Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Back boxes for plasterboard walls

On 15/06/2021 13:46, Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 11:13:33 PM UTC+1, Grumps wrote:
I think I'm going mad!
Am I correct in saying that a dry lining back box does not need to be
screwed to a stud or noggin? Screwing only applies if fitting a steel
box in this location.

I think most electricians prefer the metal box on a noggin especially if on first fix they have access to the stud work only using dry lining boxes when an additional socket is mounted in an existing wall. The main reason I am told is that the front lip of the dry line box is often visible especially when using some of the decorative outlets.

It should not be visible if the dry liner is fitted before the wall is
skimmed.

But yes I am a noggin and metal backbox man.

--
Adam