Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Buck Turgidson

Default Cheapest Postage Method

I have a box that is about 2' by 2' by 3' high full of clothing I need
to send. It is a bit heavy since it is full of clothes.

Would USPS or UPS be cheaper to send these? What about USPS Media Rate?
Thanks for any replies.

Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"Buck Turgidson" wrote:

What about USPS Media Rate?

Sending non-media items by media rate is a really good way to get two guys with
suits and dark sunglasses to visit you. You don't want to mess with postal
inspectors.
Craig

"Buck Turgidson" wrote...

I have a box that is about 2' by 2' by 3' high full of clothing I need
to send. It is a bit heavy since it is full of clothes.

Would USPS or UPS be cheaper to send these?

Check both as well as FedEx Ground which may be a bit cheaper overall. Go
with the cheapest.

What about USPS Media Rate?

No no no!

Craig

Luke

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:48:48 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

I have a box that is about 2' by 2' by 3' high full of clothing I need
to send. It is a bit heavy since it is full of clothes.

Would USPS or UPS be cheaper to send these?

USPS, UPS, and Fedex all have websites where you can get costs. You
could also take it to a post office and UPS customer counter for
pricing.

What about USPS Media Rate?

Clothes aren't media.

--
Luke
"I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
-- George Herbert Walker Bush, April 26, 1999

wrote:

I have a box that is about 2' by 2' by 3' high full of clothing I need
to send. It is a bit heavy since it is full of clothes.

Would USPS or UPS be cheaper to send these? What about USPS Media Rate?
Thanks for any replies.

I have found DHL to be cheapest for oversized heavy boxes. OfficeMax
offers their services

Kendall P. Bullen

In article h3yEe.46533$rb6.29644@lakeread07,
"Buck Turgidson" wrote:

Would USPS or UPS be cheaper to send these?

Is there an independent packaging/shipping store in your area? We have
one that ships via several methods and will pick the cheapest between
FedEx & UPS. One time, they bluntly told me that I should go to the
post office because they were cheaper for what I was sending. I
wouldn't necessarily expect them to do that without prompting, but a
good store, if you ask, should have an idea about USPS rates and whether
they're better.

What about USPS Media Rate?

Perhaps you mean USPS parcel post, since clothes aren't media.

Cheers,
Kendall

--
Kendall P. Bullen http://www.his.com/~kendall/
kendall@---^^^^^^^

Never e-mail me copies of Usenet postings, please.
I do read the groups to which I post!
Bob Oberman

Buck Turgidson wrote:

I have a box that is about 2' by 2' by 3' high full of clothing I need
to send. It is a bit heavy since it is full of clothes.

Would USPS or UPS be cheaper to send these? What about USPS Media Rate?
Thanks for any replies.

I have found the cheapest way is Fed Express Ground service. They
aren't the fastest -- way but very inexpensive and dependable.

Bob Oberman
JimL

Not only that -- when travelling for extended stays, like over two
weeks, I have a few times shipped ahead a box or two of clothes,
prepaid labels printed off the net, and prepaid return labels for
pickup and delivery after I return. Just allow extra days at each end
of the trip. Most hotels are used to receiving and holding packages
for later arriving guests.
..
It saves schlepping luggage to and from the airport at each end of the
trip, and pays for itself since I can take public trans. to and from
the airport instead of cabs.
..
Finally, I have had luggage delayed, or lost, or damaged by the
airlines. Never any of that from Fed Ex. Plus online computer
tracking to show where it is each day.
..
One idea -- for your size box, check their prices online. Sometimes
two smaller boxes might go for less than one large. The boxes that
hold ten reams of paper are a nice average size for shipping.
..

Don Klipstein

In article , dbriggs wrote:
Bob Oberman wrote:
Buck Turgidson wrote:

I have a box that is about 2' by 2' by 3' high full of clothing I need
to send. It is a bit heavy since it is full of clothes.

Would USPS or UPS be cheaper to send these? What about USPS Media Rate?
Thanks for any replies.

I have found the cheapest way is Fed Express Ground service. They
aren't the fastest -- way but very inexpensive and dependable.

This package has length-plus-girth 2 inches more than the recent higher
limit of 130 inches by USPS.
Make this package 2 inches less long or 1/2 inch less wide/thick and you
can send it "Parcel Post", which should be adequately cheap!

