Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Back boxes for plasterboard walls

On 15/06/2021 13:46, Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 11:13:33 PM UTC+1, Grumps wrote:
I think I'm going mad! Am I correct in saying that a dry lining
back box does not need to be screwed to a stud or noggin? Screwing
only applies if fitting a steel box in this location.

I think most electricians prefer the metal box on a noggin especially
if on first fix they have access to the stud work only using dry
lining boxes when an additional socket is mounted in an existing
wall. The main reason I am told is that the front lip of the dry
line box is often visible especially when using some of the
decorative outlets.

I have seen an example of an electrician fixing a metal box to an
existing studded wall by glueing a suitable spacer piece to the other
PB back then screwing the box to the spacer.

Yup that works well IME - also gives you a fireproof and earthed back
box which can matter in some cases.

--
Cheers,

John.