UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default Apologies...

....for writing a "test" post.

My SMTP settings are proving elusive - working in some NGs and
resolutely not in others.
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,829
Default Apologies...

JNugent wrote:

My SMTP settings are proving elusive


What's SMTP got to do with a non-moderated group?
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default Apologies...

On 06/06/2021 02:45 pm, Andy Burns wrote:

JNugent wrote:

My SMTP settings are proving elusive


What's SMTP got to do with a non-moderated group?


That's SMTP as in the return path on a usenet account.

Every account I have on this PC has reset itself over the last few days
and passwords, etc, have had to be re-submitted.

News.individual.net's SMTP setting are always a problem when this
happens. I needed to experiment.

At least, staying on topic, I did it myself.

  #4   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 870
Default Apologies...

JNugent wrote:
On 06/06/2021 02:45 pm, Andy Burns wrote:

JNugent wrote:

My SMTP settings are proving elusive


What's SMTP got to do with a non-moderated group?


That's SMTP as in the return path on a usenet account.

Every account I have on this PC has reset itself over the last few days
and passwords, etc, have had to be re-submitted.

News.individual.net's SMTP setting are always a problem when this
happens. I needed to experiment.

At least, staying on topic, I did it myself.


USENET uses nothing but NNTP protocol.

SMTP is not involved. SMTP stands
for "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol" and is
an email technology.

USENET activity can be spoofed with a telnet
session to Port 119

telnet news.individual.net 119

and then, how could SMTP possibly be involved ???

Sample article. Demonstrating some commands.

https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-7...ss-news-server

OK, you tried that, and it didn't work and funny
things happened. Well, the problem is, NNTP servers
today, use "fast" connections and the connection is
dropped, practically as soon as the user stops providing
input. You have to work at "machine speed" to keep a connection.
By implementing this in INN, you can handle about
10X as many customers. But you also ruin the joys
of exercising NNTP protocol over Telnet or Stelnet.

We'll have to be content with this then, as a proof of concept.

https://i.postimg.cc/L6hpTJgq/no-SMTP.gif

Paul
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Apologies...


"JNugent" wrote in message
...
...for writing a "test" post.

My SMTP settings are proving elusive - working in some NGs and resolutely not in
others.


There are plenty of test newsgroups on most servers for this very purpose.
atl.test is one

Meanwhile this may prove of interest (rejected on ULM)

Are you sure that for some reason your NewsReader isn't truncating posts ?

"JNugent" wrote in message
...
On 05/06/2021 02:02 pm, Jon Ribbens wrote:
On 2021-06-04, JNugent wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 00:48:42 +0100, JNugent
wrote:
The leader of the Labour Party is not warranted any respect.

I did not write that.


I'm afraid you have a forger who's paying impressively close attention
to detail when pretending to be you then.


I did not write it.

It doesn't even make any sense.


In the *orignal* post you claim not to have written, you wrote
*three* lines in all.

Which taken together *do* make sense.

quote

"JNugent" wrote in message
...

The leader of the Labour Party is not warranted any respect.

Thank you.

I'll pass that on.


/quote


If not strictly in accordance with what one might expect you to post
in respect of the Labour Party.

I suggest you check again. Because accusations of forgery. even when totally
unwarranted as in this case, can undermine trust in the Group.

.....








  #6   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default Apologies...

On 06/06/2021 04:39 pm, Paul wrote:
JNugent wrote:
On 06/06/2021 02:45 pm, Andy Burns wrote:

JNugent wrote:

My SMTP settings are proving elusive

What's SMTP got to do with a non-moderated group?


That's SMTP as in the return path on a usenet account.

Every account I have on this PC has reset itself over the last few
days and passwords, etc, have had to be re-submitted.

News.individual.net's SMTP setting are always a problem when this
happens. I needed to experiment.

At least, staying on topic, I did it myself.


USENET uses nothing but NNTP protocol.

SMTP is not involved. SMTP stands
for "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol" and is
an email technology.

USENET activity can be spoofed with a telnet
session to Port 119

┬*┬* telnet news.individual.net 119

and then, how could SMTP possibly be involved ???


It's what I was instructed to do by the FAQ at the news.individual.net
website.

The default setting had a default setting to the email server at my ISP.
But changing it to news.individual.net allowed me to post to usenet again.

shrug

What I was finding before making that adjustment was that I could post
to some NGs (eg, alt.test) but not to others (eg, this one).