I advise against sending it "Media Mail", since the size limit is no
better, prices are not much better, and should USPS detect content not
good for "Media Mail" the package comes back to you with at best you
losing the postage used in the attempt to get the package transported, and
the package could get bounced back to you at a pace as slow as you could
reasonably expect it to move at cut-rate postage rates!

Please compare "Parcel Post" to "Fedex Ground" and "UPS Ground".

One more note: UPS Ground takes 1 business day less than a
holiday-lacking week to move a package from northwestern Minnesota to
Philadelphia or Philly's suburbs!

- Don Klipstein )

Cheapest postage is to buy stamps below face value.

Google "discount postage".

Cheapest postage of all is UN stamps. If you are in NYC you use them at
UN Post Office. Only UN NY stamps can be used there.

I once saved over $70.00 by mailing a luggage cart full of envelopes
there.

Alternate shipping methods include Greyhound Bus. They hold at other
end for pick-up.

Incredibly low long distance phone rates. As low as USA-Canada 1.9CPM!
Works as prepaid phone card. PIN not needed for calls from home or cell
phone. Compare the rates at https://www.OneSuite.com/ No monthly fee or
minimum. Use Promotion/SuiteTreat Code: FREEoffer23 for FREE time

Adam H. Kerman

At 4:48pm -0400, 07/23/05, Buck Turgidson wrote:

I have a box that is about 2' by 2' by 3' high full of clothing I need
to send. It is a bit heavy since it is full of clothes.

Would USPS or UPS be cheaper to send these? What about USPS Media Rate?

The items you are sending aren't eligible for Media Rate, only parcel
post.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:49:23 -0600, someone wrote:

USPS, UPS, and Fedex all have websites where you can get costs. You
could also take it to a post office and UPS customer counter for
pricing.

Taking it from place to place fro pricing (and then back again after
the answer is obtained) seems like way more trouble than the maybe
couple of bucks difference would be worth.

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 01:49:08 -0400, someone wrote:

Perhaps you mean USPS parcel post, since clothes aren't media.

Maybe if he drew original art work on the clothes....

G Henslee

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I have a box that is about 2' by 2' by 3' high full of clothing I need
to send. It is a bit heavy since it is full of clothes.

One dozen carrier pigeons.
Adam H. Kerman

At 6:10pm -0400, 07/25/05, Eric Bustad wrote:
Adam H. Kerman wrote:
At 8:11am -0700, 07/25/05, wrote:

Cheapest postage is to buy stamps below face value.

You have a company that does that legally, for stamps that have not fallen
off the back of the truck?

Old stamps with obsolete values (i.e. 32 cents) can be bought quite
legally at large discounts. The original purchasers either bought them
originally as "investments", or had them left over when the rates
changed.

Yes, I am well aware that stamps may be resold. I am also aware that
stamps have been stolen and more than a few con artists have washed
postmarks off used postage, trying to sell the stamps for a subsequent
use.

Neither of you has named any legitimate company selling disccounted
stamps. I was curious if someone had a legal operation in mind.

Cheapest postage of all is UN stamps. If you are in NYC you use them at
UN Post Office. Only UN NY stamps can be used there.

I once saved over $70.00 by mailing a luggage cart full of envelopes
there.

Oh, THAT'S a good idea. That turns domestic mail into international mail
and subjects it to potential delay at customs, and possible loss of
privacy if they decide to open it.

Mail sent from the UN in NYC does not go through customs. It is already
within the US.

Despite being physcially located in the United States, it is treated as if
it were foreign territory, same as dimplomatic missions, embassies,
consulates of individual nations.

The only way that could be "domestic" mail is if it were sent to another
UN mission in another part of the world.

Eric Bustad

Adam H. Kerman wrote:

At 8:11am -0700, 07/25/05, wrote:

Cheapest postage is to buy stamps below face value.

You have a company that does that legally, for stamps that have not fallen
off the back of the truck?

Old stamps with obsolete values (i.e. 32 cents) can be bought quite
legally at large discounts. The original purchasers either bought them
originally as "investments", or had them left over when the rates
changed.

Yes, I am well aware that stamps may be resold. I am also aware that
stamps have been stolen and more than a few con artists have washed
postmarks off used postage, trying to sell the stamps for a subsequent
use.

Neither of you has named any legitimate company selling disccounted
stamps. I was curious if someone had a legal operation in mind.

http://www.hgitner.com/postage.html

This was the first result from a Google search for "discount postage".
They are a well established stamp dealership.

Cheapest postage of all is UN stamps. If you are in NYC you use them at
UN Post Office. Only UN NY stamps can be used there.

I once saved over $70.00 by mailing a luggage cart full of envelopes
there.

Oh, THAT'S a good idea. That turns domestic mail into international mail
and subjects it to potential delay at customs, and possible loss of
privacy if they decide to open it.

Mail sent from the UN in NYC does not go through customs. It is already
within the US.

Despite being physcially located in the United States, it is treated as if
it were foreign territory, same as dimplomatic missions, embassies,
consulates of individual nations.

The only way that could be "domestic" mail is if it were sent to another
UN mission in another part of the world.

The NYC UN office may be treated as foreign territory for many purposes,
but I don't think that there are any customs officials checking mail
sent from there. Section 608.2.1 of the DDM says:

Domestic mail is mail transmitted within, among, and between the
United States of America, its territories and possessions, Army
post offices (APOs), fleet post offices (FPOs), and the United
Nations, NY.

= Eric
Adam H. Kerman

Adam H. Kerman wrote:
At 8:11am -0700, 07/25/05, wrote:

[...]

As in, you've done business with them yourself?

[...]

Hm. I haven't looked at the provision in a very long time. In DMM 45
(1992) which I keep because I liked its layout, mail deposited at UN post
office is not domestic, while mail destined for the UN is domestic. I
wonder when it changed.

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:15:14 -0400, someone wrote:

Yes, but old UN postage is sold at a higher discount that old US
postage, as the hassle facter of having to mail it from the UN is
factored in.

It would hardly be worth it for me to go down to the UN to mail
something to save a buck and a half.

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
"Buck Turgidson" wrote:

What about USPS Media Rate?

Sending non-media items by media rate is a really good way to get two guys with
suits and dark sunglasses to visit you. You don't want to mess with postal
inspectors.

On Seinfeld, I remember Wilford Brimley as the Postmaster General
questioning Kramer behind closed doors when Kramer announced he wasn't
going to use USPS service anymore. Pretty funny. Kramer was quite
intimidated.

Adam H. Kerman wrote:
At 8:11am -0700, 07/25/05, wrote:

Cheapest postage is to buy stamps below face value.

You have a company that does that legally, for stamps that have not fallen
off the back of the truck?

Old stamps with obsolete values (i.e. 32 cents) can be bought quite
legally at large discounts. The original purchasers either bought them
originally as "investments", or had them left over when the rates
changed.

Yes, I am well aware that stamps may be resold. I am also aware that
stamps have been stolen and more than a few con artists have washed
postmarks off used postage, trying to sell the stamps for a subsequent
use.

I've re-used uncancelled stamps I've noticed on letters I receive. I
just cut them off the old mail and glue them onto my new envelopes.

Neither of you has named any legitimate company selling disccounted
stamps. I was curious if someone had a legal operation in mind.

There's a link elsewhere in this thread. I clicked through to that and
they offer a $100 (face value) mixed lot of old, unused US stamps for
$89.50, plus $3.50 shipping. So for $93, you get $100 of stamps.

Might be worthwhile in some cases, but mostly I mail letters and I
suspect using that lot to come up with exactly 37 cents of postage for
each of my letters might be a hassle for me. I suspect I'd often have
to use more than 37 cents (face value) of old stamps, thus eating into
the $7 I'd save.

BTW, it's possible to buy stamps by mail from the USPS. Just ask for
the form at any post office. You fill out the form and mail the form
in, no postage needed. Then your local PO mails you the stamps along
with a new blank order form. I've been using this service for years and
almost never need to go to the post office.

Eric Bustad

Adam H. Kerman wrote:
At 8:11am -0700, 07/25/05, wrote:

[...]

I have, actually, but I haven't bought any discount postage from them.
I don't send mail in high enough quantities to make it work while. And
most of the people that I send mail to are fellow collectors who would
prefer to get current commemorative stamps instead. And Gitner's prices
on discount postage are a bit high.

