Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Large screen TV

Was idly looking at some 65" TV reviews, and the 'best buy' at 3000 quid
only came with a wall mount bracket. For table top or freestanding, you
had to find and aftermarket stand - they didn't even list one as an
accessory.

Seemed odd to me - despite having a largish living room there is nowhere
convenient I could wall mount a TV.

--
*'ome is where you 'ang your @ *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 May 2021 11:43:21 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Was idly looking at some 65" TV reviews, and the 'best buy' at 3000 quid
only came with a wall mount bracket. For table top or freestanding, you
had to find and aftermarket stand - they didn't even list one as an
accessory.

Seemed odd to me - despite having a largish living room there is nowhere
convenient I could wall mount a TV.

I wonder if it's down to the risk of it falling over onto someone
(less likely when fixed to the wall)?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Was idly looking at some 65" TV reviews, and the 'best buy' at 3000 quid
only came with a wall mount bracket. For table top or freestanding, you
had to find and aftermarket stand - they didn't even list one as an
accessory.

Seemed odd to me - despite having a largish living room there is nowhere
convenient I could wall mount a TV.

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't see
what the attraction is. Always put our (admittedly tiny) 55 incher on a
proper TV table. Much more comfortable!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't see
what the attraction is.

Wall-mounted doesn't have to mean above mantelpiece height ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2021 02:10 pm, Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Bennet wrote:

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't
see what the attraction is.

Wall-mounted doesn't have to mean above mantelpiece height ...

.... but it usually is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
Was idly looking at some 65" TV reviews, and the 'best buy' at 3000 quid
only came with a wall mount bracket. For table top or freestanding, you
had to find and aftermarket stand - they didn't even list one as an
accessory.

Seemed odd to me - despite having a largish living room there is nowhere
convenient I could wall mount a TV.

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't see
what the attraction is. Always put our (admittedly tiny) 55 incher on a
proper TV table. Much more comfortable!

Many yonks ago at BBC training college, we were taught that a monitor for
long term viewing (and most TV use fits this) should be below the eyeline.

Mush more recently I had physio for a bad back. One of their leaflets also
said to make sure your computer monitor was below your eye level too.

--
*42.7% of statistics are made up. Sorry, that should read 47.2% *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Bennet wrote:

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't see
what the attraction is.

Wall-mounted doesn't have to mean above mantelpiece height ...

Look around the average living room. How many have a place for a wall
mounted TV if not above the fireplace? (assuming you have one)

--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2021 13:36, Andy Bennet wrote:
Was idly looking at some 65" TV reviews, and the 'best buy' at 3000 quid
only came with a wall mount bracket. For table top or freestanding, you
had to find and aftermarket stand - they didn't even list one as an
accessory.

Seemed odd to me - despite having a largish living room there is nowhere
convenient I could wall mount a TV.

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't see
what the attraction is. Always put our (admittedly tiny) 55 incher on a
proper TV table. Much more comfortable!

That seems to be more a function of height than actual wall mounting!
(you could wall mount a set at floor level if you wanted!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Was idly looking at some 65" TV reviews, and the 'best buy' at 3000 quid
only came with a wall mount bracket. For table top or freestanding, you
had to find and aftermarket stand - they didn't even list one as an
accessory.

Seemed odd to me - despite having a largish living room there is nowhere
convenient I could wall mount a TV.

The frustrating thing is that there must be loads of spare TV surface
mounting stands about, but unlike rear mount options there does not seem
to be any agreed standard for fixing centres etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The frustrating thing is that there must be loads of spare TV surface
mounting stands about, but unlike rear mount options there does not seem
to be any agreed standard for fixing centres etc.

I wonder if that's because they're designed to take the weight of the
specific set they were shipped with - if somebody mounts a heavier set or
one with a different CoG they could topple. Meanwhile wall mounts will only
topple if the wall does.

I think there are VESA mount surface stands, but they're fairly chunky and
need to be correctly sized for the panel you have (unless adjustable).

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Was idly looking at some 65" TV reviews, and the 'best buy' at 3000 quid
only came with a wall mount bracket. For table top or freestanding, you
had to find and aftermarket stand - they didn't even list one as an
accessory.

Seemed odd to me - despite having a largish living room there is nowhere
convenient I could wall mount a TV.

The frustrating thing is that there must be loads of spare TV surface
mounting stands about, but unlike rear mount options there does not seem
to be any agreed standard for fixing centres etc.

I had no difficulty in finding a table stand with VESA standard holes

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
Was idly looking at some 65" TV reviews, and the 'best buy' at 3000 quid
only came with a wall mount bracket. For table top or freestanding, you
had to find and aftermarket stand - they didn't even list one as an
accessory.

