:00 +0000, Alistair
wrote:

Shabs wrote:
I have read about a central heating system being balanced. I
recently removed all radiators to flush the gunge out of them.
Whilst doing this I had to close both sides of the radiator valves.
Upon rehanging the radiators I have opened fully the valve on the
opposite side to the thermostatic valve, ie the water inflow to the
radiator. How should these inflow valves be set as i have
radiators over 3 floors with 2 on the bottom, 4 on the 1st, and 2
on the 2nd. Any advice greatly appreciated in getting the balance
back.

Look at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/pl...html#balancing

Describes the process.

For an alternative view see
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/rad-balance.html

For future reference, it is a good idea to note the position of each
lockshield valve (by counting the number of turns required to close it) when
turning it off. Then you can restore it to more or less the same position.

I suspect that, even then, a further bit of fine tuning would be required.

When performing the balancing operation, it helps *enormously* to have a
non-contact IR thermometer (costing about 30 quid) - which enables you to
zoom round all the rads and to record the flow and return temperature of
each very quickly. This makes the iterative process (of progressively
restricting the flow to the rads with the lowest temperature drop) much
faster than it would otherwise be.
--
Cheers,
Set Square