[ice]

Default Guttering/Soffits Work

My 1st floor masonette is fitted with asbestos halfpipe guttering on
the front and rear which is is in dire need of cleaning inside and
out. Also the soffits (wooden panels) have become rotten and loose in
places. On the rear there are birds nesting in one of the cracks
between the panels.

I have had quotes from various contractors and I am thinking of
settling on a CORC (www.corc.co.uk) approved contractor who will
charge me £640 for installation of uPVC halfpipes and sanding down &
repainting and repair of the soffits. This is the cheapest quote I
have had from the 3 quotes I have had. All are from trades guild
members.

The questions I have a

- his work is garunteed for 12 months - is this acceptable? I have
been told that 5 or even 15yrs should me a minimum for guttering. I
would have thought 12 months would expose the work to all the years
seasons and the upvc manufacturer garuntee may be seperate. I've also
been recommended to use double-glazing companies as they generally
have much more experience and a longer garuntee.

- i am in no rush to get the guttering & soffits fixed - would it be
best to wait until summer? is there a best time?

Any advice much appreciated
Michael McNeil

"[ice]" wrote in message
om

- his work is guaranteed for 12 months - is this acceptable? I have
been told that 5 or even 15yrs should me a minimum for guttering. I
would have thought 12 months would expose the work to all the years
seasons and the upvc manufacturer guarantee may be seperate. I've also
been recommended to use double-glazing companies as they generally
have much more experience and a longer guarantee.

- I am in no rush to get the guttering & soffits fixed - would it be
best to wait until summer? is there a best time?

What the hell are you expecting for that price? If he guarantees it for
15 years he'll have to come back to it at any time until then for
nothing and replace any defect at his own expense. He'd be hoping a lot
besides which, the stuff likely to go wrong in 1 year due to faulty work
or parts isn't likely to differ much to what will be his fault if it
fails over a decade later.

As for waiting until summer, the birds will be nesting from any time on
now. Try not to be too much of a prick in future.

David Hearn

Michael McNeil wrote:
"[ice]" wrote in message
om

- his work is guaranteed for 12 months - is this acceptable? I have
been told that 5 or even 15yrs should me a minimum for guttering. I
would have thought 12 months would expose the work to all the years
seasons and the upvc manufacturer guarantee may be seperate. I've
also been recommended to use double-glazing companies as they
generally have much more experience and a longer guarantee.

- I am in no rush to get the guttering & soffits fixed - would it be
best to wait until summer? is there a best time?

What the hell are you expecting for that price? If he guarantees it
for 15 years he'll have to come back to it at any time until then for
nothing and replace any defect at his own expense. He'd be hoping a
lot besides which, the stuff likely to go wrong in 1 year due to
faulty work or parts isn't likely to differ much to what will be his
fault if it fails over a decade later.

As for waiting until summer, the birds will be nesting from any time
on now. Try not to be too much of a prick in future.

Try to ignore this person - he obviously has no people-skills.

The points he makes though are valid - for the price you've been quoted
expecting 15 year guarantee is probably unlikely. However, as you point
out, a year should show most of the variations in weather and problems
likely to be highlighted. I doubt there to be any problem with the material
used - so the problems are likely to come about with the installation -
which should show itself within the year.

Hope that helps

David