Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default inverter for Halogen Hob and Oven

Hi All€¦

Some years ago we hired a very posh very modern Broads Cruiser this was
kitted out amongst other stuff with a ceramic hob (halogen
I think) and a largish electric oven and separate microwave.

I cant remember what it had in the way of a fridge / freezer.

I do remember we had to run the engine to use the cooking appliances and /
or the electric heating.

All of this was run via an inverter. It seems lik we an awful lot of KWs.

What kind (and approximate cost) of alternator and inverter would be needed
for this?

--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Holmes wrote:

Hi AllŚ

Some years ago we hired a very posh very modern Broads Cruiser this was
kitted out amongst other stuff with a ceramic hob (halogen
I think) and a largish electric oven and separate microwave.

I can‘t remember what it had in the way of a fridge / freezer.

I do remember we had to run the engine to use the cooking appliances and /
or the electric heating.

All of this was run via an inverter. It seems lik we an awful lot of KWs.

What kind (and approximate cost) of alternator and inverter would be needed
for this?

It would make more sense to me to generate the 240 volts directly from the
engine. No point in an inverter if you can't run off batteries. So likely
two independent electrical systems.

--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Mon, 31 May 2021 16:13:54 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Chris Holmes wrote:

Hi AllÂŚ

Some years ago we hired a very posh very modern Broads Cruiser this was
kitted out amongst other stuff with a ceramic hob (halogen I think) and
a largish electric oven and separate microwave.

I can‘t remember what it had in the way of a fridge / freezer.

I do remember we had to run the engine to use the cooking appliances
and / or the electric heating.

All of this was run via an inverter. It seems lik we an awful lot of
KWs.

What kind (and approximate cost) of alternator and inverter would be
needed for this?

It would make more sense to me to generate the 240 volts directly from
the engine. No point in an inverter if you can't run off batteries. So
likely two independent electrical systems.

Thats what I was thinking....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2021 17:01, jon wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2021 16:13:54 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Chris Holmes wrote:

Hi AllÂŚ

Some years ago we hired a very posh very modern Broads Cruiser this was
kitted out amongst other stuff with a ceramic hob (halogen I think) and
a largish electric oven and separate microwave.

I can‘t remember what it had in the way of a fridge / freezer.

I do remember we had to run the engine to use the cooking appliances
and / or the electric heating.

All of this was run via an inverter. It seems lik we an awful lot of
KWs.

What kind (and approximate cost) of alternator and inverter would be
needed for this?

It would make more sense to me to generate the 240 volts directly from
the engine. No point in an inverter if you can't run off batteries. So
likely two independent electrical systems.

Thats what I was thinking....

Might be worth bearing in mind that moorings may ban the running of
engines at night[1]. In such cases an inverter means you can get high
power 230V (eg for cooking) while running the main engine and then keep
low power 230V (eg for lights and TV) from batteries alone later.

[1] as in the CRT's licence conditions between 20:00 and 08:00- which
some people in London who live near canals wish they'd enforce more
vigorously

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain Lastname wrote:
On Monday, 31 May 2021 at 15:29:38 UTC+1, Chris Holmes wrote:
Hi All€¦

Some years ago we hired a very posh very modern Broads Cruiser this was
kitted out amongst other stuff with a ceramic hob (halogen
I think) and a largish electric oven and separate microwave.
What kind (and approximate cost) of alternator and inverter would be needed
for this?

5kW 24V to 240V inverter ÂŁ1864
http://barden-uk.com/product/victron-phoenix/

Victron is a very expensive way to go, you can get quite acceptable
inverters of that sort of capacity for much less.

--
Chris Green
·