enquirer

Default Damp through floor

Hi

I have removed vinyl tiles laid in 1970's to an 1850's house. I have
discovered a floor screed of about 2 inches, on top of an existing quarry
tile floor. I only discovered this because at one point, damp had
penetrated and destroyed this screed, at the edge of a wall. The area in
question is about 6 inches by 2 inches and 2 inches deep.. Can anybody
suggest anything that I can use to fill this void, that will stop the damp
penetrating the new quarry tile that I am about to lay.?

Many thanks.

--
Enquirer

Rick Dipper

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:07:48 GMT, "enquirer"
wrote:

Hi

I have removed vinyl tiles laid in 1970's to an 1850's house. I have
discovered a floor screed of about 2 inches, on top of an existing quarry
tile floor. I only discovered this because at one point, damp had
penetrated and destroyed this screed, at the edge of a wall. The area in
question is about 6 inches by 2 inches and 2 inches deep.. Can anybody
suggest anything that I can use to fill this void, that will stop the damp
penetrating the new quarry tile that I am about to lay.?

Many thanks.

I would guess the first job is to get a damp meter and work out if the
whole floor is damp, suggesting no DPM/DPC or if its just one small
patch.

Rick

G&M

"enquirer" wrote in message
news
Hi

I have removed vinyl tiles laid in 1970's to an 1850's house. I have
discovered a floor screed of about 2 inches, on top of an existing quarry
tile floor. I only discovered this because at one point, damp had
penetrated and destroyed this screed, at the edge of a wall. The area in
question is about 6 inches by 2 inches and 2 inches deep.. Can anybody
suggest anything that I can use to fill this void, that will stop the damp
penetrating the new quarry tile that I am about to lay.?

Probably the wrong solution as it will fail again in due course and also
push damp into the walls. The floor will have no DPC and the screed was a
common attempt to hold back the damp in the 60s/70s. The better solution is
to remove the screed and live with the quarry tile floor which will allow
moisture to evaporate through it, or if this is not your cup of tea, then
lift the tiles as well (and sell them !) and install a raised floor (only an
inch or two) with the area underneath ventilated with a fan to the outside.