VisionSet

Default Space, stair & velux siteing regulations

I'm hopeing to insert a new floor above my stairwell, which will require a
new staircase.

Presently this is coming in at a steep 9 * 7.5" rises over a total 26"
horizontal, this is a little flexible but that isn't far off the lowest
gradient I can manage. What are the rules governing these measurements?

The space of the mezzanine itself fits in a lowered loft space, and will be
approx ~6' high at the apex going down to ~3' at the eaves.
Are there any regulations as to space requirements? Use is occasional
bedroom.

I was hopeing to put a velux in the roof, but am unsure how planning
permission may be affected by this, it can go on either aspect, but the
preferred one will overlook other properties and there is no way to get it
high enough to prevent this (6' max height of space). If it goes on the
other aspect, I just see next doors roof. I don't expect planning is
required other than for this reason, if at all. I think I can get a letter
from the Council saying "You don't need planning permission", if indeed I
don't.

--
Mike W

Peter Crosland

The first thing you need to look at is the building regulations because
regardless of any planning permission requirement you will need approval
from the building control section of your local council. Before you do
anything else go and talk to them because it may save you a lot of wasted
time and money.

VisionSet

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
The first thing you need to look at is the building regulations because
regardless of any planning permission requirement you will need approval
from the building control section of your local council. Before you do
anything else go and talk to them because it may save you a lot of wasted
time and money.

Yes my question was intended to encompass building regulations and thus
possibly save me even more time.

General knowledge of these regulations, input required.

Common sense, plenty of, not required.

--
Mike W

John Rumm

VisionSet wrote:

Presently this is coming in at a steep 9 * 7.5" rises over a total 26"
horizontal, this is a little flexible but that isn't far off the lowest
gradient I can manage. What are the rules governing these measurements?

That sounds more like a ladder than a staircase! To meet building regs
the maximum inclination of the stair should be 42 degrees. Max rise per
step of 220mm and minimum going per tread of 220mm. Note that you can't
have the max rise and min going in use at the same time.

More details he-

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...hcst?n=240&l=2

or

http://tinyurl.com/qjn7

Look at Part K. Note that the rules can be relaxed in some cases for
loft conversions.

The space of the mezzanine itself fits in a lowered loft space, and will be
approx ~6' high at the apex going down to ~3' at the eaves.
Are there any regulations as to space requirements? Use is occasional
bedroom.

Don't think there is a minimum height requirement for the room itself.
There is one for the headroom over a staircase though. (at least 1.9m in
the centre of the treads)

I was hopeing to put a velux in the roof, but am unsure how planning
permission may be affected by this, it can go on either aspect, but the

As long as you are not in a conservation area or own a listed building
then PP is highly unlikely to be required for a velux - even if facing
the highway.

--
Cheers,

John.

Peter Crosland

Yes my question was intended to encompass building regulations and thus
possibly save me even more time.

General knowledge of these regulations, input required.

Common sense, plenty of, not required.

All very well Mike but many are lacking this vital item! I still say go and
talk to them because there are all sorts of factors. Without a detailed
knowledge of your property it is not possible to give a detailed answer.

Christian McArdle

Presently this is coming in at a steep 9 * 7.5" rises over a total 26"
horizontal, this is a little flexible but that isn't far off the lowest
gradient I can manage. What are the rules governing these measurements?

Consider using a spiral staircase. You haven't a hope in hell of getting
such a steep straight step approved.

Christian.

N. Thornton

John Rumm wrote in message ...

That sounds more like a ladder than a staircase! To meet building regs
the maximum inclination of the stair should be 42 degrees. Max rise per
step of 220mm and minimum going per tread of 220mm. Note that you can't
have the max rise and min going in use at the same time.

More details he-

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...hcst?n=240&l=2

What is the minimum permitted stair width for such things? I did
follow the link but got pretty lost!

NT
John Rumm

N. Thornton wrote:

What is the minimum permitted stair width for such things? I did
follow the link but got pretty lost!

A more specific link:

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...reg_600500.pdf

Page 6 in the PDF is the start of the section on stairs, page 7 talks
about width requirements. The basic gist is there are no explicit width
requirements for a domestic stair as a result of this part of the regs.
However they may be if the stair is a means of escape, when the fire
regs might kick in, or, if the stair is providing access for disabled
people. In which case consult documents B for the former and M for the
latter.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Christian McArdle wrote:

Consider using a spiral staircase. You haven't a hope in hell of getting
such a steep straight step approved.

There may be cases where a fixed ladder is acceptable... you would have
to ask the BCO though.

--
Cheers,

John.

G&M

"VisionSet" wrote in message
I'm hopeing to insert a new floor above my stairwell, which will require a
new staircase.

Presently this is coming in at a steep 9 * 7.5" rises over a total 26"
horizontal, this is a little flexible but that isn't far off the lowest
gradient I can manage. What are the rules governing these measurements?

Failed - max of 42 degrees - i.e goings risers
See the K regs part 1 on the ODPM website

The space of the mezzanine itself fits in a lowered loft space, and will

be
approx ~6' high at the apex going down to ~3' at the eaves.
Are there any regulations as to space requirements? Use is occasional
bedroom.

Again not legal. 2m is normal but for lofts 1m90 reducing to 1m80 at the
sides is the minimum.

I was hopeing to put a velux in the roof, but am unsure how planning
permission may be affected by this, it can go on either aspect, but the
preferred one will overlook other properties and there is no way to get it
high enough to prevent this (6' max height of space).

If it is only 6' max height I don't think you can call it a bedroom
officially anyway. Not sure where I read that though.

If it goes on the
other aspect, I just see next doors roof. I don't expect planning is
required other than for this reason, if at all. I think I can get a

letter
from the Council saying "You don't need planning permission", if indeed I
don't.

Check your council's web site. Some requite permission for roof windows,
some don't.

G&M

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Christian McArdle wrote:

Consider using a spiral staircase. You haven't a hope in hell of getting
such a steep straight step approved.

There may be cases where a fixed ladder is acceptable

Not when it's a bedroom. Look at alternating tread stairs provided your BCO
to allow them.

VisionSet

"G&M" wrote in message

"VisionSet" wrote in message
I'm hopeing to insert a new floor above my stairwell, which will require

new staircase.

Presently this is coming in at a steep 9 * 7.5" rises over a total 26"
horizontal, this is a little flexible but that isn't far off the lowest
gradient I can manage. What are the rules governing these measurements?

Failed - max of 42 degrees - i.e goings risers
See the K regs part 1 on the ODPM website

Not suprised. Alternatives, research, I will.

The space of the mezzanine itself fits in a lowered loft space, and will

be
approx ~6' high at the apex going down to ~3' at the eaves.
Are there any regulations as to space requirements? Use is occasional
bedroom.

Again not legal. 2m is normal but for lofts 1m90 reducing to 1m80 at the
sides is the minimum.

Thats a bit mean!

I was hopeing to put a velux in the roof, but am unsure how planning
permission may be affected by this, it can go on either aspect, but the
preferred one will overlook other properties and there is no way to get

it
high enough to prevent this (6' max height of space).

If it is only 6' max height I don't think you can call it a bedroom
officially anyway. Not sure where I read that though.

Don't care what it is called officially, it's really a mezzanine, I know an
estate agent couldn't call it a bedroom, though the 6' figure you recollect
is for horizonatal bed fitting and can't be under that for official bedroom
status.

mmm, not looking good though is it ;-(

N. Thornton

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message .net...
VisionSet ) wrote:

Presently this is coming in at a steep 9 * 7.5" rises over a total 26"
horizontal, this is a little flexible but that isn't far off the lowest
gradient I can manage. What are the rules governing these measurements?

Ang on, that makes the going on each step just 3" You'll be telling
us you've got 4' of headroom next!

You haven't a hope in hell of getting such a steep straight step approved.

quite

Regards, NT
N. Thornton

John Rumm wrote in message ...
N. Thornton wrote:

What is the minimum permitted stair width for such things? I did
follow the link but got pretty lost!

A more specific link:

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...reg_600500.pdf

Page 6 in the PDF is the start of the section on stairs, page 7 talks
about width requirements. The basic gist is there are no explicit width
requirements for a domestic stair as a result of this part of the regs.
However they may be if the stair is a means of escape, when the fire
regs might kick in, or, if the stair is providing access for disabled
people. In which case consult documents B for the former and M for the
latter.

I give up. These documents are as clear as a 10 acre mudfarm. I'm
thinking of a loft room with 2 exits: the stair and a roof opening
window.

Thanks, NT