Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Accurate measurement of internal dimensions - telescopic measuringrod?

I have a gap into which I want to insert a cut piece of wood.
[More detail available if necessary.]

The gap is around 345 mm but there is a slight recess so I can't eyeball a
tape with the exact measurement (although I haven't found that very
accurate when I'm doing it anyway).

I thought of a sliding measure which could be locked when it fitted the
internal dimensions.

I looked on line but they all seem to be 1 metre plus minimum length.

Does anyone know of such a measure or have a sneaky alternative method?

I was hoping to set a rigid measure, then transfer the measurement
directly to a piece of wood which I would then cut to fit exactly.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 22 May 2021 at 16:32:25 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
I have a gap into which I want to insert a cut piece of wood.
[More detail available if necessary.]

The gap is around 345 mm but there is a slight recess so I can't eyeball a
tape with the exact measurement (although I haven't found that very
accurate when I'm doing it anyway).

I thought of a sliding measure which could be locked when it fitted the
internal dimensions.

I looked on line but they all seem to be 1 metre plus minimum length.

Does anyone know of such a measure or have a sneaky alternative method?

I was hoping to set a rigid measure, then transfer the measurement
directly to a piece of wood which I would then cut to fit exactly.

Something like a bigger version of https://www.warco.co.uk/dividers-cal...ng-loaded.html ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 May 2021 15:32:21 +0000, David wrote:

I have a gap into which I want to insert a cut piece of wood.
[More detail available if necessary.]

The gap is around 345 mm but there is a slight recess so I can't eyeball
a tape with the exact measurement (although I haven't found that very
accurate when I'm doing it anyway).

I thought of a sliding measure which could be locked when it fitted the
internal dimensions.

I looked on line but they all seem to be 1 metre plus minimum length.

Does anyone know of such a measure or have a sneaky alternative method?

I was hoping to set a rigid measure, then transfer the measurement
directly to a piece of wood which I would then cut to fit exactly.

Stumbled across this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfcraft-5...ft-Adapter/dp/
B07CSZ42JK/

I've ordered one with a (hopefully) matching folding rule.

It seems to do the job.

There was an associated video which showed it doing more or less what I
want to do.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David
writes
I have a gap into which I want to insert a cut piece of wood.
[More detail available if necessary.]

The gap is around 345 mm but there is a slight recess so I can't eyeball a
tape with the exact measurement (although I haven't found that very
accurate when I'm doing it anyway).

I thought of a sliding measure which could be locked when it fitted the
internal dimensions.

I looked on line but they all seem to be 1 metre plus minimum length.

Does anyone know of such a measure or have a sneaky alternative method?

I was hoping to set a rigid measure, then transfer the measurement
directly to a piece of wood which I would then cut to fit exactly.

Two pointed bits of wood, longer than half your 345 (say 250 each).
Insert into hole gripping the overlap. Rotate to 90 deg. and adjust
until you are confident you have found the largest diameter. Remove from
hole and mark the overlap before relaxing your grip:-) Transfer the
length to your tape measure...

Cheers

Dave R

Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2021 16:32, David wrote:
I have a gap into which I want to insert a cut piece of wood.
[More detail available if necessary.]

The gap is around 345 mm but there is a slight recess so I can't eyeball a
tape with the exact measurement (although I haven't found that very
accurate when I'm doing it anyway).

I thought of a sliding measure which could be locked when it fitted the
internal dimensions.

I looked on line but they all seem to be 1 metre plus minimum length.

Does anyone know of such a measure or have a sneaky alternative method?

I was hoping to set a rigid measure, then transfer the measurement
directly to a piece of wood which I would then cut to fit exactly.

for 345mm, I'd suggest two overlapping 12" steel rules.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes but for short lengths I simply bought some plastic knitting needles and
cut one a bit too long then filed it down so it was an interference fit and
you can allso see if the gap is tapered or ****ed as the technical bloke
might say. They used to be pennies in markets.
I'm going back a bit in time though. Trouble is with telescopic things with
no lock you can easily muck up the length.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On 22 May 2021 15:32:21 GMT, David wrote:

I have a gap into which I want to insert a cut piece of wood.
[More detail available if necessary.]

