Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Keeping cupboards doors open and closed . . .

I'm trying my hand at building a frame to go in the back of a van-car (Peugeot
Partner) to create some storage and sleeping space. I've screwed together a
frame:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0zGRMtznGIKZHW

The top of the frame will be finished with 12mm ply which will serve variously
as seats, a bed and a backrest, and each section will piano hinge open to
enable access to storage.

The LHS section goes over where the back seats were. 2 pieces of ply will go
on top of the unit, hinged. This will then fold out to form a backrest, and
hinge down to make a flat surface for sleeping etc. Other conversions use a
piece of wood to support the 'backrest' - usually against the front seats. The
same piece of wood then supports the ply on the floor in the flat position.
This is fine - it seems to work, but looks clumsy. Any other ideas about how
to support the ply at say upright and flat?

My next problem is securing the various cabinet tops/seats. I'd like something
that stretches or cams to latch the tops securely on the move. I suppose a
bungee/hook would do it. Any better ideas?

And holding the tops in the open position - something reliable and
unobtrusive. I've got a 50N gas strut, but that seems an improbable amount of
force for a c.2kg bit of ply. A formula suggests it might work:

https://www.engineerlive.com/content...gs-effectively

but I'm not sure whether this is the best method (I've not seen it used).
Others seem to use stay arms, which would be OK, but look a bit tatty to my
eye.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 May 2021 07:28:59 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

I'm trying my hand at building a frame to go in the back of a van-car (Peugeot
Partner) to create some storage and sleeping space. I've screwed together a
frame:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0zGRMtznGIKZHW

The top of the frame will be finished with 12mm ply which will serve variously
as seats, a bed and a backrest, and each section will piano hinge open to
enable access to storage.

Daughters ex did similar in his Berlingo. ;-)

The LHS section goes over where the back seats were. 2 pieces of ply will go
on top of the unit, hinged. This will then fold out to form a backrest, and
hinge down to make a flat surface for sleeping etc. Other conversions use a
piece of wood to support the 'backrest' - usually against the front seats. The
same piece of wood then supports the ply on the floor in the flat position.
This is fine - it seems to work, but looks clumsy. Any other ideas about how
to support the ply at say upright and flat?

One of the methods often used is a simple turnbuckle, often poking
though a hand / finger hole also used to lift the panel etc. With a
reasonable friction on the turnbuckle there is little chance of it
undoing when the vehicle is in motion.

My next problem is securing the various cabinet tops/seats. I'd like something
that stretches or cams to latch the tops securely on the move. I suppose a
bungee/hook would do it. Any better ideas?

Turnbuckles again?

And holding the tops in the open position - something reliable and
unobtrusive. I've got a 50N gas strut, but that seems an improbable amount of
force for a c.2kg bit of ply. A formula suggests it might work:

https://www.engineerlive.com/content...gs-effectively

As long as the load is distributed suitably (reinforcement area /
strip) and any hinges strong enough then you should be ok.

but I'm not sure whether this is the best method (I've not seen it used).

I think they may overcomplicate things, unless there is no other way.

Others seem to use stay arms, which would be OK, but look a bit tatty to my
eye.

I think it can depend on how they are designed and implemented. ;-)

You probably already know this but you might need to watch out for
condensation, depending on when / where you camp out and if the van
will be lined / insulated etc. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2021 08:28, RJH wrote:
I'm trying my hand at building a frame to go in the back of a van-car (Peugeot
Partner) to create some storage and sleeping space. I've screwed together a
frame:

https://thedriven.io/2021/04/08/las-...camper-add-on/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 May 2021 at 15:52:06 BST, "Andrew"
wrote:

On 25/05/2021 08:28, RJH wrote:
I'm trying my hand at building a frame to go in the back of a van-car
(Peugeot
Partner) to create some storage and sleeping space. I've screwed together a
frame:

https://thedriven.io/2021/04/08/las-...camper-add-on/

Good grief. Not sure how much it's a 'credible job' :-)
--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm trying my hand at building a frame to go in the back of a van-car
(Peugeot
Partner) to create some storage and sleeping space. I've screwed together a
frame:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0zGRMtznGIKZHW

The top of the frame will be finished with 12mm ply which will serve
variously
as seats, a bed and a backrest, and each section will piano hinge open to
enable access to storage.

Daughters ex did similar in his Berlingo. ;-)

Yes, this is a Berlingo clone (or the other way round)

[...]

Thanks, I'll take a look.

And holding the tops in the open position - something reliable and
unobtrusive. I've got a 50N gas strut, but that seems an improbable amount of
force for a c.2kg bit of ply. A formula suggests it might work:

https://www.engineerlive.com/content...gs-effectively

As long as the load is distributed suitably (reinforcement area /
strip) and any hinges strong enough then you should be ok.

but I'm not sure whether this is the best method (I've not seen it used).

I think they may overcomplicate things, unless there is no other way.

I think it could be very neat - if done properly.

Others seem to use stay arms, which would be OK, but look a bit tatty to my
eye.

I think it can depend on how they are designed and implemented. ;-)

You probably already know this but you might need to watch out for
condensation, depending on when / where you camp out and if the van
will be lined / insulated etc. ;-)

On the forums they either fit a roof light, or crack open the windows and add
some deflectors to keep the rain out.

Have to admit this is very much at the planning stage - lots I haven't
considered, and my tendency to overthink things needs to be put away to the
side :-)

--
Cheers, Rob