Sample article. Demonstrating some commands.

https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-7...ss-news-server


OK, you tried that, and it didn't work and funny
things happened. Well, the problem is, NNTP servers
today, use "fast" connections and the connection is
dropped, practically as soon as the user stops providing
input. You have to work at "machine speed" to keep a connection.
By implementing this in INN, you can handle about
10X as many customers. But you also ruin the joys
of exercising NNTP protocol over Telnet or Stelnet.

We'll have to be content with this then, as a proof of concept.

https://i.postimg.cc/L6hpTJgq/no-SMTP.gif

┬*┬* Paul


  #7   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default Apologies...

On 06/06/2021 05:27 pm, anon wrote:

[ ... ]

I did not write it.
It doesn't even make any sense.


In the *orignal* post you claim not to have written, you wrote
*three* lines in all.

Which taken together *do* make sense.

quote

"JNugent" wrote in message
...

The leader of the Labour Party is not warranted any respect.

Thank you.

I'll pass that on.


/quote


If not strictly in accordance with what one might expect you to post
in respect of the Labour Party.


Well, quite.

I suggest you check again. Because accusations of forgery. even when totally
unwarranted as in this case, can undermine trust in the Group.


I am accusing no-one.

But as you probably know, there has been a certain amount of forgery in
a few other groups.
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Apologies...


"JNugent" wrote in message
...
On 06/06/2021 05:27 pm, anon wrote:

I suggest you check again. Because accusations of forgery. even when totally
unwarranted as in this case, can undermine trust in the Group.


I am accusing no-one.


quote

"JNugent" wrote in message
...

This is weird. I do not recall writing or posting that at all and there is no copy of
it in my "Sent" folder.


/quote


But as you probably know, there has been a certain amount of forgery in a few other
groups.


Its perfectly reasonable for anyone to interpret the above statement as accusing someone
else
of having posted that particular message; *even more so* when forgeries have emerged on
other groups




  #9   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default Apologies...

On 06/06/2021 06:28 pm, anon wrote:
"JNugent" wrote in message
...
On 06/06/2021 05:27 pm, anon wrote:

I suggest you check again. Because accusations of forgery. even when totally
unwarranted as in this case, can undermine trust in the Group.


I am accusing no-one.


quote

"JNugent" wrote in message
...

This is weird. I do not recall writing or posting that at all and there is no copy of
it in my "Sent" folder.


/quote


But as you probably know, there has been a certain amount of forgery in a few other
groups.


Its perfectly reasonable for anyone to interpret the above statement as accusing someone
else
of having posted that particular message; *even more so* when forgeries have emerged on
other groups


I am accusing no-one.

I can certainly identify no-one to accuse.

Whom do you say is being accused?
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Apologies...


"JNugent" wrote in message
...
On 06/06/2021 06:28 pm, anon wrote:
"JNugent" wrote in message
...
On 06/06/2021 05:27 pm, anon wrote:

I suggest you check again. Because accusations of forgery. even when totally
unwarranted as in this case, can undermine trust in the Group.

I am accusing no-one.


quote

"JNugent" wrote in message
...

This is weird. I do not recall writing or posting that at all and there is no copy of
it in my "Sent" folder.


/quote


But as you probably know, there has been a certain amount of forgery in a few other
groups.


Its perfectly reasonable for anyone to interpret the above statement as accusing
someone
else
of having posted that particular message; *even more so* when forgeries have emerged
on
other groups


I am accusing no-one.

I can certainly identify no-one to accuse.

Whom do you say is being accused?


Whoever it was, who wrote and posted the message you yourself do not recall writing or
posting.

Unless of course you're suggesting that Usenet messages are capable of spontaneously
writing and posting themselves using an identical NewsReader, NewsServer and posting
address as you yourself.







  #11   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,699
Default Apologies...

Is not that nntp?
Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Paul" wrote in message
...
JNugent wrote:
On 06/06/2021 02:45 pm, Andy Burns wrote:

JNugent wrote:

My SMTP settings are proving elusive

What's SMTP got to do with a non-moderated group?


That's SMTP as in the return path on a usenet account.

Every account I have on this PC has reset itself over the last few days
and passwords, etc, have had to be re-submitted.

News.individual.net's SMTP setting are always a problem when this
happens. I needed to experiment.

At least, staying on topic, I did it myself.


