Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Looking for a hand operated drill bit holder

On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 16:13:22 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 12/05/2021 15:25, whisky-dave wrote:

Used to see this on sale but can't find any suitable for holding
standard twist drills from about 1mm to 4mm, 5mm if possible.

Mostly for use as a 'spot face cutter' for stripboard but would be
handy for drilling and enlarging holes in thin ply wood and acrylic
plastics up to 3mm thick, as most are pretty crap the vero ones are
£12 each and just with a 3.5mm bit.

Try "hand chuck". This might do. I prefer the Vero tool myself.

We do too but the decent ones are expensive. £12 .

Thought we'd found a bargin with these £1.50, to £1 each but they are total crap
can't cut stripboard it just slides doesn;t even attempt to cut.

https://onecall.farnell.com/duratool...27?ost=pc01227

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184387636385

That's interesting and a possibility and a few others.

I have a nice ancient Stanley one from the old days when they still made
some quite decent tools.
Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms as we have one it has a clutch
type mechanism like a proper drill bit holder but designed be used by
hand and has a bar attached like vices do for ease of use.

Need around 50 of them depending on price.

If it is for a practical class then some sort of knurled thick wall tube
with a grub screw to hold the drill in position might be a better bet.

Not sure a grub screw would do the job, so far the best option seems to be buy one
of those cheap screwdrivers that have the small hex bits in the handle and then buy some hex
drill bits.
These things need to be used by students at home and these items will be kept by them,
and we'll need to replace the broken or lost parts for 3 years of their course.

I'll have to write an instruction sheet and H&S /risk assesment too,
such as do not stick in your ears or any other orifice etc...
without being rude, racist, sexist, offensive...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown