Bazzer

Default 9 inch party wall with plaster board dry lining.

Hi, only just found this group.
I expect my question has been asked many times in the past but I am stuck.
I am in a semidetached bungalow, it has a 9 inch party wall with plaster
board dry lining.
It is not very sound proof, how would you suggest the best way to cut down
on the music coming through the wall?
I have been told of a heavy type of rubbery flexible sheet type of sound
isolation material.
But this is very expensive and I do not know if it would work.
Any suggestions would be of help, I cannot afford to waste my hard earned
money!
Bazzer

In uk.d-i-y, Bazzer wrote:
Hi, only just found this group.

Welcome to our little corner of virtual paradise ;-)

I expect my question has been asked many times in the past

It has - try the Advanced Search at groups.google.com, restricting
the group to uk.d-i-y and using keywords like "soundproofing".

I have been told of a heavy type of rubbery flexible sheet type of sound
isolation material.

"Heavy" is part of the right answer. While cutting down the higher
frequencies isn't too hard, cutting down the booming (or worse, floor
shaking!) bass is damnably expensive, and challenging; you need all of
(a) a lot of mass/weight, (b) a lack of rigid coupling to next door's
structure, and (c) near-obsessive sealing of air gaps. Nearly always
cheaper to move in the long-term, to rearrange the way you use your
space in the medium term (maybe you can move a bed across the room, or
take to sleeping in a different room if that's the main issue?) and
short-term turn to suitable mixture of headphones, earplugs, and drink for
yourself ;-) Eggboxes are quite useless to cut down on transmitted noise,
in case someone tries to sell you some ;-) And it's easy to get obsessive
about the issue, and find yourself in the region of diminishing returns
(so, the first few hundred quid you spend gets you say 80% reduction; then
the best part of a thousand gets another 70-80% of the remainder, which
is only 14-16% of the original level but you've become used to the lower
level now, and so on and on!).

Sorry not to be more cheerful!

Stefek
Richard

"Bazzer" wrote in message
Hi, only just found this group.
I expect my question has been asked many times in the past but I am stuck.
I am in a semidetached bungalow, it has a 9 inch party wall with plaster
board dry lining.
It is not very sound proof, how would you suggest the best way to cut down
on the music coming through the wall?
I have been told of a heavy type of rubbery flexible sheet type of sound
isolation material.
But this is very expensive and I do not know if it would work.
Any suggestions would be of help, I cannot afford to waste my hard earned
money!
Bazzer

Oh dear! Noisy neighbours !
Can you get to know them and in a friendly way explain the problem? Ask them
if they would like to come round to your place for a listen. Extreme tact
and caution is necessary. It may be best to start by raising the subject the
other way round. If you can ask them in for a coffee or something steer the
conversation round to the party wall and ask if they are disturbed by your
TV or any other sounds that you make. If they don't ask you in return
discretion may be the better part of valour! You could offer to swap some
CDs then you could a least hear their music properly!

Where adequate soundproofing is not part of the original construction it is
hard to achieve afterwards. Remember that it is not just the wall between
the houses but also the unlined dividing wall in the roofspace.

Richard.

Bazzer

[...]

Many thanks for the tips,
The noise is not to bad from next door, I expect I make more noise than
them.
It is just that as there is no noise insulation built into the wall I hoped
I could do something about it.
For most of the time my room is quite so the noise through the wall is very
noticeable.
Bazzer

plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
Concerns over party wall and chimney breast Phöènix UK diy 3 December 31st 03 06:59 PM
dot and dab insulated plaster board on solid wall - ok? Niel A. Farrow UK diy 4 October 14th 03 02:24 PM
Advice on smoothing plaster wall Fraser UK diy 15 October 13th 03 11:37 AM
(another variation on) soundproofing party wall DP UK diy 0 August 14th 03 09:20 AM