USENET uses nothing but NNTP protocol.

SMTP is not involved. SMTP stands
for "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol" and is
an email technology.

USENET activity can be spoofed with a telnet
session to Port 119

telnet news.individual.net 119

and then, how could SMTP possibly be involved ???

Sample article. Demonstrating some commands.

https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-7...ss-news-server

OK, you tried that, and it didn't work and funny
things happened. Well, the problem is, NNTP servers
today, use "fast" connections and the connection is
dropped, practically as soon as the user stops providing
input. You have to work at "machine speed" to keep a connection.
By implementing this in INN, you can handle about
10X as many customers. But you also ruin the joys
of exercising NNTP protocol over Telnet or Stelnet.

We'll have to be content with this then, as a proof of concept.

https://i.postimg.cc/L6hpTJgq/no-SMTP.gif

Paul



  #12   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43,017
Default Apologies...

In article ,
JNugent wrote:
What I was finding before making that adjustment was that I could post
to some NGs (eg, alt.test) but not to others (eg, this one).


I use the free News Eternal September and AIOE. Why both? They don't both
carry all the groups I want. Although obviously some are on both.
But I do seem to be able to post to any using just one of them.

--
*I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #13   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default Apologies...

On 07/06/2021 08:27 am, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Is not that nntp?
Brian


The nntp bit was working - I was seeing posts.

It was not being able to send posts to usenet (at least, in some NGs)
that was the difficulty, hence my visit to the news.individual.net
website and following the instructions. And also the reason for posting
a test post (and my subsequent apology for that).

I can only report what I read at that site. I don't think the university
was trying to advise me on how to set up email (as opposed to usenet),
but will gladly defer to anyone with better knowledge of how all this works.

  #14   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,236
Default Apologies...

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 12:38:33 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

...for writing a "test" post.

My SMTP settings are proving elusive - working in some NGs and
resolutely not in others.


1) alt.test for test posts
2) OT: at least if posting in another group
3) SMPT is not used in Usenet

I wonder what else is wrong?


--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
  #15   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default Apologies...

On 07/06/2021 11:13 am, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

JNugent wrote:


What I was finding before making that adjustment was that I could post
to some NGs (eg, alt.test) but not to others (eg, this one).


I use the free News Eternal September and AIOE. Why both? They don't both
carry all the groups I want. Although obviously some are on both.
But I do seem to be able to post to any using just one of them.


I used to use the Pipex news server (when it existed - and at a far from
cheap price for the ISP's services). It was pretty good, giving access
even to binary groups. But one day, they just announced that they were
withdrawing it, hence my signing up with the Berlin university (and
changing ISP). I did try one or two of the "free" servers, but settled
on the ten Euro sub from Berlin.


  #16   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default Apologies...

On 07/06/2021 12:15 pm, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 12:38:33 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

...for writing a "test" post.

My SMTP settings are proving elusive - working in some NGs and
resolutely not in others.


1) alt.test for test posts
2) OT: at least if posting in another group
3) SMPT is not used in Usenet

I wonder what else is wrong?


Seems to be working now.

Another thing I did was to uninstall the current version of Thunderbird
and re-install a version (which I'd kept on a backup drive) from a
couple of years ago. I can feel (and even see) the differences.
  #17   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,829
Default Apologies...

AnthonyL wrote:

3) SMPT is not used in Usenet


It can be for moderated groups (but that doesn't apply here)
  #18   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default Apologies...

On 07/06/2021 01:10 pm, Andy Burns wrote:

AnthonyL wrote:

3) SMPT is not used in Usenet


It can be for moderated groups (but that doesn't apply here)


Oddly... it was in a moderated group that the problem manifested itself.
I'd already successfully posted in two other groups (alt.test and a
disused uk.rec.* group).

Something seems to have fixed it though.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apologies to Igor George Woodturning 0 April 14th 05 04:44 PM
Apologies - Sanding Floorboards Again! andrewpreece UK diy 19 November 26th 04 07:32 PM
Diary of a Redneck woodturner in London (with apologies to Sam... Arch Woodturning 0 March 29th 04 02:58 PM
Please accept my apologies...Forgive me finish gods! A.I. Woodworking 3 September 1st 03 05:28 AM
Musings on Tool Sets (Apologies to Arch) George Woodturning 4 August 30th 03 01:14 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ę2004-2024 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"