Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Looking for a hand operated drill bit holder

Used to see this on sale but can't find any suitable for holding standard twist drills from about 1mm to 4mm, 5mm if possible.

Mostly for use as a 'spot face cutter' for stripboard but would be handy for drilling and enlarging holes in thin ply wood and acrylic plastics up to 3mm thick, as most are pretty crap the vero ones are £12 each and just with a 3.5mm bit.

Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms as we have one it has a clutch type mechanism like a proper drill bit holder but designed be used by hand and has a bar attached like vices do for ease of use.

Need around 50 of them depending on price.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 3:25:40 PM UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
Used to see this on sale but can't find any suitable for holding standard twist drills from about 1mm to 4mm, 5mm if possible.

Mostly for use as a 'spot face cutter' for stripboard but would be handy for drilling and enlarging holes in thin ply wood and acrylic plastics up to 3mm thick, as most are pretty crap the vero ones are £12 each and just with a 3.5mm bit.

Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms as we have one it has a clutch type mechanism like a proper drill bit holder but designed be used by hand and has a bar attached like vices do for ease of use.

Need around 50 of them depending on price.

Sounds like you need whats called a pin vice, it will certainly hold small drills whether it will go up to 3.5 is another matter. Modellers use small drill holders based on the Archimedes model, may be a trawl round some model making websites might come up with something.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:

Used to see this on sale but can't find any suitable for holding standard twist drills from about 1mm to 4mm, 5mm if possible.

Mostly for use as a 'spot face cutter' for stripboard but would be handy for drilling and enlarging holes in thin ply wood and acrylic plastics up to 3mm thick, as most are pretty crap the vero ones are £12 each and just with a 3.5mm bit.

Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms as we have one it has a clutch type mechanism like a proper drill bit holder but designed be used by hand and has a bar attached like vices do for ease of use.

Need around 50 of them depending on price.

I've got a proper spot cutter for strip board. Very robust - and seems to
have stayed sharp for ages. I'd guess the cutter profile more suited to
this job than an ordinary drill too.

I've got a hand pin drill - but that won't take a big enough bit for spot
cutting. Think the maximum size about 1.5mm.

--
*I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2021 15:25, whisky-dave wrote:

Used to see this on sale but can't find any suitable for holding
standard twist drills from about 1mm to 4mm, 5mm if possible.

Mostly for use as a 'spot face cutter' for stripboard but would be
handy for drilling and enlarging holes in thin ply wood and acrylic
plastics up to 3mm thick, as most are pretty crap the vero ones are
£12 each and just with a 3.5mm bit.

Try "hand chuck". This might do. I prefer the Vero tool myself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184387636385

I have a nice ancient Stanley one from the old days when they still made
some quite decent tools.

Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms as we have one it has a clutch
type mechanism like a proper drill bit holder but designed be used by
hand and has a bar attached like vices do for ease of use.

Need around 50 of them depending on price.

If it is for a practical class then some sort of knurled thick wall tube
with a grub screw to hold the drill in position might be a better bet.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
I've got a proper spot cutter for strip board. Very robust - and seems to
have stayed sharp for ages. I'd guess the cutter profile more suited to
this job than an ordinary drill too.

Those typically have three straight blades at 120 degrees, while drill bits
have two (curved) blades. A spot cutter cuts material more vigorously than
a drill bit of equivalent size, at least at hand speeds.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
I've got a proper spot cutter for strip board. Very robust - and seems
to have stayed sharp for ages. I'd guess the cutter profile more
suited to this job than an ordinary drill too.

Those typically have three straight blades at 120 degrees, while drill
bits have two (curved) blades. A spot cutter cuts material more
vigorously than a drill bit of equivalent size, at least at hand speeds.

Indeed. And I'd say less likely to break than a twist drill. Pretty well
everlasting so should be good for Dave's work. Assuming they don't get
lost.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 16:13:22 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 12/05/2021 15:25, whisky-dave wrote:

Used to see this on sale but can't find any suitable for holding
standard twist drills from about 1mm to 4mm, 5mm if possible.

Mostly for use as a 'spot face cutter' for stripboard but would be
handy for drilling and enlarging holes in thin ply wood and acrylic
plastics up to 3mm thick, as most are pretty crap the vero ones are
£12 each and just with a 3.5mm bit.

Try "hand chuck". This might do. I prefer the Vero tool myself.

We do too but the decent ones are expensive. £12 .

Thought we'd found a bargin with these £1.50, to £1 each but they are total crap
can't cut stripboard it just slides doesn;t even attempt to cut.

https://onecall.farnell.com/duratool...27?ost=pc01227

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184387636385

That's interesting and a possibility and a few others.

I have a nice ancient Stanley one from the old days when they still made
some quite decent tools.
Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms as we have one it has a clutch
type mechanism like a proper drill bit holder but designed be used by
hand and has a bar attached like vices do for ease of use.

Need around 50 of them depending on price.

If it is for a practical class then some sort of knurled thick wall tube
with a grub screw to hold the drill in position might be a better bet.

Not sure a grub screw would do the job, so far the best option seems to be buy one
of those cheap screwdrivers that have the small hex bits in the handle and then buy some hex
drill bits.
These things need to be used by students at home and these items will be kept by them,
and we'll need to replace the broken or lost parts for 3 years of their course.

I'll have to write an instruction sheet and H&S /risk assesment too,
such as do not stick in your ears or any other orifice etc...
without being rude, racist, sexist, offensive...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 May 2021 at 00:26:07 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
I've got a proper spot cutter for strip board. Very robust - and seems
to have stayed sharp for ages. I'd guess the cutter profile more
suited to this job than an ordinary drill too.

Those typically have three straight blades at 120 degrees, while drill
bits have two (curved) blades. A spot cutter cuts material more
vigorously than a drill bit of equivalent size, at least at hand speeds..

Indeed. And I'd say less likely to break than a twist drill. Pretty well
everlasting so should be good for Dave's work. Assuming they don't get
lost.

Yes of course the proper tool is better but also more expensive
we used to get them for about £4 each have about 30 in the lab ,
but for some reason maybe Brexit or covid prices are £12 to £17 although is
one does a reasonable job.
https://www.rapidonline.com/rapid-st...-3-5mm-34-0608

Both students and academics have liked the idea of having their practical
labs & projects doable from home especailly during covid and we are planing for next year.
Most of our vero cutters from the lab have been posted off and won't be returning.
So will need replacing we've spent quite a bit this year to support students
and we are hoping they are happy with that support, awaiting the national student survey
reports.
going forward this might also be a better way for students as working from home is far cheaper
for some than having to pay £130 or more per week for accommodation on top of their fees.
We might be able to attract more students with this option too, which I think is the idea.

There's also a push to get studetns doing more practical work than just being keyboard monkeys
..

--
*If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 3:25:40 PM UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
Used to see this on sale but can't find any suitable for holding standard twist drills from about 1mm to 4mm, 5mm if possible.

Mostly for use as a 'spot face cutter' for stripboard but would be handy for drilling and enlarging holes in thin ply wood and acrylic plastics up to 3mm thick, as most are pretty crap the vero ones are £12 each and just with a 3.5mm bit.

Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms as we have one it has a clutch type mechanism like a proper drill bit holder but designed be used by hand and has a bar attached like vices do for ease of use.

Need around 50 of them depending on price.

A replacement wooden file handle with a drill bit epoxied in does the job. They come in a variety of sizes and the smaller one for 200mm files are just right holewise.

Richard