= Eric
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I have a box that is about 2' by 2' by 3' high full of clothing I need
to send. It is a bit heavy since it is full of clothes.

Would USPS or UPS be cheaper to send these? What about USPS Media Rate?
Thanks for any replies.

UPS has been historically cheaper for my computer stuff I send on ebay
from time to time. But I use USPS when I can because I like unions and
fair wages and whatnot, not that UPS does not give that, but I like USPS.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Adam H. Kerman

At 9:16pm -0400, 07/26/05, Eric Bustad wrote:
Adam H. Kerman wrote:

As in, you've done business with them yourself?

I have, actually, but I haven't bought any discount postage from them. I
don't send mail in high enough quantities to make it work while.

Thanks for letting me know.

And most of the people that I send mail to are fellow collectors who
would prefer to get current commemorative stamps instead.

Ah, yes, it's always fun to use commemoratives, although I could see using
old Love stamps when paying bills.

And Gitner's prices on discount postage are a bit high.

Do the others separate stamps by denomination too? It would seem to be a
great pain in the neck to get 5 pounds of postage stamps as a pile of
random denominations.
Eric Bustad

Adam H. Kerman wrote:

As in, you've done business with them yourself?

I have, actually, but I haven't bought any discount postage from them. I
don't send mail in high enough quantities to make it work while.

Thanks for letting me know.

And most of the people that I send mail to are fellow collectors who
would prefer to get current commemorative stamps instead.

Ah, yes, it's always fun to use commemoratives, although I could see using
old Love stamps when paying bills.

And Gitner's prices on discount postage are a bit high.

Do the others separate stamps by denomination too? It would seem to be a
great pain in the neck to get 5 pounds of postage stamps as a pile of
random denominations.

I haven't really shopped around for them, but I believe that some do
sell mixed denomination lots.

= Eric

I have also bought UN stamps on EBay.

But there you have to pay attention or else you will wind up with
stamps from UN Geneva Post Office.

I would love to buy in NYC one thosuand each of several denominations

Don Klipstein

In , Adam H. Kerman wrote
in part:

Do the others separate stamps by denomination too? It would seem to be a
great pain in the neck to get 5 pounds of postage stamps as a pile of
random denominations.

If I was on SSI or otherwise similarly forced to pinch pennies I would
sort a mixed bag of stamps for a discount!
Not that I know the numbers yet, but if I could buy a bag of mixed
stamps that I could use over 3 years and have price paid plus any wasted
value of overpostage of whatever combinations I used being 2/3 of face
value, I consider this a good investment if my time was cheap!
If an investment took 2 years to pay for itself and expired with a 50%
gain in 3 years, it is better than the long term average of investing the
money for 3 years in stock mutual funds! And on long term average, those
outperform bonds and bond funds, precious metals, real estate, and million
dollar CDs of any length maturity!

- Don Klipstein )
SMS

Bob Oberman wrote:
Buck Turgidson wrote:

I have a box that is about 2' by 2' by 3' high full of clothing I need
to send. It is a bit heavy since it is full of clothes.

Would USPS or UPS be cheaper to send these? What about USPS Media Rate?
Thanks for any replies.

I have found the cheapest way is Fed Express Ground service. They
aren't the fastest -- way but very inexpensive and dependable.

This is correct. I recently send a bicycle to a relative. The FedEx
Ground rate was about 1/2 of the UPS rate, but also of importance is
that FedEx has counters all over the area, so I don't have to drive ten
miles to UPS.
Adam H. Kerman

At 5:01am -0000, 07/30/05, SMS wrote:
Bob Oberman wrote:
Buck Turgidson wrote:

I have a box that is about 2' by 2' by 3' high full of clothing I need
to send. It is a bit heavy since it is full of clothes.

Would USPS or UPS be cheaper to send these? What about USPS Media
Rate?
Thanks for any replies.

I have found the cheapest way is Fed Express Ground service. They
aren't the fastest -- way but very inexpensive and dependable.

This is correct. I recently send a bicycle to a relative. The FedEx Ground rate
was about 1/2 of the UPS rate, but also of importance is that FedEx has
counters all over the area, so I don't have to drive ten miles to UPS.

How many years ago did UPS buy Mail Boxes Etc to give them counters
everywhere?