Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Driving Licence

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

At the lower edge front and at the rear of my photo licence, it lists
the vehicles I am qualified to drive, in capital letters, on the front
after the capital letters, it lists several more in lower case.
Likewise, on the rear, it lists those same lowercase letters f/k/l/n/p/q

What are they?

https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2021 04:12 pm, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

At the lower edge front and at the rear of my photo licence, it lists
the vehicles I am qualified to drive, in capital letters, on the front
after the capital letters, it lists several more in lower case.
Likewise, on the rear, it lists those same lowercase letters f/k/l/n/p/q

What are they?

Ford
Kia
Lancia
Nissan
Porsche
Quoros

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Andy Burns formulated :
https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories

Thanks, I was just checking I was still good to 7000Kg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 15:10:58 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
At the lower edge front and at the rear of my photo licence, it lists
the vehicles I am qualified to drive, in capital letters, on the front
after the capital letters, it lists several more in lower case.
Likewise, on the rear, it lists those same lowercase letters
f/k/l/n/p/q

What are they?

https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories

That just tells you they haven't changed. The definitions are he
https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

f Agricultural tractor
k Mowing machine or pedestrian-controlled vehicle
l Electrically-propelled vehicle
n Exempt from duty

Interestingly, "l" appears to include any electric vehicle, with no limit
on weight or number of seats. So it seems you could drive an electric HGV
or bus quite legally (for fun - there's other requirements would stop you
doing it commercially).

P and Q are pre-EU moped categories (and mostly overlap with AM):

Category P

You can drive 2-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 45km/
h (28mph) but not more than 50km/h (31mph). Its engine size must not be
more than 50cc if powered by an internal combustion engine.

Category Q

You can drive 2-wheeled and 3-wheeled vehicles without pedals with an
engine size not more than 50cc if powered by an internal combustion
engine a maximum design speed of no more than 25km/h (15.5mph)
This category also includes trial e-scooters.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2021 16:17, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
It happens that Andy Burns formulated :
https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories

Thanks, I was just checking I was still good to 7000Kg

It's always worth checking. I know I can drive 7.5 tonners, but my
(paper) licence stated 7.5T, plus a trailer, up to a total of 12T and
did not state any other limitations.

When it was replaced with a photo licence, an extra code had appeared,
limiting me to a combination of 8.25T - not that I am likely to need
even that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It happens that Andy Burns formulated :

https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories

Thanks, I was just checking I was still good to 7000Kg

You might lose that at a certain age ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It happens that Andy Burns formulated :

https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories

Thanks, I was just checking I was still good to 7000Kg

You might lose that at a certain age ...

From age 70 onwards you have to pass a (proper) medical to continue to
keep 7.5 tonne entitlement on your licence. It's the same (I think)
as HGV drivers have to pass.

I've done it twice now. It checks basic health and fitness to drive
plus quite a lot of sight tests for acuity and peripheral vision etc.

--
Chris Green
·

Driving Licence jon UK diy 51 March 24th 21 04:52 PM
Driving Licence {Was: Energy bills for the elderly?} tim..... UK diy 0 November 10th 12 07:57 PM
Printing the licence Father Kylesmas UK diy 6 January 20th 07 05:02 PM
Screwfix Descriptive Licence ..? Stuart UK diy 4 March 29th 06 11:16 AM
"Do I need a TV licence" a solution ? T i m UK diy 9 January 27th 05 10:04 PM