Dave Plowman (News)

Default Odd BT socket

I'd like a panel mounting as small and neat a BT socket as possible. Slave
type, not that it matters. Plenty of frame ones at RS etc, but none
apparently exactly what I need. I'd like one just slightly larger than the
socket itself that clips into a cut out. Or some suggestions. ;-) The
panel will have a printed 'cover' panel, so fixing screws etc could be
concealed.

--
*When you've seen one shopping centre you've seen a mall.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Ash

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I'd like a panel mounting as small and neat a BT socket as possible. Slave
type, not that it matters. Plenty of frame ones at RS etc, but none
apparently exactly what I need. I'd like one just slightly larger than the
socket itself that clips into a cut out. Or some suggestions. ;-) The
panel will have a printed 'cover' panel, so fixing screws etc could be
concealed.

MK might do something in their modular system.

Ash

Andy Hall

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:15:32 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I'd like a panel mounting as small and neat a BT socket as possible. Slave
type, not that it matters. Plenty of frame ones at RS etc, but none
apparently exactly what I need. I'd like one just slightly larger than the
socket itself that clips into a cut out. Or some suggestions. ;-) The
panel will have a printed 'cover' panel, so fixing screws etc could be
concealed.

What about one of the Euro modular ones. MK have these and RS have
a variety of makes. If you were to engineer the cutout, they just
click into place.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
What about one of the Euro modular ones. MK have these and RS have a
variety of makes. If you were to engineer the cutout, they just click
into place.

I've got these round the house, but they're a bit bigger than I'd like.
Looking at one, it would be difficult to surface mount it, and making the
holes for them to be flush and the fixing for this quite a bit of work.
But it's an option if all else fails.

I've got a rectangular Q-Max which would do for the plug only, so I might
try just glueing a frame one on the back.

--
*Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
G&M

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I'd like a panel mounting as small and neat a BT socket as possible. Slave
type, not that it matters. Plenty of frame ones at RS etc, but none
apparently exactly what I need. I'd like one just slightly larger than the
socket itself that clips into a cut out. Or some suggestions. ;-) The
panel will have a printed 'cover' panel, so fixing screws etc could be
concealed.

You can buy in-line female to female joiners for extending a run using two
cables. These will unclip from each other giving probably the smallest
female socket you can get and I've filed then glued these onto numerous
surfaces. You'll need to joint the wires behind it somehow though.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
G&M wrote:
You can buy in-line female to female joiners for extending a run using
two cables. These will unclip from each other giving probably the
smallest female socket you can get and I've filed then glued these onto
numerous surfaces. You'll need to joint the wires behind it somehow
though.

Thanks - that sounds like it will look ok.

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:15:32 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'd like a panel mounting as small and neat a BT socket as possible.

Does it have to be BT? Neutrik do RJ45 in the new standard square
fitting.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Plowman (News)

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
I'd like a panel mounting as small and neat a BT socket as possible.

Does it have to be BT? Neutrik do RJ45 in the new standard square
fitting.

Yes - it's to plug standard phones into. It's a telephone ringer for
studio use.

Now a Neutric BT socket would have been perfect - it would match the XLRs
on the same panel.

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Hall

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 01:02:02 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
I'd like a panel mounting as small and neat a BT socket as possible.

Does it have to be BT? Neutrik do RJ45 in the new standard square
fitting.

Yes - it's to plug standard phones into. It's a telephone ringer for
studio use.

Now a Neutric BT socket would have been perfect - it would match the XLRs
on the same panel.

Why not change the leads on the phones to an RJ-11 to RJ-45 type?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Yes - it's to plug standard phones into. It's a telephone ringer for
studio use.

Now a Neutric BT socket would have been perfect - it would match the
XLRs on the same panel.

Why not change the leads on the phones to an RJ-11 to RJ-45 type?

The idea is to ring any standard phone that may be used 'in shot' in a TV
studio. To have to change the plugs on those would be a no-no.

To clarify, there is room on the panel for a standard small size flush BT
outlet. I just want something that looks better. ;-)

--
*Gargling is a good way to see if your throat leaks.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 01:27:44 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Yes - it's to plug standard phones into. It's a telephone ringer for
studio use.

Now a Neutric BT socket would have been perfect - it would match the
XLRs on the same panel.

Why not change the leads on the phones to an RJ-11 to RJ-45 type?

The idea is to ring any standard phone that may be used 'in shot' in a TV
studio. To have to change the plugs on those would be a no-no.

OK...... I meant the whole lead though. Usually the RJ-11 is
underneath the phone so wouldn't be seen, and then the RJ-45 would be
in the desk. Or am I missing something?

To clarify, there is room on the panel for a standard small size flush BT
outlet. I just want something that looks better. ;-)

OK..... Would you want 75Vrms near low level audio stuff, or is it
balanced and immune enough?
..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Ric

Andy Hall wrote:
Yes - it's to plug standard phones into. It's a telephone ringer for
studio use.

Now a Neutric BT socket would have been perfect - it would match the
XLRs on the same panel.

Why not change the leads on the phones to an RJ-11 to RJ-45 type?

The idea is to ring any standard phone that may be used 'in shot' in a TV
studio. To have to change the plugs on those would be a no-no.

You can get RJ45 - BT adaptors.

http://www.videkonline.co.uk/home.as...4&SectionID=38