Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default waterproofing wheetabix

Hi All,

Camping again..

I am planning to take an off cut of worktop to camp to use as a worktop to
put the cooler on.

Its the standard wheetabix with laminate on the top and front (Bullnose).

It seems to have cardboard underneath over the weetabix core, and it has
cut edges both sides.

What is the best way to waterproof the underside and sides to Trying to
get a tan from standing in the English rain standards?

--
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2021 13:32, Chris Holmes wrote:

Hi All,

Camping again..

I am planning to take an off cut of worktop to camp to use as a worktop to
put the cooler on.

Its the standard wheetabix with laminate on the top and front (Bullnose).

It seems to have cardboard underneath over the weetabix core, and it has
cut edges both sides.

What is the best way to waterproof the underside and sides to Trying to
get a tan from standing in the English rain standards?

I would tray and remove the cardboard, otherwise any waterproofing will
be pointless.

As GB has said, varnish is pretty good, perhaps the first coat diluted
to soak into the grain.

Another method is to paint waterproof glue on bare wood, a tip from a
kitchen fitter to seal the cut-outs for sinks etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Holmes" wrote in message

Hi All,

Camping again..

I am planning to take an off cut of worktop to camp to use as a worktop to
put the cooler on.

Its the standard wheetabix with laminate on the top and front (Bullnose).

It seems to have cardboard underneath over the weetabix core, and it has
cut edges both sides.

What is the best way to waterproof the underside and sides to
Trying to get a tan from standing in the English rain standards?

I estapoled mine and that has worked fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 06:30:27 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:02:42 +0100, Fredxx
wrote:

On 31/05/2021 13:32, Chris Holmes wrote:

Hi All,

Camping again..

I am planning to take an off cut of worktop to camp to use as a worktop to
put the cooler on.

Its the standard wheetabix with laminate on the top and front (Bullnose).

It seems to have cardboard underneath over the weetabix core, and it has
cut edges both sides.

What is the best way to waterproof the underside and sides to Trying to
get a tan from standing in the English rain standards?

I would tray and remove the cardboard, otherwise any waterproofing will
be pointless.

As GB has said, varnish is pretty good, perhaps the first coat diluted
to soak into the grain.

Another method is to paint waterproof glue on bare wood, a tip from a
kitchen fitter to seal the cut-outs for sinks etc.

I presume that the function of the cardboard is to act as a balancing
veneer to stop the top bowing (though I'd be interested to know how
much a top can bow if the underside of the weetabix gets wet). If that
is the case, I'd rather varnish over the cardboard than remove it.

Nick