The gap is around 345 mm but there is a slight recess so I can't eyeball a
tape with the exact measurement (although I haven't found that very
accurate when I'm doing it anyway).

I thought of a sliding measure which could be locked when it fitted the
internal dimensions.

I looked on line but they all seem to be 1 metre plus minimum length.

Does anyone know of such a measure or have a sneaky alternative method?

I was hoping to set a rigid measure, then transfer the measurement
directly to a piece of wood which I would then cut to fit exactly.

Cheers

Dave R

Use a telescopic aerial for a portable radio, something like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233804869...AOSwXbVexyX P
or https://tinyurl.com/ygxlu4ne

--

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2021 22:29, Steve Walker wrote:
On 22/05/2021 16:32, David wrote:
I have a gap into which I want to insert a cut piece of wood.
[More detail available if necessary.]

The gap is around 345 mm but there is a slight recess so I can't
eyeball a
tape with the exact measurement (although I haven't found that very
accurate when I'm doing it anyway).

I thought of a sliding measure which could be locked when it fitted the
internal dimensions.

I looked on line but they all seem to be 1 metre plus minimum length.

Does anyone know of such a measure or have a sneaky alternative method?

I was hoping to set a rigid measure, then transfer the measurement
directly to a piece of wood which I would then cut to fit exactly.

for 345mm, I'd suggest two overlapping 12" steel rules.

+1, or just two pieces of wood. It would be daft to buy a special widget
when it's so quick and easy to make something suitable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You can tape measures on a reel that have two sets of numbers, the ones on one side are for measuring internal gaps like yours, you read the measurement through a window on the top.

https://www.thetapestore.co.uk/fisco...ring-tape-vf3m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

You can tape measures on a reel that have two sets of numbers, the
ones on one side are for measuring internal gaps like yours, you read
the measurement through a window on the top.

I have a Hultafors Talmeter, another designed to take internal measurements

https://hultafors.com/products/measure/talmeter/79369
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 May 2021 02:18:01 -0700, Murmansk wrote:

You can tape measures on a reel that have two sets of numbers, the ones
on one side are for measuring internal gaps like yours, you read the
measurement through a window on the top.

https://www.thetapestore.co.uk/fisco...nal-measuring-

tape-vf3m

Thanks.
That is a really clever design.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2021 12:32, David wrote:
On Sun, 23 May 2021 02:18:01 -0700, Murmansk wrote:

You can tape measures on a reel that have two sets of numbers, the ones
on one side are for measuring internal gaps like yours, you read the
measurement through a window on the top.

https://www.thetapestore.co.uk/fisco...nal-measuring-

tape-vf3m

Thanks.
That is a really clever design.

Every tape I have bought in the last 20- years is like that

Cheers

Dave R

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
I have a gap into which I want to insert a cut piece of wood.
[More detail available if necessary.]

The gap is around 345 mm but there is a slight recess so I can't eyeball a
tape with the exact measurement (although I haven't found that very
accurate when I'm doing it anyway).

I thought of a sliding measure which could be locked when it fitted the
internal dimensions.

I looked on line but they all seem to be 1 metre plus minimum length.

Does anyone know of such a measure or have a sneaky alternative method?

I was hoping to set a rigid measure, then transfer the measurement
directly to a piece of wood which I would then cut to fit exactly.

I had a tape measure ideal for this. Called a MarkOMatic.

You could measure an alcove then directly mark a shelf to fit it, using
the pencil lead or scriber in the device body. There were also leads and
scribers at the front of the body for say copying a shelf directly - and
in neither case did you need to remember the true measurment.

It was such a useful device I was surprised to find it NLA when the tape
in mine finally broke.

There are slightly similar on the market, but non as good.

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2021 17:01, Chris Hogg wrote:
[...]

Or two lengths of bamboo cane (for runner-bean support) strapped
together with some elastic bands.