Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange eBay T&C for postage

Trying to buy a replacement battery for an old Samsung Galaxy S7 phone
that is nearly dead.

There are plenty on offer on eBay at around £5-£7, inc. all the tools
required for the job and free delivery.

However, every single one of them comes with a statement similar to this
one:
"Due to Restriction, Buyers in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Post Code
Starts with EX, DD, ML, CF, FY , KA , BB Please choose My Hermes
postage option"

i.e. no (Royal Mail) postage available to any of the those locations,
unless using Hermes.

I am aware that postage to the Highland and Islands of Scotland could
sometime be more expensive, bu what could be the reason for not being
able to post to Scotland? Some of them even state "Glasgow"
specifically? The post codes also look random to me...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 19:21, JoeJoe wrote:
Trying to buy a replacement battery for an old Samsung Galaxy S7 phone
that is nearly dead.

There are plenty on offer on eBay at around £5-£7, inc. all the tools
required for the job and free delivery.

However, every single one of them comes with a statement similar to this
one:
"Due to Restriction, Buyers in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Post Code
Starts with EX, DD, ML, CF, FY , KA , BB Please chooseÂ* My Hermes
postage option"

i.e. no (Royal Mail) postage available to any of the those locations,
unless using Hermes.

I am aware that postage to the Highland and Islands of Scotland could
sometime be more expensive, bu what could be the reason for not being
able to post to Scotland? Some of them even state "Glasgow"
specifically? The post codes also look random to me...

e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373394477...YAAOSwdpRf2pL4
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 19:23, JoeJoe wrote:

On 14/05/2021 19:21, JoeJoe wrote:

Trying to buy a replacement battery for an old Samsung Galaxy S7 phone
that is nearly dead.

There are plenty on offer on eBay at around £5-£7, inc. all the tools
required for the job and free delivery.

However, every single one of them comes with a statement similar to
this one:
"Due to Restriction, Buyers in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Post
Code Starts with EX, DD, ML, CF, FY , KA , BB Please chooseÂ* My Hermes
postage option"

i.e. no (Royal Mail) postage available to any of the those locations,
unless using Hermes.

I am aware that postage to the Highland and Islands of Scotland could
sometime be more expensive, bu what could be the reason for not being
able to post to Scotland? Some of them even state "Glasgow"
specifically? The post codes also look random to me...

e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373394477...YAAOSwdpRf2pL4

Oops, the one for the Edge model. Same for the standard one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133631396...Cclp%3A2334524
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
Trying to buy a replacement battery for an old Samsung Galaxy S7 phone
that is nearly dead.

There are plenty on offer on eBay at around £5-£7, inc. all the tools
required for the job and free delivery.

However, every single one of them comes with a statement similar to this
one:
"Due to Restriction, Buyers in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Post Code
Starts with EX, DD, ML, CF, FY , KA , BB Please choose My Hermes
postage option"

i.e. no (Royal Mail) postage available to any of the those locations,
unless using Hermes.

I am aware that postage to the Highland and Islands of Scotland could
sometime be more expensive, bu what could be the reason for not being
able to post to Scotland? Some of them even state "Glasgow"
specifically? The post codes also look random to me...

Royal Mail don't accept batteries.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

Trying to buy a replacement battery for an old Samsung Galaxy S7 phone

20 year warranty? Run away ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 19:38, Andy Burns wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:

Trying to buy a replacement battery for an old Samsung Galaxy S7 phone

20 year warranty? Run away ...

;-) not to worry - I was paying any attention to that. They are all the
same - generic version of the original.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 19:32, charles wrote:
In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Why then are they happy to send to any address other than those
postcodes? Do they specifically screen post that goes these for batteries?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

AIUI, not individual lithium batteries. However, I think they might be
OK if they are part of and enclosed in equipment (but you need to check
this).
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

perhaps air transport is involved

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 20:01, charles wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Doesn't look like it.

A friend's husband drives a Royal Mail lorry overnight from Manchester
to Edinburgh 5 days a week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2021 20:00, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , charles
writes
In article ,
Â* JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Does look like it.