Seemed odd to me - despite having a largish living room there is nowhere
convenient I could wall mount a TV.

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't see
what the attraction is. Always put our (admittedly tiny) 55 incher on a
proper TV table. Much more comfortable!

Many yonks ago at BBC training college, we were taught that a monitor for
long term viewing (and most TV use fits this) should be below the eyeline.

Mush more recently I had physio for a bad back. One of their leaflets also
said to make sure your computer monitor was below your eye level too.

In the example here, the woman can watch TV without a neck issue...
as long as she is standing. The stand happens not to adjust.
Strike 1.

https://www.displays2go.ca/P-33906/T...ble-Management

Then, a customer puts the item behind a desk, so if the TV
falls forward, the desk blocks the stand from falling all
the way forward. So this is a customer inspired "stability solution".
Customers recognize that the law of gravity has not been repealed.
Some ordinary low boy furniture, with bags of sand in the bottom
where you can't see them, might suffice as a cover story. At one
time, I would have heartily recommended filling the bottom of the
furniture with steel plates, but those days of cheap steel are over.

https://gpausercontent.s3.amazonaws.com/images/2397.jpg
https://gpausercontent.s3.amazonaws.com/images/1919.jpg

Anyway, the purpose of showing this, is not to encourage
you to buy one, because it fails on just about every
stability metric. But, to use the idea of "furniture
in front", as a means to prevent "rubbies" from leaning
right on the screen. And with suitable carpentry and a
VESA plate, you can have it all... with no connection
to the wall surface whatsoever.

You'll need to crank it down a bit, to make it
comfortable from the sofa. There is going to be a
tradeoff between furniture height, and ideal viewing
height. A 65" set will have "zero clearance" to the
top of the furniture. There will be no room to be
elevating it further. Not if viewing from the sofa.

You'll need to adjust the position of the sofa,
for viewing the set (maybe 10 foot distance).

Now, if you need a VESA plate, VESA plates are
just too expensive for the DIY mindset. That's
why VESA plates are a licensing test for being
a DIY. Notice the nice job the gentleman has
done, to adapt a monitor for hanging. There are
all sorts of variants, done with steel strapping
or corner braces. I made one out of corner
braces, so I could "hang a terminal" from shelving.

https://www.briandorey.com/docs/diym...kofmonitor.jpg

So your tasks are first looking up the correct
ergonomics, then cobble some furniture to
function as the "base" for your ghetto upright
2x4 with some sort of VESA plate interface near top.
The furniture can't be too lightweight, or even
with sand bags added to it, it might not be able
to keep a 2x4 upright. Maybe making some home
furniture out of solid pine is in the books.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2021 13:36, Andy Bennet wrote:

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use.

People always want them mounting too high up, and you can't tell 'em.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't
see what the attraction is.

Wall-mounted doesn't have to mean above mantelpiece height ...

... but it usually is.

The problem is they visualise it as decor so want it at the height you'd
hang a picture. But you watch the telly sitting down. It's a waste of
time trying to tell people. Just mount is as they ask and take the money.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Was idly looking at some 65" TV reviews, and the 'best buy' at 3000 quid
only came with a wall mount bracket. For table top or freestanding, you
had to find and aftermarket stand - they didn't even list one as an
accessory.

Seemed odd to me - despite having a largish living room there is nowhere
convenient I could wall mount a TV.

The frustrating thing is that there must be loads of spare TV surface
mounting stands about, but unlike rear mount options there does not seem
to be any agreed standard for fixing centres etc.

I had no difficulty in finding a table stand with VESA standard holes

Yes - aftermarket ones are usually like that. But every other TV or
monitor I've ever bought comes with a table stand, and they're not
compatible.

--
*Welcome to **** Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Bennet" wrote in message
o.uk...
Was idly looking at some 65" TV reviews, and the 'best buy' at 3000 quid
only came with a wall mount bracket. For table top or freestanding, you
had to find and aftermarket stand - they didn't even list one as an
accessory.

Seemed odd to me - despite having a largish living room there is nowhere
convenient I could wall mount a TV.

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't see
what the attraction is. Always put our (admittedly tiny) 55 incher on a
proper TV table. Much more comfortable!

No reason why you cant wall mount it at the same height that a TV table
would be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't see
what the attraction is.

Wall-mounted doesn't have to mean above mantelpiece height ...

... but it usually is.

Irrelevant if that gives you neck ache.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
[...]

Mine isnt and I dont get neck ache or back ache either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Bennet wrote:

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't
see
what the attraction is.

