Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

Default Lightweight Roof

I am now at the stage where I want to weather proof my observatory roof. Its
an octagon pyramid and I need to keep it as light as possible. Its made of
6mm exterior ply and I am looking for off the shelf suggestions to
weatherproof it. I don't want to use varnish.

I have been wondering if I could use some kind of bitumen paint with the
fibres in, not sure what its called but its used to coat or mend flat roofs.

Any suggestions please
Thanks
Steve

--
The UK SpeedTrap Guide" @ www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk
The UK Weather Guide" @ www.ukstorms.com

Robert Williams

Hi there Steve,

Bituminous Paint can be 'good' but it needs a lot of preparation
and 'good weather' whilst it cures to get it 'right'. It is also really
messy to
put on and, if windy, is a nightmare to keep off other things as it is quite
'thin'.

You might be better to try a 2-pack epoxy based paint (similar to
that used on Boat Hulls), if you are likely to encounter any severe weather
on you Observatory roof.

My local Observatory has used 'GlassGuard' brand paint and it lasts for many
years.

This is a 2-pack epoxy paint ('brilliant white') with glass fibres, which
are designed to reflect heat/light.

The last time we did our Observatory was around 10 years ago and it's still
going strong.

One word of caution - it is very expensive (around £100 for a set of 5L tins
which will cover
about 20 square meters of roof). Once mixed the paint takes about 6 hours to
'go off'.
You will have to sacrifice a few paint brushes as well as the paint doesn't
easily clean off your brushes!

It will keep as separate base and hardener for many years, just don't
contaminate one tin with the other
else you will end up with a tin of very solid paint.

Robert

"Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote in message
I am now at the stage where I want to weather proof my observatory roof.
Its
an octagon pyramid and I need to keep it as light as possible. Its made of
6mm exterior ply and I am looking for off the shelf suggestions to
weatherproof it. I don't want to use varnish.

I have been wondering if I could use some kind of bitumen paint with the
fibres in, not sure what its called but its used to coat or mend flat
roofs.

Any suggestions please
Thanks
Steve

--
The UK SpeedTrap Guide" @ www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk
The UK Weather Guide" @ www.ukstorms.com

Maurice Gavin

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:48:37 +0000 (UTC), "Steve -
www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote:

I am now at the stage where I want to weather proof my observatory roof. Its
an octagon pyramid and I need to keep it as light as possible. Its made of
6mm exterior ply and I am looking for off the shelf suggestions to
weatherproof it. I don't want to use varnish.

I have been wondering if I could use some kind of bitumen paint with the
fibres in, not sure what its called but its used to coat or mend flat roofs.

Steve

Ron Johnson's ply dome that I designed at
http://home.freeuk.net/m.gavin/rondome.htm
is 'weathered' with flexible epoxy paint and after two years is still
perfect. It's much lighter than old fashioned bitumen.

"Maurice Gavin" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:48:37 +0000 (UTC), "Steve -
www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote:

I am now at the stage where I want to weather proof my observatory roof.

Its
an octagon pyramid and I need to keep it as light as possible. Its made

of
6mm exterior ply and I am looking for off the shelf suggestions to
weatherproof it. I don't want to use varnish.

I have been wondering if I could use some kind of bitumen paint with the
fibres in, not sure what its called but its used to coat or mend flat

roofs.

Steve

Ron Johnson's ply dome that I designed at
http://home.freeuk.net/m.gavin/rondome.htm
is 'weathered' with flexible epoxy paint and after two years is still
perfect. It's much lighter than old fashioned bitumen.

I going to visit a chandlers next week and see what they offer.. I may take
my camping chair as well so I can sit down just before they quote the price.
Thanks
Steve

The UK SpeedTrap Guide" @ www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk
The UK Weather Guide" @ www.ukstorms.com

I hate spam

There is a " spray on " expanded PU foam which is insulating and water proof
( provided the skin is not broken ) Good for winter.

In Malaysia, we buy a corrugated zinc sheet which has this foam already
applied. It's sound proof, weather proof and keeps cool.

Another alternative is to stick on sheet foam onto the plywood. Seal the
seams with duct tape. Expanded polystyrene foam is cheap and good but will
break and tear from itchy fingers of kids. Large sheets of bubble wrap also
works well. Stick to plywood with contact adhesive or for expanded
polystyrene a non solvent glue.

Do not use bitumen.....you'll regret it. Epoxy is good adhesive and
waterproofing but so is normal paint ! Epoxy will cost 10 x more.

Have fun.

Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

Thanks to all that offered suggestions, Special paint, .. close to £130 for
a tin without primer.

Local glass fibre Co. came up trumps though, after a home visit to take a
look and make suggestions he came up with £100 for all the matting and
materials I need, and the guy even offered to visit when I was doing it to
lend a had if needed for a few beers... I get him a crate and maybe he will
let me take a back seat.

So glass fibre it is..

Thanks
Steve

Rick Dipper

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:48:37 +0000 (UTC), "Steve -
www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk" wrote:

I am now at the stage where I want to weather proof my observatory roof. Its
an octagon pyramid and I need to keep it as light as possible. Its made of
6mm exterior ply and I am looking for off the shelf suggestions to
weatherproof it. I don't want to use varnish.

I have been wondering if I could use some kind of bitumen paint with the
fibres in, not sure what its called but its used to coat or mend flat roofs.

Any suggestions please
Thanks
Steve

Proofex 3000.

Or Fibreglass, I woulf fibreglass.

Rick

Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 05:16 PM
Anyone want some heart pine roof decking? woodyq Woodworking 1 March 29th 04 11:25 PM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 10:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM