Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas hob safety cut out?

My elderly neighbour was immobile yesterday and rang me for help. I
walked into the house and there was a very stong smell of gas. Is hob
was on, with no flame, apparently from the night before when he heated
some beans in a pan.

Now I'm somewhat confused as to how come it was still on with no
flame. If he'd forgotten to turn it off the flame would still be
burning. If he'd turned it on but didn't ignite then surely it should
have cut out the gas? Our gas hob let gas through without a flame.

Or could he have done it on purpose? Worrying.

It is a Stoves Newhome DF 600 SI Dom - I can't find much about it.

If it's faulty he needs it fixed, if that' how it works he needs a gas
alarm.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Wed, 02 Jun 2021 09:31:31 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

My elderly neighbour was immobile yesterday and rang me for help. I
walked into the house and there was a very stong smell of gas. Is hob
was on, with no flame, apparently from the night before when he heated
some beans in a pan.

Now I'm somewhat confused as to how come it was still on with no flame.
If he'd forgotten to turn it off the flame would still be burning. If
he'd turned it on but didn't ignite then surely it should have cut out
the gas? Our gas hob let gas through without a flame.

Or could he have done it on purpose? Worrying.

It is a Stoves Newhome DF 600 SI Dom - I can't find much about it.

If it's faulty he needs it fixed, if that' how it works he needs a gas
alarm.

It might be best to have the gas cut off and use an electric hob or
microwave. Always concerned with gas and disabled people. Electric heaters
in winter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:

I'm somewhat confused as to how come it was still on with no
flame. If he'd forgotten to turn it off the flame would still be
burning. If he'd turned it on but didn't ignite then surely it should
have cut out the gas?

Does it pre-date flame failure devices?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
My elderly neighbour was immobile yesterday and rang me for help. I
walked into the house and there was a very stong smell of gas. Is hob
was on, with no flame, apparently from the night before when he heated
some beans in a pan.

Now I'm somewhat confused as to how come it was still on with no
flame. If he'd forgotten to turn it off the flame would still be
burning. If he'd turned it on but didn't ignite then surely it should
have cut out the gas? Our gas hob let gas through without a flame.

Or could he have done it on purpose? Worrying.

It is a Stoves Newhome DF 600 SI Dom - I can't find much about it.

If it's faulty he needs it fixed, if that' how it works he needs a gas
alarm.

I once came across an oven which had been turned on by someone bending down
to get something out a low cupboard opposite.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2021 10:48, jon wrote:
[...]

Not a sound policy if they die of hypothermia for fear of the
electricity bill. Not everyone can afford to pay whatever it takes to
stay warm.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 2 June 2021 at 10:31:35 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
My elderly neighbour was immobile yesterday and rang me for help. I
walked into the house and there was a very stong smell of gas. Is hob
was on, with no flame, apparently from the night before when he heated
some beans in a pan.

Now I'm somewhat confused as to how come it was still on with no
flame. If he'd forgotten to turn it off the flame would still be
burning. If he'd turned it on but didn't ignite then surely it should
have cut out the gas? Our gas hob let gas through without a flame.

Or could he have done it on purpose? Worrying.

It is a Stoves Newhome DF 600 SI Dom - I can't find much about it.

If it's faulty he needs it fixed, if that' how it works he needs a gas
alarm.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

If installed in a correctly ventilated room as far as I can recall the old thinking was the rate of gas flow through the burner jet was insufficient to raise the concentration of gas in air to attain explosive levels and the stench would alert person's to the gas escaping. The introduction of flame failure devices was a safety improvement brought in later.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John J presented the following explanation :
If installed in a correctly ventilated room as far as I can recall the old
thinking was the rate of gas flow through the burner jet was insufficient to
raise the concentration of gas in air to attain explosive levels and the
stench would alert person's to the gas escaping.

Such ventilation is often deliberately blocked up these days, relying
upon flame failure devices for protection and room sealed boilers. No
problem at all, if there are no products of combustion or gas escapes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John J presented the following explanation :
If installed in a correctly ventilated room as far as I can recall the
old thinking was the rate of gas flow through the burner jet was
insufficient to raise the concentration of gas in air to attain
explosive levels and the stench would alert person's to the gas
escaping.

Such ventilation is often deliberately blocked up these days, relying
upon flame failure devices for protection and room sealed boilers. No
problem at all, if there are no products of combustion or gas escapes.

a few years ago, I discoverd that for commercial premises any fans need to
be turned on befoe gas is allowed to the appliances. Our theatre had a
solenoid valve in the gas supply operated by the fan switch.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 12:12:19 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

AnthonyL wrote:

I'm somewhat confused as to how come it was still on with no
flame. If he'd forgotten to turn it off the flame would still be
burning. If he'd turned it on but didn't ignite then surely it should
have cut out the gas?

Does it pre-date flame failure devices?

It would seem so.

The only conclusion that I can come to is that he had cold beans and
never lit the burner in the first place. He has been know to have the
odd drink or three.

Worrying also is the house stank when I let myself in and I
immediately went into the kitchen and turned it off. Although the
house stank he couldn't smell it, presumably because it had slowly
built up overnight and he'd got used to it whereas I came in from
outside.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

AnthonyL wrote:

I'm somewhat confused as to how come it was still on with no
flame. If he'd forgotten to turn it off the flame would still be
burning. If he'd turned it on but didn't ignite then surely it should
have cut out the gas?

Does it pre-date flame failure devices?

It would seem so.

The only conclusion that I can come to is that he had cold beans and
never lit the burner in the first place. He has been know to have the
odd drink or three.

Worrying also is the house stank when I let myself in and I
immediately went into the kitchen and turned it off. Although the
house stank he couldn't smell it, presumably because it had slowly
built up overnight and he'd got used to it whereas I came in from
outside.

There are some folk who genuinely cant smell the stenching agent (like the
way some folk cant smell asparagus in their urine).

I think age also comes into it. Older folk generally have a poorer sense of
smell.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2021 10:31, AnthonyL wrote:
My elderly neighbour was immobile yesterday and rang me for help. I
walked into the house and there was a very stong smell of gas. Is hob
was on, with no flame, apparently from the night before when he heated
some beans in a pan.

Now I'm somewhat confused as to how come it was still on with no
flame. If he'd forgotten to turn it off the flame would still be
burning. If he'd turned it on but didn't ignite then surely it should
have cut out the gas? Our gas hob let gas through without a flame.

Or could he have done it on purpose? Worrying.

It is a Stoves Newhome DF 600 SI Dom - I can't find much about it.

If it's faulty he needs it fixed, if that' how it works he needs a gas
alarm.

If it has a glass fold down lid, they often have a facility to cut off
the gas when you close the lid. It might be if it does not have an
effective FFD, that he closed it when still burning, then later opened
it thus restoring the gas flow but without a flame.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2021 12:12, Andy Burns wrote:
AnthonyL wrote:

I'm somewhat confused as to how come it was still on with no
flame.Â* If he'd forgotten to turn it off the flame would still be
burning.Â* If he'd turned it on but didn't ignite then surely it should
have cut out the gas?

Does it pre-date flame failure devices?

I believe it does.

There is no mention of any safety features in the manual:

https://www.cookerspareparts.com/con...fc956289ce.pdf
Retrieved from:

https://www.cookerspareparts.com/sea...ksku-050554041

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 3 June 2021 at 15:03:45 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

There are some folk who genuinely cant smell the stenching agent (like the
way some folk cant smell asparagus in their urine).

I think age also comes into it. Older folk generally have a poorer sense of
smell.

Tim

Not just older people. One of the hallmark symptoms of Covid-19 is anosmia. And that can last at least months after the acute phase - indeed, I am not sure whether it might be permanent in some.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

AnthonyL wrote:

I'm somewhat confused as to how come it was still on with no
flame. If he'd forgotten to turn it off the flame would still be
burning. If he'd turned it on but didn't ignite then surely it should
have cut out the gas?

Does it pre-date flame failure devices?

It would seem so.

The only conclusion that I can come to is that he had cold beans and
never lit the burner in the first place. He has been know to have the
odd drink or three.

Worrying also is the house stank when I let myself in and I
immediately went into the kitchen and turned it off. Although the
house stank he couldn't smell it, presumably because it had slowly
built up overnight and he'd got used to it whereas I came in from
outside.

My first house was a 1978-build centre-terraced property and the gas
meter was under the stairs in a cupboard. The regulator had a plastic
component which was known to fail which it did on mine and gas
leaked out very slightly.
I didn't notice, but the carpet fitter noticed it immediately.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

AnthonyL wrote:

I'm somewhat confused as to how come it was still on with no
flame. If he'd forgotten to turn it off the flame would still be
burning. If he'd turned it on but didn't ignite then surely it should
have cut out the gas?

Does it pre-date flame failure devices?

It would seem so.

Take a look under the top cover of the burner. If it has a spark
electrode and a little thermocouple sticking up then it should be able
to detect flame failure. If there's just a spark electrode then it won't
have flame failure detection.