Wall-mounted doesn't have to mean above mantelpiece height ...

Look around the average living room. How many have a place for a wall
mounted TV if not above the fireplace? (assuming you have one)

I dont and it can obviously go where the TV table is anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Was idly looking at some 65" TV reviews, and the 'best buy' at 3000
quid
only came with a wall mount bracket. For table top or freestanding, you
had to find and aftermarket stand - they didn't even list one as an
accessory.

Seemed odd to me - despite having a largish living room there is
nowhere
convenient I could wall mount a TV.

The frustrating thing is that there must be loads of spare TV surface
mounting stands about, but unlike rear mount options there does not seem
to be any agreed standard for fixing centres etc.

I had no difficulty in finding a table stand with VESA standard holes

But do you know that that TV has VESA standard holes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't
see what the attraction is.

Wall-mounted doesn't have to mean above mantelpiece height ...

... but it usually is.

Irrelevant if that gives you neck ache.

The secret is the right chairs. And popcorn.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/3293

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2021 15:30, Theo wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
The frustrating thing is that there must be loads of spare TV surface
mounting stands about, but unlike rear mount options there does not seem
to be any agreed standard for fixing centres etc.

I wonder if that's because they're designed to take the weight of the
specific set they were shipped with - if somebody mounts a heavier set or
one with a different CoG they could topple. Meanwhile wall mounts will only
topple if the wall does.

The weight is probably less of an issue these days when even large sets
are fairly light, but the CoG issue will be more pressing.

I think there are VESA mount surface stands, but they're fairly chunky and
need to be correctly sized for the panel you have (unless adjustable).

Indeed - there are plenty of articulating arm style mounts for monitors
etc that work like that, with a base either clamped or screwed to a
surface. I use something similar heat to hold a pair of 28" monitors.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul" wrote in message

Andy Bennet wrote:

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't
see what the attraction is.

Wall-mounted doesn't have to mean above mantelpiece height ...

... but it usually is.

Irrelevant if that gives you neck ache.

The secret is the right chairs.

And the right TV height for the most comfortable chairs.

And popcorn.

Nope, that must makes you even more morbidly obese than you already are.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/3293

**** that. The chances of that many all wanting to watch the same
thing at the same time and all agreeing about when to back track
and watch a bit again etc is zero. One chair is much more viable
and one room per person.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:03 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 31 May 2021 03:03:33 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

03:03??? LOL Is your unbearable LONELINESS not letting you sleep in again,
you abnormal senile cretin?

--
"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 May 2021 03:06:19 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 May 2021 03:05:14 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Mine isnt and I dont get neck ache or back ache either.

Of COURSE not, you auto-contradicting senile pest!

--
Hawk addressing the obnoxious senile Australian pest:
"I'm willing to bet you scream your own name when jacking off."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 May 2021 03:02:34 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't see
what the attraction is. Always put our (admittedly tiny) 55 incher on a
proper TV table. Much more comfortable!

No reason why you cant wall mount it at the same height that a TV table
would be.

Lots of reasons, senile asshole!

--
Bill Wright to Rodent Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 May 2021 03:09:12 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The frustrating thing is that there must be loads of spare TV surface
mounting stands about, but unlike rear mount options there does not seem
to be any agreed standard for fixing centres etc.

I had no difficulty in finding a table stand with VESA standard holes

But do you know that that TV has VESA standard holes.

He never said or hinted at anything like that, you abnormal,
auto-contradicting senile pest. He said that he had no difficulty in finding
a table stand with VESA standard holes!

--
John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 May 2021 03:54:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't
see what the attraction is.

Wall-mounted doesn't have to mean above mantelpiece height ...

... but it usually is.

Irrelevant if that gives you neck ache.

No need to tell me. I wouldn't dream of fixing a TV to the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't
see what the attraction is.

Wall-mounted doesn't have to mean above mantelpiece height ...

... but it usually is.

Irrelevant if that gives you neck ache.

In any case (mounting height notwithstanding), there aren't going to be
very many places in an average size room where the set could be attached
flat to a wall and be seen from the various likely positions of seating.

I don't remember any house I've ever lived in where the TV set wasn't
placed diagonally in or near a corner so that its viewing angle took in
either the whole room or pretty close to that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't
see what the attraction is.

Wall-mounted doesn't have to mean above mantelpiece height ...

... but it usually is.

Irrelevant if that gives you neck ache.

In any case (mounting height notwithstanding), there aren't going to be
very many places in an average size room where the set could be attached
flat to a wall and be seen from the various likely positions of seating.