They have no issue when sending from any address to any address within
the UK, only when the recipient lives in Scotland, NI or a few (random
looking) postcodes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 May 2021 19:32:17 +0100, charles wrote:

In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Well, *lithium* batteries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Fri, 14 May 2021 20:00:12 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

I have this week, bought 8 Nokia BL-6F Lithium batteries that fit my TENS
machine and they were delivered by Royal Mail. No disclaimers or
aggravation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

Trying to buy a replacement battery for an old Samsung Galaxy S7 phone

20 year warranty? Run away ...

;-) not to worry - I was paying any attention to that. They are all the
same - generic version of the original.

Yup

even original batteries catch fire if the quality control hasn't worked

it isn't where the battery is made that's the problem. It how it is checked

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 05:47, jon wrote:

I have this week, bought 8 Nokia BL-6F Lithium batteries that fit my TENS
machine and they were delivered by Royal Mail. No disclaimers or
aggravation.

The RM may ban certain items from their system but they don't know what
is in the packages that go through the system especially if packed in
such a way that disguises the content. I've had boxes of batteries and
some "dodgy" liquids delivered by RM.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well that cannot be so as I've had things with lithium batteries in them via
royal mail. Maybe they have a bad reputation for combustion, which might
actually suggest not to touch this particular source with a 6 ft pole, on
the other hand do Hermes like their vans to catch fire?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was in my local post office on Thursday. Notice above the counter states
they do not accept lithium batteries in the post.

In article , Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
wrote:
Well that cannot be so as I've had things with lithium batteries in them
via royal mail. Maybe they have a bad reputation for combustion, which
might actually suggest not to touch this particular source with a 6 ft
pole, on the other hand do Hermes like their vans to catch fire? Brian

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 09:11, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Transported by air??
Seems unlikely.

A lot of Royal Mail is sent by air within the UK. However, they usually
apply the air freight restrictions to all post, just in case it is flown
at some point en route. They may have special arrangements with these
suppliers for destinations they know will not involve air transport.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 04:47:05 +0000, jon wrote:

I have this week, bought 8 Nokia BL-6F Lithium batteries that fit my
TENS machine and they were delivered by Royal Mail. No disclaimers or
aggravation.

Then the supplier is being cheap.

The Royal Mail rules clearly state that lithium cells/batteries not
contained in equipment are prohibited.

I always order one lithium cell when doing a CPC order. That forces them
to use UPS (usually next day) instead of Royal mail (usually several
days). It's cheaper than the 'next day' charge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
Trying to buy a replacement battery for an old Samsung Galaxy S7 phone
that is nearly dead.

There are plenty on offer on eBay at around £5-£7, inc. all the tools
required for the job and free delivery.

However, every single one of them comes with a statement similar to this
one:
"Due to Restriction, Buyers in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Post Code
Starts with EX, DD, ML, CF, FY , KA , BB Please choose My Hermes
postage option"

EX = Exeter
DD = Dundee
ML = Motherwell
CF = Cardiff
FY = Blackpool (Fylde)
KA = Kilmarnock
BB = Blackburn

That sounds like a really random collection of postcodes.

I was wondering if they were postcodes that happened to have islands in them
whose ferries might cause issues, but FY is only greater Blackpool and BB
and ML are landlocked.

Maybe they've just had problems with deliveries in those areas and have
decided to block them?

BTW, a battery for a fiver including tools and delivery sounds suspiciously
cheap...

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 May 2021 11:38:14 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

EX = Exeter
DD = Dundee
ML = Motherwell
CF = Cardiff
FY = Blackpool (Fylde)
KA = Kilmarnock
BB = Blackburn

That sounds like a really random collection of postcodes.

I was wondering if they were postcodes that happened to have islands in them
whose ferries might cause issues, but FY is only greater Blackpool and BB
and ML are landlocked.

I think they are the locations of airports used in RM's overnight
network, probably default routing for those areas from the vendor's
location. (In 1995 RM was using 32 charted flights from/to 21
airports. Don't know what the current situation is.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 May 2021 10:21:29 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

The Royal Mail rules clearly state that lithium cells/batteries not
contained in equipment are prohibited.

About 20 years ago I sent 2.5l of paint, also prohibited, by post.
Sealed the lid, put the can in a sturdy box filled with polystyrene
chip and sealed that, too. Never had any complaint, either from RM or
the customer.
(The paint was for an RAF station in Rutland, Cottesmore or N
Luffenham, and would have taken at least half a day to deliver by van
from Leicester.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 11:38, Theo wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

That was also my suspicion - the only logical explanation I could come
up with.

BTW, a battery for a fiver including tools and delivery sounds suspiciously
cheap...

The S7 is an old model - 5 years or so, so most likely old stock of OEM
that are still around. The reviews from buyers are all positive -
haven't seen any that spoke about safety. Several of the large mobile
phone parts sellers (not eBay) seem to sell what looks remarkably
similar batteries.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

EX = Exeter
DD = Dundee
ML = Motherwell
CF = Cardiff
FY = Blackpool (Fylde)
KA = Kilmarnock
BB = Blackburn

That sounds like a really random collection of postcodes.

I was wondering if they were postcodes that happened to have islands in them
whose ferries might cause issues, but FY is only greater Blackpool and BB
and ML are landlocked.

I think they are the locations of airports used in RM's overnight
network, probably default routing for those areas from the vendor's
location. (In 1995 RM was using 32 charted flights from/to 21
airports. Don't know what the current situation is.)

Thanks.
I can assure you 100% that there are no airports near Motherwell or
Kilmarnock. Motherwell is in fact located just off the M74 - the only
motorway connecting Scotland to England.
A friend's husband drives a RM lorry on it every night, transporting
mail between the two.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 May 2021 at 19:21:18 UTC+1, JoeJoe wrote:
Trying to buy a replacement battery for an old Samsung Galaxy S7 phone
that is nearly dead.

There are plenty on offer on eBay at around £5-£7, inc. all the tools
required for the job and free delivery.

I can't comment on the postage aspects of your question but having recently changed the battery in my Samsung S6 (different phone obviously but very similar) I was beginning to get very frustrated at reading such mixed reviews about 3rd party phone batteries - many of which were seemingly fake Samsung batteries. I stumbled across Green Cell who are a legitimate manufacturer of batteries and sell direct. They do one for the S7, and whilst it is more expensive than many on eBay at £14.95 including delivery I think the extra is worth it for peace of mind. Thought I'd share this in case it's of any interest/use.

https://greencell.global/en/samsung/...-s7-g930f.html
Company info: https://greencell.global/en/about
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

EX = Exeter DD = Dundee ML = Motherwell CF = Cardiff FY = Blackpool
(Fylde) KA = Kilmarnock BB = Blackburn

That sounds like a really random collection of postcodes.

I was wondering if they were postcodes that happened to have islands
in them whose ferries might cause issues, but FY is only greater
Blackpool and BB and ML are landlocked.

I think they are the locations of airports used in RM's overnight
network, probably default routing for those areas from the vendor's
location. (In 1995 RM was using 32 charted flights from/to 21 airports.
Don't know what the current situation is.)

Thanks. I can assure you 100% that there are no airports near Motherwell
or Kilmarnock. Motherwell is in fact located just off the M74 - the only
motorway connecting Scotland to England. A friend's husband drives a RM
lorry on it every night, transporting mail between the two.

The Kilmarnock PostCode includes Prestwick airport

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

EX = Exeter
DD = Dundee
ML = Motherwell
CF = Cardiff
FY = Blackpool (Fylde)
KA = Kilmarnock
BB = Blackburn

That sounds like a really random collection of postcodes.

I was wondering if they were postcodes that happened to have islands in them
whose ferries might cause issues, but FY is only greater Blackpool and BB
and ML are landlocked.

I think they are the locations of airports used in RM's overnight
network, probably default routing for those areas from the vendor's
location. (In 1995 RM was using 32 charted flights from/to 21
airports. Don't know what the current situation is.)

If so it's a very partial and out of date list. RM cut back in 2003 to
use Aberdeen, Belfast, Benbecula, Bournemouth, Bristol, East Midlands,
Edinburgh, Exeter, Glasgow, Guernsey, Inverness, Kinloss, Isle of Man,
Jersey, Kirkwall, Newcastle, Stansted, Stornoway and Sumburgh. They
were certainly still using Stansted (CM) and East Midlands (DE) last year.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2021 11:26, charles wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Fair enough! Still, a (very) partial explanation...