Default Holiday UK appliances in USA

Will things like electric shavers, hair dryers etc. from UK work
straight from the mains (using the 2 flat pin adapter) in USA? Does
one need a "step down" transformer / voltage converter?
Martin Warby

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:38:01 +0000, sdr84 wrote:

Will things like electric shavers, hair dryers etc. from UK work straight
from the mains (using the 2 flat pin adapter) in USA? Does one need a
"step down" transformer / voltage converter?

if you were to use a transformer you would need a stepup one US is
110V(ish) and UK is 230V

Martin
nightjar

wrote in message

Will things like electric shavers, hair dryers etc. from UK work
straight from the mains (using the 2 flat pin adapter) in USA? Does
one need a "step down" transformer / voltage converter?

My shaver will work on anything from 12v DC to 240v AC. Others won't, so you
need to check for a plate on the equipment or the bits of paper that came
with it. Hair dryers are unlikely to work without a *step-up* transformer,
unless they have been bought specifically as travel dryers. Again, you need
to check the information in your possession to know.

Colin Bignell

aj

Will things like electric shavers, hair dryers etc. from UK work
straight from the mains (using the 2 flat pin adapter) in USA? Does
one need a "step down" transformer / voltage converter?

With the current exchange rate save yourself some hassle and weight in your
baggage and buy them when you get there - i got a set of hairclippers from
wal-mart for 10USD - about 6 quid now. Not worth carrying mine there for
that. Although I am long past the need for hairdryers i am sure similar
prices apply.If you are stopping in a hotel in my experience hairdriers are
provided in most of the hotel rooms

Jerry.

"Martin Warby" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:38:01 +0000, sdr84 wrote:

Will things like electric shavers, hair dryers etc. from UK work

straight
from the mains (using the 2 flat pin adapter) in USA? Does one need a
"step down" transformer / voltage converter?

if you were to use a transformer you would need a stepup one US is
110V(ish) and UK is 230V

So it would be a step-down (230 110), the OP is travelling FROM the UK to
the USA, read the OP again !

Jerry.

"Jerry." wrote in message

"Martin Warby" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:38:01 +0000, sdr84 wrote:

Will things like electric shavers, hair dryers etc. from UK work

straight
from the mains (using the 2 flat pin adapter) in USA? Does one need a
"step down" transformer / voltage converter?

if you were to use a transformer you would need a stepup one US is
110V(ish) and UK is 230V

So it would be a step-down (230 110), the OP is travelling FROM the UK

the USA, read the OP again !

Opps, I'll do as I suggest, re read the OP- Doh ! :~(((

Christian McArdle

Will things like electric shavers, hair dryers etc. from UK work
straight from the mains (using the 2 flat pin adapter) in USA? Does
one need a "step down" transformer / voltage converter?

It will be FAR cheaper to buy a new 110V hairdryer than to buy equipment to
change the voltage. You'd need a very hefty (expensive and heavy)
transformer to convert that sort of power. The shaver may work straight
away. Check the rating panel to see if the voltage range covers 110V AC
(60Hz). If not, buy a new one in the US.

Christian.

Owain

"Jerry." wrote
| "Martin Warby" wrote
| if you were to use a transformer you would need a stepup one US is
| 110V(ish) and UK is 230V
| So it would be a step-down (230 110), the OP is travelling FROM the UK
| the USA, read the OP again !

No, it would be a step-up, because the US input voltage has to be stepped up
to match the UK appliance.

Owain

Jerry.

"Owain" wrote in message
"Jerry." wrote
| "Martin Warby" wrote
| if you were to use a transformer you would need a stepup one US is
| 110V(ish) and UK is 230V
| So it would be a step-down (230 110), the OP is travelling FROM the UK
| the USA, read the OP again !

No, it would be a step-up, because the US input voltage has to be stepped

up
to match the UK appliance.

Yes, which I realised after pressing the send button - hence my follow up to
my own message ! :~(

Jackie

Default Holiday UK appliances in USA and o/t

Anyone know why the mains frequency is 60hz in USA and 50 hz everywhere
else?

Always wondered about that
Thanks Jackie

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Jackie" writes:
Anyone know why the mains frequency is 60hz in USA and 50 hz everywhere
else?

Try alt.engineering.electrical, but search google first as it's a FAQ.

--
Andrew Gabriel
rrh

"Jackie" wrote in message
Anyone know why the mains frequency is 60hz in USA and 50 hz everywhere
else?

Always wondered about that
Thanks Jackie

Japan: 50Hz in the East and 60Hz in the West, both at 100v. Wacky.