I don't remember any house I've ever lived in where the TV set wasn't
placed diagonally in or near a corner so that its viewing angle took in
either the whole room or pretty close to that.

Plenty of wall mounts that will allow you to swing the screen to any angle. The photo shows a 44 screen almost swung out at 90deg.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hh2kjvebo...20.06.jpg?dl=0

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JNugent wrote:
In any case (mounting height notwithstanding), there aren't going to be
very many places in an average size room where the set could be attached
flat to a wall and be seen from the various likely positions of seating.

Quite. Except if you have a purpose built cinema room. In which case makes
no difference if it is wall mounted or free standing.

--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't
see what the attraction is.

Wall-mounted doesn't have to mean above mantelpiece height ...

... but it usually is.

Irrelevant if that gives you neck ache.

In any case (mounting height notwithstanding), there aren't going to be
very many places in an average size room where the set could be attached
flat to a wall and be seen from the various likely positions of seating.

I don't remember any house I've ever lived in where the TV set wasn't
placed diagonally in or near a corner so that its viewing angle took in
either the whole room or pretty close to that.

Plenty of wall brackets allow angled positioning

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use.
Can't see what the attraction is.

Wall-mounted doesn't have to mean above mantelpiece height ...

... but it usually is.

Irrelevant if that gives you neck ache.

In any case (mounting height notwithstanding), there aren't going to be
very many places in an average size room where the set could be attached
flat to a wall and be seen from the various likely positions of seating.

Many homes have redundant chimney breast on one side of the room and a
settee directly opposite on the other side.

I don't remember any house I've ever lived in where the TV set wasn't
placed diagonally in or near a corner so that its viewing angle took in
either the whole room or pretty close to that.

If we did not still have a fire in the living room, we might have moved
ours from the corner to the chimney breast by now.

That would actually allow it to be viewed from more of the room, as the
corner is the old end of the room and there is an archway through to an
extension adding another 50% to the room, but behind the TV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2021 01:41 pm, charles wrote:

Andy Bennet wrote:

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't
see what the attraction is.

Wall-mounted doesn't have to mean above mantelpiece height ...

... but it usually is.

Irrelevant if that gives you neck ache.

In any case (mounting height notwithstanding), there aren't going to be
very many places in an average size room where the set could be attached
flat to a wall and be seen from the various likely positions of seating.

I don't remember any house I've ever lived in where the TV set wasn't
placed diagonally in or near a corner so that its viewing angle took in
either the whole room or pretty close to that.

Plenty of wall brackets allow angled positioning

Er... yes... I've... er... seen them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well maybe they think if you can afford 3 grand on a tv you can afford to
live in a property with big walls or employ a joiner to make a nice stand
for it. I'm not sure I'd want to stand mount something so big and top heavy,
asking for trouble if you ask me.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Was idly looking at some 65" TV reviews, and the 'best buy' at 3000 quid
only came with a wall mount bracket. For table top or freestanding, you
had to find and aftermarket stand - they didn't even list one as an
accessory.

Seemed odd to me - despite having a largish living room there is nowhere
convenient I could wall mount a TV.

--
*'ome is where you 'ang your @ *

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 May 2021 05:24:19 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky
wrote:
snip

Plenty of wall mounts that will allow you to swing the screen to any angle. The photo shows a 44 screen almost swung out at 90deg.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hh2kjvebo...20.06.jpg?dl=0

That's very much like the one I used to mount a 40" TV I bought off a
mate when he upgraded. I fitted it as low as possible on the chimney
breast (over the cast iron fire place) in our bedroom and when flat
against the wall is at 90 degrees to our bed, however, pulled out and
angled to over 45 degrees (and is set angled down slightly) it's
prefect when watching TV sat up or propped up on the pillows.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2021 13:41, charles wrote:

Andy Bennet wrote:

Wall mounted TV's give me neck ache after a short time of use. Can't
see what the attraction is.

Wall-mounted doesn't have to mean above mantelpiece height ...

... but it usually is.

Irrelevant if that gives you neck ache.

In any case (mounting height notwithstanding), there aren't going to be
very many places in an average size room where the set could be attached
flat to a wall and be seen from the various likely positions of seating.

I don't remember any house I've ever lived in where the TV set wasn't
placed diagonally in or near a corner so that its viewing angle took in
either the whole room or pretty close to that.

Plenty of wall brackets allow angled positioning

I used one of those:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...dTVBracket.jpg

Even though ultimately it was going ot be parallel to the wall -
although spaced about 12" from it:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...etedAVUnit.jpg

(nicely out of the close up region of varifocal glasses :-)

--
Cheers,

John.