Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Humphrey[_2_] Mike Humphrey[_2_] is offline

Default Driving Licence

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 15:10:58 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
At the lower edge front and at the rear of my photo licence, it lists
the vehicles I am qualified to drive, in capital letters, on the front
after the capital letters, it lists several more in lower case.
Likewise, on the rear, it lists those same lowercase letters
f/k/l/n/p/q

What are they?

https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories

That just tells you they haven't changed. The definitions are he
https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

f Agricultural tractor
k Mowing machine or pedestrian-controlled vehicle
l Electrically-propelled vehicle
n Exempt from duty

Interestingly, "l" appears to include any electric vehicle, with no limit
on weight or number of seats. So it seems you could drive an electric HGV
or bus quite legally (for fun - there's other requirements would stop you
doing it commercially).

P and Q are pre-EU moped categories (and mostly overlap with AM):

Category P

You can drive 2-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 45km/
h (28mph) but not more than 50km/h (31mph). Its engine size must not be
more than 50cc if powered by an internal combustion engine.

Category Q

You can drive 2-wheeled and 3-wheeled vehicles without pedals with an
engine size not more than 50cc if powered by an internal combustion
engine a maximum design speed of no more than 25km/h (15.5mph)
This category also includes trial e-scooters.

Mike