Old June 15th 21, 12:13 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Back boxes for plasterboard walls

I think I'm going mad!
Am I correct in saying that a dry lining back box does not need to be
screwed to a stud or noggin? Screwing only applies if fitting a steel
box in this location.

Old June 15th 21, 08:47 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2021 23:13, Grumps wrote:
I think I'm going mad!
Am I correct in saying that a dry lining back box does not need to be
screwed to a stud or noggin? Screwing only applies if fitting a steel
box in this location.

do they not just clip in?...what's the problem with that? ..
Old June 15th 21, 09:05 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2021 07:47, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 14/06/2021 23:13, Grumps wrote:
I think I'm going mad!
Am I correct in saying that a dry lining back box does not need to be
screwed to a stud or noggin? Screwing only applies if fitting a steel
box in this location.

do they not just clip in?...what's the problem with that? ..

....and it is not a noggin it is a dwang...and it is not a jab it is a
jag ...tee hee
Old June 15th 21, 09:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

There really are some terrible examples around of what folk do to secure
boxes. Around the back from me some cheap throw uphouses with plasterboard
walls seem to have the back boxes for switches secured by what look like
staples through the back through some holes. Quite what these hold onto is a
bit of a mystery.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old June 15th 21, 12:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2021 09:01, Owain Lastname wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 June 2021 at 08:05:14 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
...and it is not a noggin it is a dwang...and it is not a jab it is a
jag ...tee hee

it's not a willy it's a boaby

Owain

totly
Old June 15th 21, 01:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2021 23:13, Grumps wrote:

I think I'm going mad!
Am I correct in saying that a dry lining back box does not need to be
screwed to a stud or noggin? Screwing only applies if fitting a steel
box in this location.

Yup a dry lining box has a clamp attached to the screws that go through
the face plate, that pulls the box tight to the plasterboard (the lip on
the edge of the box, stops it being pulled through the hole in the wall).

The better boxes have a kind of ratchet action that keeps the clamp
locked in place even if you undo the screws later.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old June 15th 21, 02:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

r.

Old June 15th 21, 02:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 11:13:33 PM UTC+1, Grumps wrote:
I think I'm going mad!
Am I correct in saying that a dry lining back box does not need to be
screwed to a stud or noggin? Screwing only applies if fitting a steel
box in this location.

I think most electricians prefer the metal box on a noggin especially if on first fix they have access to the stud work only using dry lining boxes when an additional socket is mounted in an existing wall. The main reason I am told is that the front lip of the dry line box is often visible especially when using some of the decorative outlets.

I have seen an example of an electrician fixing a metal box to an existing studded wall by glueing a suitable spacer piece to the other PB back then screwing the box to the spacer.

Richard