Set Square

Default Holiday UK appliances in USA

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:38:01 +0000,
wrote:

Will things like electric shavers, hair dryers etc. from UK work
straight from the mains (using the 2 flat pin adapter) in USA? Does
one need a "step down" transformer / voltage converter?

I have a similar problem. My digital camera takes rechargeable AA
bateteries which I will need to recharge. The charger has a UK plug
and does not mention 110V. What would be the best option here please?

My digital camera accepts any input between 100 and 250 volts, and 50 or 60
Hz - so I would only need an adaptor.

Any appliance which will only run off 240-250v needs a step *up* transformer
(in addition to adaptors for the pluggery) to convert 110v to 240v. Be aware
also that the mains frequency in USA is 60Hz rather than 50Hz as in UK. Most
things will probably work ok on 60Hz but it is as well to check the spec. or
check with the manufacturer. Anything with a synchronous motor in it will
run 20% faster!
--
Cheers,
Set Square